1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sports cat recommend?

Tom93 Mar 8, 2016

1. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Does anyone know of a sports cat that works? I see you can get 90quid 3" ones off ebay but ive always been a bit skeptical as to whether it would actually pass an MOT. Sadly i dont have a friendly enough mot tester so i need to do this for my MOT. I plan on hacking up the second half of the 3" downpipe, losing the original 2 bolt flange and using vbands to make a swapable sports cat/decat section, the 2 bolt flange doesnt even line up anyway lol. So anyone bought something recently or knows of some "good ones"? Thanks all.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. craigt1985

craigt1985 Registered User

Sports CATs, unless type approved, should be a fail anyway. I've got a sports cat in my system as it came with my downpipe, it's only a 200 cell but didn't pass the emissions test. Fortunately I have a friendly tester I know.

I'll be changing turbo and downpipe soon, i'm currently looking at running a V banded decat pipe and taking a standard CAT and welding some V band flanges so i can drop this in place for MOTs.

4. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

My tester is friendly enough but it does have to pass the emissions test :( Theres a couple on ebay, i dont see the point in them making/selling them if they dont pass an MOT, surely thats the only job they have to do?! Lol!

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

Sports cats will generally pass if warmed up enough... problem with most tests is that they are done on a coldish engine (you don't normally just rock up after a bit of spirited driving and go straight in) and sports cats need a lot more warming up as they are free flowing and heat build up is slower...

Warm it up properly and they should pass unless really rubbish..

<tuffty/>

6. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Sports cats, as said, should pass no problem if run well and the garage knows what they're doing. But if you're going to swap it every year for the MOT, then just de-cat and enjoy the pops and bangs off throttle!

7. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Yeah thats fine, i meet my tester at the garage at the end of the day and he does emmissions test first thing.

Im already decat but obviously that won't pass an mot so was going to get a sports cat to put in there for mot day...

8. SteveSAS

SteveSAS Guest

My sports cat passed easily, I even mentioned to the testers I considered the decat and was told NO you don't want to do that. Mine is Pipewerx one.

9. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Why would they say no dont decat? I think its 1k fine isnt it? Surely from a performance point of view an empty exhaust is better than one clogged up with *****!

10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

On normally aspirated engines removing the CAT can cause performance to drop off... exhausts play a bigger aspect in NA tuning in this way for example an ABF valver can lose performance if you fit a 4 into 1 manifold over a 4 into 2 into 1 manifold...

On turbo cars its not an issue... this might be what they were referring too... there is also the legal aspect of it of course...

<tuffty/>