SQ5 SQ5 or Allroad BiTDI

Kwatrow

Reaction score
Just wondered what other forum users thought regarding the pros and cons. I have posted in the other section as well.

I'm bias....SQ5.

Practical without being so large it's a pain to park. The A6 is a big wagon...

I have a Q7 but recently I was in the dealer and as a loaner they gave me a new all-road, To be honest it was fine but really lacking in space for me. I then drove an RSQ5 and was not overly impressed as I saw no advantages over my Q7. I guess I really like the extra space it provides, although I have never even had the 3rd row seats up!
I think its a matter of size and if they are equally ok for you then either would be a fine choice, but drive a Q7 as well.

I've got a Cayenne at the moment (and an Audi) but my wife finds it a bit wide in country lanes. My daughter and son in law drive a Q7 and C6 Allroad respectively and I've driven them both. Funnily enough it is possible to drive the Q7 with a lot more confidence although I would have thought it was larger than the Cayenne. The C6 Allroad is just a very nice drive, but getting on a bit now. I feel the Q7 would be unnecessarily large for just the two of us with occasional dog minding duty. I wonder how much larger the C7 Allroad feels over the C6. We got the Cayenne because of the visibility the comes with its height and hence the appeal of the SQ5. Either way I really fancy the BiTDI engine.

Ive decided on a bitdi as well and have looked at both. Lovely motors but the Allroad is a fair bit bigger and I don't really need the extra space. The A6 attracts a much better discount though, 19% on carwow compared to 8.3 on the sq5 plus which meant that similarly specced models come out at about the same price.
I've decided on an sq5 plus, it's a bit sportier and ticks all the boxes for me, choosing the colour is the main 'problem', I'm not 100% sold on any of the standard options, daytona (the one I want) is over £2k extra and I'm way over my original budget already.

I've had my SQ5 for 6 months now after an 8V S3 SB. Love the way it drives, (the linear thrust from the biturbo engine is addictive) and the economy (regularly get 40+ mpg) and no I don't drive it like a nun. Go for the pano roof if possible to lighten up the interior and definitely get the parking camera and B & O sound. Mine is in Mythos black - looks fantastic for 5 minutes then shows every spec of dirt and is a sod to keep clean. The 21" wheels will give you a firm ride but the 20's look a bit naff (IMHO) and all the SQ5's I've seen lately have the 21's so this seems the default choice. Enjoy the SQ5 Plus - you've made a wise choice and the engine isn't affected by the current dieselgate scandal. One thing to be aware of is when the DPF regenerates - the first time I experienced this I got a really strong burning rubber smell and I thought the car was going to catch fire but apparently it is nothing unusual particularly on the SQ5 where it seems to regen frequently, even after a long motorway haul.

Reactions: SteveMcB
Had a test drive in one a couple of days ago and was very impressed with the speed but probably more the handling. Didn't feel like any other suv I've ever driven, no perceptible body roll even on the twisty bits, had ADS which I've never used before and would say this is a must for the model and should be included as standard. Haven't been in one with dynamic steering option but the dynamic setting in ADS was perfect for me.
The only gripes I've got is the limited colour choice, daytona is what we both want but is over £2k extra so that is out, my wife doesn't like black or sepang, neither of us wants white or red, which really only leaves monsoon or lava. Lava is nice but I don't think there will be enough contrast with trim on the plus being all black. Problems, problems but I think I've answered my own question.
Having said that she saw a black Audi the other day which was a 'purple sort of black and quite nice'. I'm guessing maybe panther which is 200 extra on the plus and may be an option if we could see one in the flesh.
The factory tow bar is a bit of a joke as well, really neat bit of kit but sits too close to the bumper for Alko stabiliser hitches, probably the most common on the road, and not fully wiring the 13 pin plug is also daft, the sales rep told me it is at least 5 hours labour (at rates a lawyer would be embarrassed to charge) plus parts to fit the additional loom to make it UK spec. Forces me down the aftermarket route, Audi have missed a trick here.

AS far as I'm aware the factory fit towbars are in fact manufactured by Westfalia. My local independent Audi garage Autotechnica in Hull could do the job for a fraction of the dealer cost (they wanted £1,000 to supply and fit!!) and he's an Audi Master technician who I know would do the job properly.

I would go for the factory fit if it was a bit longer and fully wired, it's a neat swivel system which folds up behind the bumper and on face value pretty reasonable at £650ish. I don't think it can be retrofitted (could be wrong) but you're right, for Audi to fit a 'normal' westfalia detachable they are talking stupid money, around £2K I was told!
I can get fitted a fully wired detachable westfalia with the car coded for less than Audi want in labour charges just to change over a piece of the OME wiring harness.
It seems crazy to me that the OME is not fit for purpose, I would have thought that a lot of Q5s would be used for towing.

I've been moaning about the tow bar, took a ruler and measured the gap from the centre of the tow ball to the valance, 69mm, 70 at a push. Alko specify a minimum gap of 68mm. Have decided to take a chance and have the factory one fitted, I'll just have to be really careful hitching up.
Shopped around a bit more and have now found a dealer who is offering a better discount on the car and is fully wiring the tow bar free of charge.
Original dealer assured me it was a complex task, over £700 in labour plus the part, dealer I'm going with says its an easy fix.