SQ5 SQ5 Fuel Efficiency in Town / Dual Carriageway

Leebroath

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Since looking at Q7’s and prices, we have placed a reservation on a 2020 SQ5 Glacier White

We have had in the past A4, A7 (3.0) and then jumped to a Q5 (2.0)

Now my question is regarding fuel economy, how well does the SQ5 run on Diesel,

At present we get around 590 miles on a full tank, and that’s mainly Town and Dual carriageway travelling to Dundee / Aberdeen etc.

We did have a 3.0 A7 before and we got around the same mileage as the Q5 so I’m hoping it’s just a little worse due to the Engine in the SQ5

I do understand if I floor the car the usage of fuel will rocket lol

You’ll get 30-40 mpg. Winter town driving maybe 25. Hoon it like a hooligan mid 20’s. At least that seems to be what I’m getting.

Reactions: Leebroath and paul wev
I’ve driven today Newcastle to Sheffield, 150miles, motorway/dual carriageway, at 70 on cruise. Is showing 43mpg on the computer, average speed of 59mph, 2 up with a full boot.

Reactions: Leebroath
Nice efficiency with Fuel

We went up to Audi and tried the SQ5, wow what a beast.

Although noticed 2 things wrong when we went out, both front windows sort of shaked when going over bumps, not much, but you could def hear it (in Scotland we would call it shoogling), and they were fully closed. Also my other half noticed the brake pedal clicked when lifting off.

Explained this when we got back and was advised they will look at the windows and the click was a known fault, it’s the Servo. My thought going down the road was, if it’s only just done a 149 point check last week, how on earth was that missed.

Apart from that, it’s a cracking car and probably going for it :)

Not heard any shoogling here (I’m originally from Forfar, though anglicised since 1996). Car has only done 3400m in last 10mths, so not even run in Properly for a diesel, would expect it to improve beyond 10-15k. It is a very nice car.

Yeh ours has only done 7450 miles, when would the next service be?

and when would an SQ5 be run in properly, maybe 10k ?

And honestly, who’s daft idea was it to stick a peace of plastic at the back exhaust,

why on earth they hid the 4 tail pipes begs belief :(

Wonder if there is a way to show them off, but then who wants to see 4 turned to the floor pipes

A12F9A9A 38DA 4FEB 895D 13286A6B5926

If you look underneath, there is only 2 exhaust pipes on one side. Makes a reasonable noise though.

Diesels usually get better with age, previous cars I’ve had gave best economy at 40-50k.

Service wise it’s a variable interval, 20k miles or 2 years for oil change. Looks like mine will be 2 yrs/15k miles according to myAudi app. Too many short lockdown journeys.

What spec is one you are looking at?

Only 2 exhaust tips…my god!

What did Audi do, 1st gen was a lovely 4 silver twin pipes at each side, the 2nd gen they hide them away behind plastic and only 2 tips, then the 3rd gen back to 4 silver twin pipes… so 2nd Gen was a design flop haha

All it had on the Audi website was Comfort and Sound pack, but managed to get the short spec details below, which I think isnt the full picture. Is there any site I can punch in the VIN and it will detail every bit if kit it has?

Model Description
Audi SQ5 TDI 347 PS tiptronic

View Vehicle Specification
Optional extras
1. Equipment and design packages
[WB3] Comfort and Sound Pack
-[KA2] Rear-view camera
-[QQ2] Extended LED Interior Lighting
-[9VS] Bang & Olufsen sound system
-[4F2] Central locking system "Keyless Entry"
Colours
Interior Trim Colours - Seats/Dashboard/Carpet/Headliner
-[EI] Black/Black-Black/Black/Black
Exterior colours (metallic)
-[2Y2Y] Glacier white, metallic

New Facelift version, the 4 round pipes are completely fake, still has same turndown exhaust behind. It has a powered resonator on it though so gives a good grumble in my opinion.

sorry don’t have a vin decode site. The std sq5 is quite high spec with a couple of exceptions. No heated wheel on the flat bottom version for instance. You can get the full spec on the myaudi app once setup. Mine is a vorsprung, so virtually every option bar extended storage (why is this not std?.) and carbon mirrors.

