Spot/Fog Lights.

Josh84

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but its been bugging me. ive noticed quite a lot recently mainly on newer cars that they have had their spot lights on, but sometimes only 1 is on, and sometiomes 1 will be on then go off, or both on and will go off. pretty sure its not the driver turning them off as ive seen it too often lately, does anyone know why they do this? Is this something that they have been designed to do, or is it just ive seen a lot of cars with faulty lights?

The lights are steering sensitive. The left fog light will switch on when the car turns left to illuminate the road it's turning into. Some cars have headlights that actually swivel, the fog light option is a cheaper electronic way of doing it.

So is this quite a new thing then? As ive only seen it on fairly new cars. i dont think my 2004 A3 does it.

It is a new thing, I asked the question a while ago too, I only ever used to see it on new Mercs and thought they must have a serious fault if they all drive around with one ****** fog lit!!

Apparently its steering assist or something like that which helps to light up the road when they turn...lol!!

Whatever next.

I find it quite annoying, and I can't see it really aids visibility very much. More and more manufacturers seem to be following Mercedes's lead though.