Sportback LED Rear Lights (Fitted by itwasntme187)

chrisb72

Reaction score
Well at long last I have finally got round to fittng new rear LED lights to 2006 Sportback....with a little help from forum member itwasntme187 (Ash)

I have been thinking about doing this mod for a little while now, but was waiting for the right deal. Then just the other week I saw a thread posted by Ash himself for a German supplier selling sets of the lights on eBay for a very good price. Not wanting to attempt the mod myself I got advice and agreed a deal to fit with Ash and went ahead and ordered the lights.

The lights arrived very quickly despite the seller saying they would take 7 days. I then had a slight panic as the packaging said LHD and not an Audi badge in sight, but after a very early morning reply to my slightly panic stricken email Ash reassured me that they were perfectly ok and that he had just fitted the same lights to his car.

As arranged Ash came round to mine to fit the lights for me for a small fee and after a few hours and after a few small connection errors (probably down to me talking through the whole install) my lights were fitted and the car looks alot more modern from the rear.

Ash really knows his stuff when it comes to car electrics and his own looms are working a treat and saved me a few quid on adapters. He even worked in sub zero temperatures and never complained once about how cold it was! He also spent time with me going through a few options on the cars programming and I now have a very cool 'One Touch Option' on the key which closes all my windows and sunroof!

Anyone that wants this doing to their car I would recommend the eBay seller and I would definitely recommend getting Ash to do the install.

Thanks mate for all your help and I'll be in touch when I next need help with any tricky mods.

A few photos after.......

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

Reactions: james.allan.923, discostu49, Paullie and 4 others
That looks awesome m8 a can ya inbox me to give me some idea of the cost of this upgrade ????

wow car looking great! rear led are a must do on evry sportback and Ash he a great guy always help me out when i need him top man!

Reactions: dannyjna
Great upgrade, thinking of doing it to my 06 also. How much did it all cost in the end?

wow car looking great! rear led are a must do on evry sportback and Ash he a great guy always help me out when i need him top man!

Thanks. I'm really pleased with the new lights. I feel they have given the car a fresher more updated look it desperately needed!

I may stop looking at newer A3's for a little while now......well at least a couple of days at least.

All in all it didn't cost me that much in the end, but the result it impressive!

I didnt realise until looking at these that I already have LED rear lights, odd I know,they look good dont they...

I wish someone could do something for the 3 door, would look sooo much better....:bye:

Reactions: stuartm and jazzysingh
Looking good and it is a really good mod. I did mine back in 2010 and no issues at all. Just freshens up the rear of the car a treat and brings the early model into line with the current ones to an extent....

Car looks nice and shiny too! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Chris for the kind words :thumbsup: :)

Your car looks so much better than mine... but probably as you keep it so damn clean and store it away from the snow.
It looks really nice there in those pics you took!

It was a pleasure meeting you mate and working on your car even though it was something like -2 degrees. I didn't feel the cold as bad until i got back into my warm car and then it really hit me.

let me know when your up for some more mods mate... you know 'so you don't go and buy another car' :p
you still need the MFSW, Cruise, Auto lights... :p

Reactions: nezz
Looking good and it is a really good mod. I did mine back in 2010 and no issues at all. Just freshens up the rear of the car a treat and brings the early model into line with the current ones to an extent....

At the rear with an S-Line bumper it's almost indistinguishable from a 2012 Sportback, unless you (as in one, not you personally!) are an anarak and spot the split in 2-piece bumper! Funny that you could do simple mods like this to a 54-plate Sportback and even almost 10 years later it still looks current. The same can't be said of the 3dr!

Funny that you could do simple mods like this to a 54-plate Sportback and even almost 10 years later it still looks current. The same can't be said of the 3dr!

Mines a 3 door and with MY11 rear lights fitted, looks as current as yours mate.

Your Facelift Sportback rear lights do look good though. :)

Reactions: Paullie and Paul76R
Mines a 3 door and with MY11 rear lights fitted, looks as current as yours mate.

Your Facelift Sportback rear lights do look good though. :)

Yes with MY11 lights the 3dr can look like a 2011 3dr but that doesn't mean AUDI aren't soldiering on with the A3 well past is sell by date. The 8P has been sold alongside the MK4 then MK5 and now MK6 Golf(!). No offense, but in my eyes the 3dr has not aged as well as the Sportback. Probably telling that the RS3 is only available in Sportback guise as it looks like most contemporary AUDI avants, but the 3dr just looks a bit dated now at the rear BUT don't get me wrong it still looks great.

Yes with MY11 lights the 3dr can look like a 2011 3dr but that doesn't mean AUDI aren't soldiering on with the A3 well past is sell by date. The 8P has been sold alongside the MK4 then MK5 and now MK6 Golf(!) No offense, but in eyes the 3dr has not aged as well as the Sportback. Probably telling that the RS3 is only available in Sportback guise as it looks like most contemporary AUDI avants, but the 3dr just looks a bit dated now at the rear BUT don't get me wrong it still looks great.

Audi have been milking the tits off a winning formula with the 8P. There are still more orders than they can build in a reasonable timeframe. Whilst it's starting to show it's age in quite a few areas it can still turn heads in the right colour / spec / iteration.

My only fear is the 8P design was so good they might just ruin it when it's facelifted. Have never warmed to the A4 facelift, it just about carries it off with Dynamik kit.

How many cars see nearly 9 year in service these days with low level facelifts. Still love the fact it's far sleeker and less upright than much of the competition when parked side on.

That said, it's starting to look a bit blocky and dated, so lets hope they get it right!

