springs

marknjayne

Reaction score
had my car lowered and to my eyes it dont look right,looks like it sits too high at the front so my question is,can just front springs be bought and where from?

after 100 miles it should have settled by now,i have had quite a few cars lowered and they all take about 50-100 miles,IMO this looks a bit too low at the rear and a bit too high at the front

DPM do you do just front springs?

4117583e.jpg

4c78f36c.jpg

after 100 miles it should have settled by now,i have had quite a few cars lowered and they all take about 50-100 miles,IMO this looks a bit too low at the rear and a bit too high at the front

DPM do you do just front springs?

4117583e.jpg

4c78f36c.jpg

These two photos could be a bit misleading and exaggerate the arch gap difference.
The first one is shot from low down and from the front, and the second one looks like your car is on a slight slope... so both will give the effect of having a higher front.

But saying that... lowering by the same amount all round is always going to give you reverse rake on an A3. That's why there are kits that lower the front by 10mm more than the rear, and even then you can still get a tiny bit of RR.

So in a nut shell, I'm not at all surprised by your car's stance.

my drive is bang on flat bud,dont H&R or eibach do 35 or 40 mm springs for the 3.2?

Your camera is wonky then. ;)

Eibach only do 30mm springs for the 3.2 but I'm sure that h&r do 35mm springs for it.

I wouldn't fit just two front h&r 35mm springs though for safety reason, and also an extra 5mm lower at the front won't be noticeable.

Looks like coilovers could be the best solution for you. As has been said, the A3 does suffer from excess arch gappage at the front anyway so an even all round drop will still give this effect with just a slightly smaller gap.

it wont make it any less safe,the rates will be very very similar and there is not really anything else to make it unsafe by doing that but thats not my intention (was hoping Apex did a 35-40mm spring that i could use on the front),i think i may end up either returning back to stock to be honest,not much seems to be going right with this car,costing me a ****** fortune

H&R don't sell just the front springs so you'd need to buy the full kit.

Damian @ DPM Performance

was the full kit i was thinking of but going on the above statements it seems whatever springs i fit i will have the same problem

it wont make it any less safe,the rates will be very very similar and there is not really anything else to make it unsafe

Maybe unsafe was the wrong word, but I wouldn't want to mix and match two different brand springs of different heights. I doubt it'll do your handling much good. But you're not going to do that anyway. :laugh:

I don't think your car looks bad as it is, and this............

4c78f36c.jpg

....looks better than this............

aaa.jpg

So I'd keep it as it is.

Cant really see why anyone fits springs any more when budget coilovers are now only like £200 and the ride will be just as good and probably better than most springs with mismatched, worn out OEM dampers.

I wouldn't waste any more money on springs.

because budget coilovers are budget for a reason,they are made of cheaper materials so will not last and as the standar shocks are fine and give a good quality ride i see no need for coilovers,all i want to do is drop 30mm,thats all,not 30 on the rear and +5 on the front like the Apex springs have done

Cant really see why anyone fits springs any more when budget coilovers are now only like £200 and the ride will be just as good and probably better than most springs with mismatched, worn out OEM dampers.

I wouldn't waste any more money on springs.

Total generalisation there.

My car is on lowering springs with 50k miles OEM sport shocks, and I bet the ride is "better" than cheapo coilovers.

Total generalisation there.

I bet the ride is "better" than cheapo coilovers.

Very big generalisation on my part with infinite variables, but in my experience its not, but we all have our opinions and makes our choices
wink.gif

sounds bad and people will say not to do this but i had the same problem with a golf i lowered a few years back and all i did was take of the front springs and cut half a coil off from the bottom of the spring as it is inactive and does not effect the springs performance in any way .
just make sure you use a cold damp cloth locally on the springs were you cut it as you do not want to heat it up in any way with the grinder.
I had no problems and made it look a hell of alot better and stopped it looking like a squatting dog .

Only a suggestion !

coming from modifying a lot of cars such as building fast road/track skylines from stock,Mercs,Mg's,vauxhalls etc i am not shy with things like this but if im honest i have had enough messing with things such as what you are suggesting,i just want an off the shelf fit and forget

anyone who wants to know how much the rear seats/spare wheel and polystyrene with the jack etc weights....well,almost 10mm lol

the spare itself weighs loads,the rear seats (especially the double side one) weighs quite a bit too

coilovers going on when they turn up so itll look better then but it shows how much weight can be removed

(by the way the audi is now a second car that im going to use on track days etc,stripping weight from it,upgrading brakes and engine tune etc etc)

4c78f36c.jpg

393da75d.jpg