Sportback front seat headrest removal...

MrKotic

Reaction score
Read the manual, know how to get the head rests off the rear seats, no mention of the fronts.

I've got the cloth sports seats with the plastic back, cannot find any release buttons under the upholstery as suggested here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2016-a3-saloon-front-headrest-removal.278200/ and the dropbox link for a workshop manual excerpt has gone stale.

Any ideas? Or do I need to get the grinder out?

Yep, definitely a grinder job.

Two things to bear in mind:

Put wet towels over the upholstery so that the sparks don't set the car on fire, and when you're done, stick a cork on each of the sharp stubs or someone'll have their eye out.

Reactions: josul
Read the manual, know how to get the head rests off the rear seats, no mention of the fronts.

I've got the cloth sports seats with the plastic back, cannot find any release buttons under the upholstery as suggested here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2016-a3-saloon-front-headrest-removal.278200/ and the dropbox link for a workshop manual excerpt has gone stale.

No, unzip and lift up the seat covers to revel the release clips.

I’m curious why you need to take them out?
I can understand take the rear ones out but trying to get why you need the front out.

I wish they were removable also... It's a pain when you want to throw surfboards in the car, having to recline the seats as they dont fit between the headlining and head restraint. Mind you, to remove them you would have to recline the seats I suspect, so meh!

there is a release catch hidden..

Attachments

• FJIMG_20181211_195353.jpg
    FJIMG_20181211_195353.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,212
I wish they were removable also... It's a pain when you want to throw surfboards in the car, having to recline the seats as they dont fit between the headlining and head restraint. Mind you, to remove them you would have to recline the seats I suspect, so meh!
Yeah, don’t have that problem. Biggest thing that probably goes in my car is a crate of beer or wine.
If I need more space I just use the mrs’s car.

The catches are really hard to find, since there is no external marking or tactile clue to where they are located. I had to release them four times when I made repairs on my seats and it does not become easier with practice. I had more success when I used my elbow (or even the knee) to force the possible catch location, while forcing the head rest up at same time, because I could have more pressure on a wider area. Good luck!

I have successfully managed to release the headrest, thanks to all your help, baffles me why they'd make it so hard.

I can now get some 2.4 metre lengths of timber in the car, which I need for various man cave projects; it'll be a lot easier and more secure with the front seat back and the headrest off.

Thanks again for your help, I've put the angle grinder and wet towels away.

Reactions: Rcord
I managed to get 2.4m lengths of timber into the footwell and through the gap between the front seats in my sportback. Just recline the passenger seat right back and use something to protect the interior.