Car looks fab with its bang up to date rear LED's on! Lovely mod! Well done to Ash for sorting the fitting out for you. :wub: xx

Those lights and pics make me want a 5 door look amazing, glad your happy with the result.

just a little off topic......have you had your rear tow eye cover sprayed or is that a tow eye cover off a 2009 sport a3? reason i ask is i am looking for one to match the rest of the grey diffuser and i was gonna order a 2009 one because they look similar.

thanks

Audi have been milking the tits off a winning formula with the 8P. There are still more orders than they can build in a reasonable timeframe. Whilst it's starting to show it's age in quite a few areas it can still turn heads in the right colour / spec / iteration.

My only fear is the 8P design was so good they might just ruin it when it's facelifted. Have never warmed to the A4 facelift, it just about carries it off with Dynamik kit.

How many cars see nearly 9 year in service these days with low level facelifts. Still love the fact it's far sleeker and less upright than much of the competition when parked side on.

That said, it's starting to look a bit blocky and dated, so lets hope they get it right!

Entirely agree, for it's age it's doing very well indeed, as said VW were selling the MK4 at the time the 8P came out, can you imagine a MK4 Golf on a 11 plate! The only other car I can think of with nearly the same lifespan is the E36 3-series.

just a little off topic......have you had your rear tow eye cover sprayed or is that a tow eye cover off a 2009 sport a3? reason i ask is i am looking for one to match the rest of the grey diffuser and i was gonna order a 2009 one because they look similar.

thanks

Mine is the same, the cover is more shiny than the defuser...

Thanks Chris for the kind words :thumbsup: :)

Your car looks so much better than mine... but probably as you keep it so damn clean and store it away from the snow.
It looks really nice there in those pics you took!

It was a pleasure meeting you mate and working on your car even though it was something like -2 degrees. I didn't feel the cold as bad until i got back into my warm car and then it really hit me.

let me know when your up for some more mods mate... you know 'so you don't go and buy another car' :p
you still need the MFSW, Cruise, Auto lights... :p

I'm sure it won't be long before I want to tick another item on my wish list!!

As for being clean......I took it for a spin to charge the battery after my embarrassing flat battery incident and the car now has a nice layer of dirty winter weather crap on it!! Oh well will give me an excuse to clean it at the weekend.

yh the salt on the roads is disgusting... my car has so much crap on it that last night i noticed that its had a colour change from black to grey! but it also has a lovely matte look on it

keep an eye on that battery as well... you may just need to change it.

that looks really good - i've been toying with this for a while and still haven't bitten the bullet..... yet!

where are you based itwasntme187???

around the bromley area/kent - think we should stick with PM or it may ruin the thread

sorry guys! but thanks to this thread, it has inspired me again to do something!

Just a quick question. I'm looking at purchasing the same lights from ebay germany as recommended by ash, saving over £100 compared to audi and tps prices. As mentioned by chris, these aint audi originals and stated LHD. Does LHD or RHD make any difference to rear lights?? I can understand headlights being specific to LHD or RHD. The main reason I ask is that I'll be ordering the wiring loom from kufatec but it states the loom is only for LHD. Will this make any difference? Can the wiring loom still be fitted / used??

Appreciate any help,

Cheerss

Just a quick question. I'm looking at purchasing the same lights from ebay germany as recommended by ash, saving over £100 compared to audi and tps prices. As mentioned by chris, these aint audi originals and stated LHD. Does LHD or RHD make any difference to rear lights?? I can understand headlights being specific to LHD or RHD. The main reason I ask is that I'll be ordering the wiring loom from kufatec but it states the loom is only for LHD. Will this make any difference? Can the wiring loom still be fitted / used??

Appreciate any help,

Cheerss

No the lights ARE ORIGINAL AUDI lights, the box just doesnt have Audi sign on them as the seller has re-boxed them with his company logo and branding. the lights inside are OEM.
The LHD makes no difference on sportbacks as we have both fogs and reverse bulbs on both sides of the car.
I can't comment for the Kufatec looms though as i made up my own loom and did the same for Chris' car.

if there is an issue with the loom you can repin the wires to make it work, not hard at all but you will need the know-how

Hi All,

Last week I got my rear led lights and Ash came over to install them. I have to say it has definitely transformed my car- looks so much better with the led lights.

I would again recommend Ash to install them if you do go down the led rear light route. He did an excellent job, he knows his stuff!

Thanks Ash and thanks to Chris ( who recommended him via this thread).

I will post some pictures soon.

Ash came to fit my RNS-E / Bluetooth / Cruise control recently and my brother roped him in to fitting his rear light clusters (despite Ash having worked a long day), he was kind enough to do the install for him too - he's a great lad and comes highly recommended by many :icon_thumright:

Hi Guys,

I need some help please. I received my lights today (from ebay Germany) but I've noticed that on one of the outer units a small black platic clip is broken. These aint for me so I wana make sure that the broken part isn't gonna cause a problem. Its at the bottom of he unit, some sort of retaining clip, not sure if its used to hold the light in place or to hold some thing else like and adaptor or wiring.

I'd really appreciate it If anyone can let me when what exaclty the clip is used for and whether the it makes any difference to the unit for fitting or after fitting. Basically need to know if its a major problem and if I should send it back.

Original Clip

Broken Clip

Any help appreciated,

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly cant say that i have noticed that clip?
the 2 small nipples on the edge of the lights that can be seen in those pics hold the light in place and then the 13mm plastic bolt that is used to secure them keeps it tight. apart from that i think that small clip you are talking about just holds the wiring harness.

Thanks Ash, I thought it might be to hold wiring or something, just wanted to be 100% before giving them to my brother.

Its merely a loom retainer to keep it out of the way when fitting to the car.