Sport vs S-Line - Options vs Price?!

DaveyClark

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have been looking at the A3, it will potentially be a company car, so will be either the 1.4 150 Petrol version or the 2.0 TDI 150 Diesel.

Anyhow... In terms of options, I am fussy, depending on your point of view!

Must haves;

Xenons
Auto-wipers/lights/anti-glare rear view mirror
DAB, iPod connectivity
Parking sensors on rear at very least (I can't park!)
Heated Seats
Cruise Control
Electric folding mirrors
Flat bottom steering wheel
Unlike most, I enjoy having a dark roof lining / dark interior, I would also opt for non-metallic paint, just a boring Black :)

It would be nice to have park assist, rear camera, keyless entry,but not overly fussed if not.

So, seems to me the Sport is the better choice, but the flat bottomed steering wheel is only on S-Line is that right?

The Xenons, FB Wheel and dark interior (which I also prefer) comes as standard on the s-line, obviously you can add the Xenons and black headlining but my opinion only is that the S-line is a much nicer package than the sport.

I looked at saving a few pennies when changing over from the previous A3 and considered the sport with more options and in the end stuck with the S-line with the options that I wanted.

Whatever you decided will be right for you and you will love it anyway.

Correct, In the UK you can only get the flat bottomed wheel on S-Line. Sounds like you want an S-Line plus comfort pack and a few other options.

The overall aesthetics of the S-Line truely make the Saloon. For me its the essential choice

Reactions: Don76
Looks like the S-Line is the way forward then folks... Although hatchback for me, not saloon :D

If you care about how the car looks, you'll get S Line. That's what it came down to for me.

If you care about how the car looks, you'll get S Line. That's what it came down to for me.

Interesting debate! I very much care how my cars look - but inside as well as out. Which is why I went for Sport so that I could have a light grey interior rather than "coal-hole black" which is mandatory with S-Line. I did the same when I bought our TT as well. But of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all see things differently. But I do find it slightly odd that you have to go to the lesser spec car to get a wider choice of interior colours!

Reactions: MA3RC
Interesting debate! I very much care how my cars look - but inside as well as out. Which is why I went for Sport so that I could have a light grey interior rather than "coal-hole black" which is mandatory with S-Line. I did the same when I bought our TT as well. But of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all see things differently. But I do find it slightly odd that you have to go to the lesser spec car to get a wider choice of interior colours!

That's a good point.

You get used to it and it becomes unoticable very quickly...

But why should you have to "get used to it". You've spent £30k of taxed income and you should be able to get what you want, when it's available in another spec.

Presumably Audi consider the dark interior an 'upgrade'

Have to say I don't even notice it

I tend to agree with glospete ,your spending 28k+ and you should be able to have the option of your interior especially when that option in available on lower models.
For me I love the darker interior, so the issue of no option of the interior on the s line is not an issue but for others it could be.

I agree that it would be good to have the choice of interior headlining since Audi let you choose so many other things ef inlays, seat covering etc.

However I personally prefer the dark headlining so wasn't an issue.

For other toys 'that come with S-Line spec' it's well worth it as individually they really come to a similar price and the body styling options on top are a bonus.

John.

Glospete, I see you changed your spec to S-Line in the end :)

Worth bearing in mind that the Xenons you get as standard on S-line aren't the same as the ones you can spec on Sport. You have to pay extra to give them the same functionality (adaptive).

If flat-bottomed steering wheel is essential to you, then you have to go S-line.

Comfort pack will provide the auto lights, auto wipers, dimming rear view mirror, rear sensors and cruise control (I really recommend the upgrade to Adaptive Cruise Control though). DAB and iPod connectivity is standard so no worries there. I also recommend the rear view camera, very much worth the money I think.

Glospete, I see you changed your spec to S-Line in the end :)
Well spotted sir! I was torn - as I've said before I like the lighter colour interior but I also prefer the S-Line flat bottomed steering wheel, the standard 18" wheels and the S-Line bodykit. Also once I'd specced LED headlights the Sport was much more expensive than a similar specced S-Line. So after another trip to the dealer yesterday we settled on an S-Line with the black Nappa leather. Funnily enough I cleaned my TT this morning and noticed that the grey leather is getting dirty so for an everyday car I think that the black is going to be more practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: seniorjj
I also recommend the rear view camera, very much worth the money I think.

I deliberated long and hard about the camera but with visual as well as audio for the front and rear sensors I thought that this would be enough. I have a rear view camera on my current 4X4 but quite frankly only use it when hitching up the caravan. I still look over my shoulder when reversing!

I use mine all the time. It is especially useful when backing up to trailers though! The parallel park mode is very good too.

Well spotted sir! I was torn - as I've said before I like the lighter colour interior but I also prefer the S-Line flat bottomed steering wheel, the standard 18" wheels and the S-Line bodykit. Also once I'd specced LED headlights the Sport was much more expensive than a similar specced S-Line. So after another trip to the dealer yesterday we settled on an S-Line with the black Nappa leather. Funnily enough I cleaned my TT this morning and noticed that the grey leather is getting dirty so for an everyday car I think that the black is going too be more practical.

Same colour, engine and lights as mine - good choice sir!

When did you order your s line? I ordered mine last Monday, and have been told by the dealer to expect it at the end of September.

When did you order your s line? I ordered mine last Monday, and have been told by the dealer to expect it at the end of September.

Only confirmed the final spec yesterday so no idea at the moment. The dealer did say that they will put "my" car into their stock car ordering (to replace one they have on order) so that it will speed things up. But sometime in September seems likely.