Sportback the build thread

I have to disagree with Reddejavu tho.. I like the style of the TD better than the turinis and the turinis are highly overpriced for what they are.. But thats all down to personal preference... I spose.. I dont like the writing on them tho, thats the only thing.. But maybe consider looking at them... Would like to try 1 on the car to see what they look like before commiting to buy...

1 suggestion with your car tho is that I think it needs more lows, maybe it needs that slightly more aggresive stance for you to like it.. But I kno the missus drives it too and the slightly harsher ride might not be an option.. But lower with the bilsteins its meant to be just as comfy

Last edited:
I couldn't find springs any lower for the quattro SB they only list non quattro? whats the diffference between mine and S3 SB suspension

I'm pretty sure S3s are 35mm down from standard... And the additional 25mm onto mine... So mine is sitting on equivalent 60mm springs...

But surely if you were to put the Bilsteins on.. You could fit 25mm H&Rs? That would drop it another 30mm from where it is... I cant imagine theres any difference from A3 and S3 struts.. Fitting wise anyway... But thats guess work from me..

Would probably handle like its on rails!

Reactions: manor13
some minor stuff done today been forgetting to swap out the pollen filter so finally did it just as well some forest in there, left hand is the old filter and the right the new, £9 so cheap enough and its the carbon lined for cars with A/C although mines doesn't work lol.

I try to keep everything OEM but sometimes its not possible like this, normally I would go oem Bluetooth but costs and necessity clashed and necessity won, I had this Parrot 3200ls sitting gathering dust so I got it fitted today, which was a good call as it turns out as my next updates shall hopefully show in the next few weeks.

I still have the S3 valance to get done but the other cars in the bodyshop on the 13th so hopefully get done same time.

its been a bit slow but dropped my valance and diffuser off at the painters and also got some parts for replacing worn items like my window switches and also getting set up for the double din conversion.

Picked up my valance and diffuser opted for colour coded valance with gloss black diffuser, will fit it next weekend as need two sets of hands so i dont scratch it. Today i gave it a mini service new plugs, oil filter and oil , wipers as well, while underneath i noticed damp patch at the diff turns out the seal on the plug has gone
So ordered another so will drain and add new diff oil. Also ordered some dynamat for when i remove the front door cards to do the switches hopefully bring the noise down a bit.

another wee update I bought some replacement window switches as mine had peeled so used the opportunity to do bonus stuff while I was in there. Previously I posted up about the bad road noise so I thought I will get some sound proofing to see if it makes a difference. Not much on here about it but on the van forums there is lots of info, my last VW Caddy I used foam that I got free and worked well but I couldn't do that here. Queue Dynamat never used the stuff before but it gets good reviews so I ordered the extreme kit which has 9 sheets of 18x32" and a hefty price tag as well lol.

So I set about the drivers door today pretty straight forward removal of the door card.

checkout the rubbish speakers, these will be addressed later on but for now the dynamat
popped the speakers out and started in the recess

It looks like the whole door is done but its only one sheet cut up and fitted to sections

the bad switches

and the good fitted, I wanted the updated silver tipped versions but these came up from a donor vehicle so took them

Onto the boot, I cant believe audi sell there cars with the lack of sound proofing, this is behind the subwoofer a couple of bits of padding and one bit of foam up in the void. so dynamat the bits and behind the woofer. the foam in the later pics is dynamat underneath as well

Only managed half the boot and one door card before being rained off, went for a run later and there's definitely a difference can here some of the sub woofer, so will crack on with the rest of the boot and the passenger door any left will see of the rear doors as I would imagine there's nowt in there either.

I agree on the lack of soundproofing in these cars, but while Dynamat is a good material, I found that Silent Coat is just as good and more than half the price. My Mrs has been complaining about the soundtrack from standard exhaust and I used it to line the spare wheel well and boot floor. I shudder to think what will happen when the full BCS powervalve system goes in at the end of this month :eek:

http://www.deadening.co.uk/ have a decent collection of sound deadening materials, including foam, which I plan to line the back of the seats and parcel shelf.

