Spurios oil level warnings V8 S4???????

GeoffDunk

Reaction score
Website
www.gdluxurytransport.co.uk
Has anyone experienced spurious oil level warnings with the V8 S4?

I know my car uses oil and I accept that fact as I love the vehicle but between real top-ups my low level oil warring pipes up 5 or six times but when check the oil level is still at an acceptable level.

This is really annoying; I have changed the oil pressure switch £72, rocker cover gaskets and I know the rear engine seal leaks but its not a case of the oil actually low as such but false reports. I have noticed once I check the oil as in pop the bonnet and pull the dipstick the warning goes away.

Also, in hard left turns I get the brake level warning flash up in red for the 5 or 5 seconds and then once I'm driving straight again it goes out. The warning only appears under hard left cornering. Break fluid level is spot on by the way.

Hopefully some of you guys may know or have seen these two problems before.

Cheers

Geoff

Last edited:
geoff

check you have the correct oil pressure switch fitted as the switches themselves can vary with the level they need to put up an alarm
from between 0.6 - 1.4 bar
however if you were suffering an oil pressure problem related to the oil pressure switch the indication would be in red not yellow
if its in yellow and you keep getting it come up , it may well be the sensor itself in the bottom of the oil pan that requires looking at
cant really help on the brake issue im afraid

geoff

check you have the correct oil pressure switch fitted as the switches themselves can vary with the level they need to put up an alarm
from between 0.6 - 1.4 bar
however if you were suffering an oil pressure problem related to the oil pressure switch the indication would be in red not yellow
if its in yellow and you keep getting it come up , it may well be the sensor itself in the bottom of the oil pan that requires looking at
cant really help on the brake issue im afraid

Thanks for the reply, def the correct OPS, double checked that just in case. I didn't know about a sensor in the oil pan so will check that next. The warning (yellow) is a low level warning not an oil pressure warning and its just ****** annoying.

Still trying to understand the brake warning which I got at start up this morning.

I would think the oil level switch in the sump. Done 2 s4's lately and my own 2.5 with these problems and solved it.

I have my mechanic do all my work as I can now afford to not get my hands dirty ;-), also far too busy to fit car work in anymore.

So just so I am clear, there is a 2nd oil pressure switch in the sump? As I have already had one replaced recently and double checked the part number as I had heard there was more than one type.

Mine occasionally threw a warning after a long journey, like over 400 miles, but when checked the level was fine.
It hasn't done it for a couple of years now, but when it popped the light last time I was on the way back from Monaco last year (2k miles return trip in 4 days) and it did actually need oil.
Always best to check it when the light does come on.

the oil pressure switch is behind the oil filter housing (just look directly behind it)
the oil level sensor is in the sump and has 4 or 5 connections on it and a multiplug

to change the sensor unfortunatly you need to drop the oil as the sensor itself is in the sump
apparently you can damage the sensor by not having oil in the car and turning the ignition on (as if changing the oil )