1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sports exhaust question

wuta3 Aug 17, 2020

1. wuta3

wuta3 Registered User

So i'm currently planning a stage 3 build without getting in to internals, but I have a question about the OEM sports exhaust (black tips) on pre-OPF (2018) RS3...

Am I right that:
    1. The stock exhaust only has cats on the DP no secondary cats?
    2. The sports exhaust isn't restrictive, only a decat DP required?
    3. Is a decat DP strictly required? ie, are there any examples of 600+ being reached with the stock sports exhaust?
    Cheers

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

1) Yes Cat is on downpipe right after the turbo
    2) Yes DP required
    3) Yes you should as thermally it’s too close to the turbo and with higher levels of tune you want all the unrestricted flow you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wuta3 and Walternate like this.
  4. Beebee-one

Beebee-one Registered User

The pic below shows a stock sports exhaust down pipe (2018 FL car). You can clearly see the large cat right next to the top flange which joins the turbo and the horrible initial bend in the pipework as exhaust gases exit. With the cat being this close any extra performance (from tuning) adds more thermal load on the turbo.
    The second pic shows the difference between the stock DP and and aftermarket de-cat pipe (this example is an Iroz DP I think).

2018 stock sports exhaust DP.
    IMG_0434.jpeg

2018 stock DP and an Iroz decat pipe
    IMG_3518.JPG

T-1000 likes this.
  5. Count Drunkula

Count Drunkula Registered User

Another option is the BCS downpipe with 100 cell sports Cat , good for over 700bhp and sports cat should at least pass an emissions test if ever needed

BCS Nige likes this.