Facelift Sports exhaust - is it worth it?

allanmb

Reaction score
I'm considering going for a new RS3 once my current S3 PCP deal ends in a few months. I was tempted with the sports exhaust when it was an option for £1k but it is now only available with mag-ride which makes it £1700. I am not interested in mag-ride so is the sports exhaust worth the extra £1700?

What difference is there between the standard and sports exhausts? Is the sports one much louder?

High up on the list of most owners priorities will be brand, performance, reliability, comfort and sound. Most people who buy an RS model will have sound as a very high priority especially on the sweet sounding 2.5t engined cars.

Sports exhaust cars are more sought after also so will be easier to sell and should fetch a premium over a non sports exhaust car.I'm not sure how the newer cars sound with the OPF/GPF and latest emissions though but certainly for the earlier cars the sports exhaust is a must.

If you are getting a 10% discount then £1700 actually costs £1530, another way to look at it.

I think you would either always want the sports exhaust or you would look to after market options for that noise. If you are planning on going aftermarket then save your money and go with the stock then modified path but if you plan on keeping it stock, go for it and look at other options to cut to offset the cost. Mag ride just a convenient addition for an expensive exhaust option.

Or look at cars already built or the 2nd hand market.

Reactions: LSBasi
High up on the list of most owners priorities will be brand, performance, reliability, comfort and sound. Most people who buy an RS model will have sound as a very high priority especially on the sweet sounding 2.5t engined cars.

Sports exhaust cars are more sought after also so will be easier to sell and should fetch a premium over a non sports exhaust car.I'm not sure how the newer cars sound with the OPF/GPF and latest emissions though but certainly for the earlier cars the sports exhaust is a must.

If you are getting a 10% discount then £1700 actually costs £1530, another way to look at it.

I think you would either always want the sports exhaust or you would look to after market options for that noise. If you are planning on going aftermarket then save your money and go with the stock then modified path but if you plan on keeping it stock, go for it and look at other options to cut to offset the cost. Mag ride just a convenient addition for an expensive exhaust option.

Or look at cars already built or the 2nd hand market.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really bothered about resale as it will likely be traded back to Audi at the end of the PCP duration again. On my S3, I disabled the valves which makes it a much better noise so I know that the extra noise is good. I was just wondering how much difference it actually makes in real life on the RS3, especially with the new GPF.

If you get the RS3 sport edition it comes with sports exhaust. That’s what I went for plus sound/comfort pack..

Can’t tell you what the difference is between the sport and none sport exhaust though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170
I just can’t fathom why anyone would buy a car with this amazing engine and not want the sports exhaust to enhance the sound. The Audi sports exhaust on the RS3 has to be one of the best out there on any car.

Reactions: zaka7, sve170, Soup and 4 others
This questions worse than the Super Sport Seats thread. This is a no brainier. Must have. End of. Get it lol

Reactions: sve170, Ja5on, Lehn and 2 others
As above, it may not be worth it in the sense of value (no more performance per se) but most people I would think including me wouldn't buy an RS3 without the sports exhaust. I can tell you as an owner of a V10 Audi that a sports exhaust is worth every single penny and more from a giggle/smile perspective.

Reactions: sve170 and FBF01
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really bothered about resale as it will likely be traded back to Audi at the end of the PCP duration again. On my S3, I disabled the valves which makes it a much better noise so I know that the extra noise is good. I was just wondering how much difference it actually makes in real life on the RS3, especially with the new GPF.

S3 2.0T cannot be compared, it sounds poor and highly strung, doesn't have the meat.

Even if handed back to Audi, they will likely give you a higher trade in value than a car without. Sports exhaust and SS seats are about the only 2 options on the car that are must haves as the majority of people looking to purchase a used RS3 used will discount cars without. For a dealer, they want ease of sale.

As Danny says though, with the new OPF cars I would think that a Sports exhaust was even more of a must than the cars without the OPF. You could always go after market cat back though but would think the cost element to be similar.

Reactions: D0C and Riko0073
Sports exhaust is a must and especially on the OPF model as others have said.

I test drove a new RS3 with standard exhaust and my new car has the sports exhaust as part of the sport edition pack (a no brained for me as I wanted the sunroof to!) and it definitely sounds better.

Add on a valve controller and you have a great sounding system on the new OPF cars.

YES ! . SEOT

You will regret it if you don’t .. aftermarket will boost insurance premium.

Thanks for the replies guys - I will go for it. I just wish I wasn't forced into getting mag ride like I am also forced into getting the advanced key if I want B&O :(

I dont think it is worth it after comparing both.
You still get pops and bangs on standard , and even more after remap.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys - I will go for it. I just wish I wasn't forced into getting mag ride like I am also forced into getting the advanced key if I want B&O :(

Mag ride is great honestly, my car is softer on some roads than an A3 S Line I have access too.. I’m well impressed with it as I was with my S3.

It’s so hard in dynamic though, mine lives in comfort.

Is there really no way you can de-select the advanced key? That’s a nightmare! B&O is a must have again I think, I’d have to go for it and there are now ways of disabling the keys with aftermarket security.

I broke down the comfort pack when I ordered mine in 2017 to make sure I didn’t have it.

Reactions: Soup and allanmb
I'm considering going for a new RS3 once my current S3 PCP deal ends in a few months. I was tempted with the sports exhaust when it was an option for £1k but it is now only available with mag-ride which makes it £1700. I am not interested in mag-ride so is the sports exhaust worth the extra £1700?

What difference is there between the standard and sports exhausts? Is the sports one much louder?

I test drove the new RS3 with the GPF and the sound is dead. Seriously need the Sport exhaust, even if it only makes a small difference, I promise you, the sound needs all the help it can get.

Im going for new downpipes and midpipes (remove the cat and GPF but that’s situation dependant)

Good luck with whatever your choice

100% go with the sports exhaust, when ever I have left it off I have always regretted it and then it’s a pain to retrofit. The new gpfs kill noise so anything you can do to make it better

www.drivethedeal.co.uk is offering 15% (ordered mine from there last month) off which would make the pack under £1500.. Will worth it for the exhaust and mag ride .