Reactions: Compkiler
how sticky's the silent coat? got the dynamat recommended to me but if I run out then might try the SC stuff.

It's not super glue, but if it touches a painted surface, you have better meant to put it there ;) I'd say that it's as good as Dynamat (used it about 5 years ago, so a little out of date) if not better. The foil on it seems to be thicker too, so would provide some extra insulation. The thickness does make it a bit tough to mould, but a small paint roller (without the roller bit) makes things easy.

One thing I would say is that I don't think you need as much dynomat on the panels. You can get away with covering about 30-50% of the surface (mostly flat areas) and that would be enough to kill the vibration. Anything above that is just dead weight, and as you know this stuff is pretty chunky! This is unless you are doing some sort of ICE competition car.

I've read that the best way to reduce road/exhaust noise in the car is to combine the sound deadening materials like Dynamat/Silent Coat with sound absorption materials like Dodo Liner, which definitely does need to cover as much of the panel as possible to provide a good barrier for the sound waves. Good thing about that material is that its much, much cheaper and a lot lighter than the former. That is why I used Dodo LINER CCF9 to stick to the underside of the boot floor board and that made a significant difference to the noise from that area. I'm planning to line the side panels of the boot and boot lid once I get a chance too. Then maybe do the rest of the interior in the spring.

Another trick is to stick some foam or felt to the underside of the rear parcel shelf, as it does make the back sound like a cardboard box sometimes, but the problem with that approach is that it makes the boot look like a roof loft area :)

Reactions: mister.c., minibob79 and manor13
I had a look at that site and the liner stuff got me thinking so I might follow you with lining the underneath off the floor board. Not going for ice comp car just want to cut the road noise as oddly I have a hearing problem that the road noise drives me crazy lol, tyres is another option I am looking at as well but they're on 5mm all round roughly so after the winter they will be due a change.

been at it again today finished off the boot and passenger door, the door had another peeled switch so swapped over as well. The off side of the boot has even less noise insulation than the other side lol. I was going to get a Silent coat mat for underneath the floor thing in the boot but might not have to as the only noise I hear now is through the tyres. I did a dB test before so once I get time I shall do another to confirm my noise reduction has worked.

I have updated my list now of things to do over winter :-
  • Replace Speakers - Hertz DSK165.3 (anyone used these?)
  • Fit S3 valance and diffuser
  • Update rear lights to 09 LED
  • New Tyres
  • Upgrade steering module and fit MFSW
  • Double DIN conversion to allow RNS upgrade
I also want to do some performance mods but they are the dear things - Remap, BCS exhaust Bilstein B8 dampers and fancy a Revo CAI to replace my CTS for a change.

Reactions: S3_Jacko
so I bought the Hertz DSK165.3 speakers today hopefully arrive for next weekend. I have swapped out speakers before but they came with adaptors this time it means cutting wires does anyone have a wiring schematic of the 8P as I can only find a 8L are they the same or shed any light as to which wire goes to what terminal? while I ask can the wiring that goes to the rubbish sub be used for a replacement?

All arrived today so hopefully get a chance to fit them tomorrow came with crossovers and tweeters no idea how they wire in so will run with the speakers first then once i figure out the crossovers i will rig them up. Maybe have time for the diffuser as well.

At long last got my S3 valance and diffuser fitted, went with body colour for the valance and gloss black for the diffuser the rear looks so much better now.

Nice, interested to know how the speakers will sound. Been meaning to change mine as well but can't make my mind up. Are you amping them?

thats turning into a disaster fitted them up but low sound, not sure what I have done wrong but need to get someone with ice know how to check them

cant really show a pic of a map being done so -

now officially Stage 1, I have been complaining to anyone that would listen about how the car ran, its had a hard life so needs some TLC but low down in the revs it was pretty pants with everything coming in high up. Today's visit to mark at brotek was a worthwhile venture as its running great and the power is right through the range now. I need to still get the wee pipe fixed as the splits worse and is sucking in air through it but the oem replacement is larger and more elaborate and 32quid for a 4" bit of rubber tubing so trying to get a pipe made at pirtek hoses.