Yeh the Audi App states our car doesn’t have the Headlight washer but when we test drove I saw it had the small panels. Tried to get it to work with the lights on but wouldn’t go… is that standard on a 2nd gen? Would they really have put to fake plates? :(

New Facelift version, the 4 round pipes are completely fake, still has same turndown exhaust behind. It has a powered resonator on it though so gives a good grumble in my opinion.
The SQ5's exhaust rumble (I've owned 2) is totally fake as there are loudspeakers in the tail pipes, lest you might think I'm snotty RSQ3 owner...however whilst we have real visible exhaust outlets each side its still fake noise reproduced through the audio system (turned off in mine). This is the last gasp before we have to drive glorified golf carts.

Reactions: Leebroath and paul wev
Yep, due to EU regs manufacturers have been piping in fake noise for years now. Still, the grumble in the cabin and stood outside is imho still pretty good. The powered resonator system at least keeps the noise completely in time/tune to the revs and road speed/gear changes, something which my previous Lexus Is300h couldn’t do.

I get my induction and exhaust noise fix from driving a classic mini. Twin 1 1/2” SU’s, ram pipes and an RC40 exhaust, glorious.

Back to the Headlight Washers

I’ve just been advised that all Q5’s have the same bumper covers including the washer panels. Cars with LED headlight systems due to the high intensity of the light it’s not required.

So anyone with a Audi with LED lights won’t have the washer system apparently.

I’ve driven today Newcastle to Sheffield, 150miles, motorway/dual carriageway, at 70 on cruise. Is showing 43mpg on the computer, average speed of 59mph, 2 up with a full boot.
I did home to my mums, 128 miles, mainly on the M1 ending in Derbyshire, mostly at 77 on cruise but some slow bits and roadworks, averaged 60mph and car says 34.2mpg. I have checked it brim to brim and it’s not far out normally.

not bad for 450ps.

See when you change the mode from Auto to Dynamic, has anyone heard a note change (roar when valves open)

We tried to do this on the test drive, as I saw an Audi guy do this on a presentation video, and when he clicked on Dynamic there was a small beefy roar.

Yes, Dynamic mode sets the exhaust to sport and increases the rumble from the powered resonator. If you click the gearbox into sport mode it is most pronounced. Efficiency mode or comfort is quietest. Auto mode the car try’s to change parameters based on your driving style. There is also an individual mode where you can select your own.

See when you change the mode from Auto to Dynamic, has anyone heard a note change (roar when valves open)

We tried to do this on the test drive, as I saw an Audi guy do this on a presentation video, and when he clicked on Dynamic there was a small beefy roar.
I don't think the SQ5 has a valved exhaust system like an RS? The SQ5 is equipped with an electrically powered loudspeaker in the exhaust system that creates a synthetic exhaust sound... have a Google.

Reactions: paul wev
Really….urghhh so just a powered loudspeaker

I suppose having the 350bhp is the charm of the car, and not how it propels the sound lol

I think it is: Advance key/Keyless go, Extended interior lighting and B&O Stereo.

The bits I’m not sure about as they keep changing things, but is an easy check: 360 camera ( should see a camera in nose and under mirrors plus if hit reverse have you got extra options on the revserse camera screen). And hands free boot opening, kick your foot under the boot and it should open.

Yeh I’ve noticed that Audi webpage does like to exaggerate sometimes

Have found out after enquiring, that the Comfort and Sound pack on a Q7 doesn’t always include the 360 camera or Park Assist, which is very confusing as the pop up on the webpage clearly states it does. So anything you see on the web take with a pinch of salt.

Our Q5 def doesn’t have the 360 or the kick to open boot, as I looked under and took a photo into the space for a towbar

28DF6EB2 27E8 4649 A05E D2BB255F3AFB

Can anyone confirm what is included in the Comfort and Sound package with the 2020 SQ5?
I've not long taken delivery of a 2021 SQ5, can confirm it's the same as previous model. Advanced key with electric tailgate, B&O Sound System, 360 Camera and extended LED interior lighting pack.

have now checked brim to brim calc from 2 tanks over 850miles of mixed motorway, town and stuff up and down the Peak district - 36.1mpg overall. So pretty close to the computer, and very happy given the car and its newness.

Nice,
My other half just picked up our 2020 SQ5 from Aberdeen yesterday :)

Filled the tank and it states 565 miles to a full tank, which is pretty close to what we go for the Q5 at 590

Pretty chuffed at that actually, I was worrying it was going to be a lot less