SQ5 SQ5 Engine Sound; Is it artificial?

mxnrg

Reaction score
Having watched/read all the reviews out there for the 2016/18 SQ5 3.0 V6T Petrol and I’m not clear on if engine sounds are pumped into the cars cabin via the audio speakers, can Anyone confirm? The car sounds pretty good from the outside with a nice growl but on my 20 minutes test drive I didn’t perceive of any artificial engine sound in the cabin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having only been out in the new SQ5 a couple of times I don't believe there was any noise pumped into the cabin via the speakers, but to be fair I wasn't listening for it. I've seen a some reviews suggesting the engine and gearbox had been tuned to sound beefier, with the pops, burbles and bangs during shifts and letting off the throttle. Could that be what it is?

It was a couple of written reviews that suggested it was piped engine sound. But all the videos I’ve seen seem to indicate real sounds from the exhaust that get into the cabin...

Don't think so, the pipes may not be visible but does get pretty noisy.

Source: Wound the windows down and rev'ed.

I havent noticed its artificial in my car - it is noisier in sport mode though but not sure if that is some exhaust valving trickery or what...

It’s not valves but electronically generated via acoustic boxes in the exhaust on my sq5 tdi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a new petrol SQ5 and there is some electronic noise trickery going on there for sure.

It sounds ok on the outside, but it’s only got a single exhaust on the rhs and whilst that can make some decent noises, with the windows up - given the superb sound deafening and double glazing - there is def a ‘second soundtrack’ playing.

Not too bad tho.

Reactions: paul wev
Interesting description Dan_G, it must have been subtle as I totally missed it on my test drive, or I’m a bit deaf...

Switch between Auto and Dynamic and you can hear it kick in - it’s definitely not just some valve opening in the rear box.

Sounds more like a cross between a wrx and a V8 than a v6 imo.

Reactions: dansage
I've got a diesel SQ5, it's got 2 sound actuators (speakers I suppose) in the rear silencers which generate artificial noise out of the exhaust. It's not plumbed into the hifi speakers though.
I was under the impression that the new petrol SQ5 had a 'normal' exhaust, ie no electronic trickery needed for it's pops and bangs?

Pops and bangs are generated in the exhaust and you can hear them quite well inside the cabin but they are muted - whereas the ‘exhaust note’ is clearly audible.

The sound of the engine in Dynamic is definitely piped through some speakers as it sounds all around (the new SQ5 has one exhaust on the rear rhs) and I don’t think it’s a mic in the exhaust, rather some electronic soundtrack playing.

It should also get louder as you accelerate if it was real, but it doesn’t.

It’s a bit of a shame once you figure that out - but not the end of the world.

In auto, it’s pin drop quiet at 70mph....

Pops and bangs are generated in the exhaust and you can hear them quite well inside the cabin but they are muted - whereas the ‘exhaust note’ is clearly audible.

The sound of the engine in Dynamic is definitely piped through some speakers as it sounds all around (the new SQ5 has one exhaust on the rear rhs) and I don’t think it’s a mic in the exhaust, rather some electronic soundtrack playing.

Every day's a school day, I get them wanting to drown out the tractorish echos of the bitdi but don't understand why they've done that to a 3.0 petrol, which sounds good anyway, surely a flap would have been the better way to go?

Experience and technical knowledge

Reactions: mxnrg
I don't believe it is sourced through the sound system , as it sounds the same with it off ...in Dynamic/Sport it's a sound I'll never get tired of

Reactions: dansage and mxnrg

My 2018 sq5 3.0 petrol has exhausts both sides? I’d say there was no trickery going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Yes, sorry, having spent a bit more time with mine, on start up only the rhs exhaust opens for some reason and then the lhs once it’s run for 30 seconds or so.

I’ve had a look underneath too and def has exhausts both sides.

Doh!

Reactions: NevMan
There is a sound actuator on the firewall of the later sq5 that gives enhanced engine noise in the cabin, the volume controlled in service menu. Also speakers in a can/s as part of the exhaust at the rear that amplify enhanced exhaust noise outside at the rear when selected via engine mode. The speaker enclosures can look like some sought of muffler. There is also a flap which opens or restricts the exhaust flow depending on engine mode selected.

DON'T care, just LOVE it! And switchable, too :yahoo:

I’ve just bought a 2018 SQ5 and noticed there are two tailpipes, but, on tickover, only the right hand one is working, what’s that all about?

the other one has a flap that opens in certain modes of operation for less restricted exhaust. I suspect is closed in comfort mode, open in dynamic and maybe open at other times dependant on what has been programmed by Audi.