Coming along nicely Keith... Doing some interesting work there..

some maintenance today - did some battery checks as its been a cause of concern when starting up in the mornings. From cold today it only had 11.76v turned it over and it dropped to 7.86 then jumps to 14.41v fired a few things on and it stays in the 14's so thinking the altenator is good and battery is on its way out so searched the forum and apparently Varta Silver & Bosch S range are the favourite batteries on here, I couldn't get a varta today but could get a Bosch S4 and its a needs must so a trip to ECP and one battery, smaller than my old banner one and less CCA as well but hopefully it will fair well. I am hoping this sorts my intermit key fob issue as well.

I am thinking as well the reason for the battery issue maybe the connects2 Ipod connection taking a while to turn off the ipod once the engines off, anyone had the same issue?

been purchasing some more bits, firstly a Neuspeed throttle pipe, wanted the CTS version but this cam up cheap and unused.

and currently sitting at Frankfurt airport is a new set of Bilstein B8 dampers.
looking to get the following soon(ish).
  • RS3 top mounts
  • CTS turbo pipe
  • Forge I/C pipes
  • S3 intercooler(sold the last one- doh!)

Car will be looking good after its dropped on its Billies. Ive asked CTS about the K03 turbo pipe and if you want a good priced I/C drop me a PM Keith

Reactions: manor13
some more bits arrived today for fitting this week. Forge throttle pipe and powerflex dog bone mount.

and more today RS3 top mounts and bearings all round, big night tomorrow all of the above and below gets fitted hopefully

Reactions: A4dtmwanted
Suspension night. Got my Bilstein B8 kit fitted last night. old dampers off and Eibach springs swapped onto the B8's along with RS3 top mounts and bearings, fantastic definitely recommend this set-up not harsh or uncomfy . Result! Bump stops not transferable. no difference to height when mated to the eibachs and excuse the rear discs rusty city lol.

A wee change today, came across this on ebay and got it for a very very reasonable price. Previously I had one fitted to my Edition30 and liked it so I set about replacing the CTS intake today with this Dbilas air intake, it has a K&N panel filter in the front part, well made and fitting was easy enough.

I also picked up some proper gloss black pillar trims and LED face lift lights from a front end damaged car.

I had an oil leak as well from the back of the rocker cover so I got that replaced and will keep an eye on it to make sure all is ok.

Love the write up dude any more pics of the rear with your s3 diffuser are you going to get some s3 side skirts ? I've started to buy the skirts but just not got round to getting it all yer

What's the deal with the rs3 top mounts and bearings what difference do they make ?? I like the sou d of rs3 mods on the car

your right, the conundrum was RS3 just callipers £300 have to buy new pads and discs as recall ones are squeeky, Porsche £400 for a used kit R32 £350 for calllipers
the rs3 ones would be dear for discs pads and lines, porsche work with oem 312mm discs so just pads and lines and r32 flipping heavy but cheap pads and discs. S3 Callipers not many doing the rounds which is odd given the BBK conversions going on. probably end up with R32 ones lol.

Would any1 recommend buyin new forge 6pot calipers for £1400 from awesomegti or rs3 calipers are better????

Love the write up dude any more pics of the rear with your s3 diffuser are you going to get some s3 side skirts ? I've started to buy the skirts but just not got round to getting it all yer

What's the deal with the rs3 top mounts and bearings what difference do they make ?? I like the sou d of rs3 mods on the car

the price is putting me off so waiting on a decent scraper coming up, did find one but it had fire damage to one side and they wanted near new money lol.
the RS3 top mounts are apparently more durable than the S3 version never checked it out just went with it.