Springs or Coilovers..??

L55DSW

Reaction score
I've been reading about springs and coilovers for my S3 and i can not decide which to go for, i'm not looking to sit it on its **** so are coilovers really worth while..?? i have read on here that a lot of you have switched from coilovers to a spring set up..??

Does anyone have a pic of your car on the 30mm spring setup..??

Thanks..

All depends on what drop you're looking for and also what you're wanting to spend.

Springs and shocks tend to be a more comfortable option where as coilovers have the advantage of being able to get the height exactly how you want it.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Personally I wouldn't go for coilovers.. just for the fact that I doubt you'll ever adjust them after you've fitted them :)

I went for the AP Suspension Kit for around £400 and no complaints so far! Popular option on here is billestein B8's with H&R springs.. however they are more expensive than the AP kit.

i put the apex 30mm lowering springs on mine, the camber on the rear was way too much. so i had to put adjustable tie arms on the rear and get it geometry aligned, ill put some pics up in a short while.

Thanks guys, yes i like my comfort ha, thats true once the coilovers would be on id never adjust them..
I thought the camber was adjustable as standard? how much are the tie arms..??

if you going for a big turbo upgrade in the future i would say invest into some coilover :)

Personally I don't see the advantage of coilovers being the fact you can keep adjusting them, I see it as being the fact you can get the stance exactly how you want it.

For comfort though I'd go for a good quality springs and shocks option.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I had weitec coilovers but with 18 inch wheels they were too harsh for me.

Since changed to Eibach Pro springs and Koni STR.T shocks (Cost £398 total) and am really happy with the ride and handling.

I have the Eibach Pro kit installed on OEM shocks. Sits perfectly, ride quality is comfortable and not harsh at all.

audi_lowered_correctly.jpg

Reactions: JNP
Thanks for the info guys, thats really helpful, i can see your point damian about getting it to sit right thanks again..

It dont matter what turbo you have lol

Shocks and springs are more for comfort
Coilovers are for adjustibg and If anythibg,better for track!

Who needs coilovers?

Apex Springs, Bilstein Shocks, FK lowering caps, new strut tops and bearing up front aswell when this pic was taken, I have since fitted adjustable camber bars on the rear also.
A99B8130-629A-4FA0-8076-88C057D82587-6799-000004C3189433C0.jpg

Reactions: L55DSW
It means you've been crippled by your big turbo build, you can only afford a set of cheap coilovers, instead of a real suspension setup! :laugh:
Get the suspension first.... Then you don't have to suffer the Joms or the Jamex..... I had some on mine.... And for the life of me I don't know why.... Well I do...lol But it didn't take long before my spine and car where slowly rattling to bits and I thought get this freakin sh@te of my car....lol..... Billy's and Eibach all the way....👍

Reactions: s3dave