Sport suspension Facelift Vs Prefacelift and color question

TomislAv3

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in process of buying new A3 so I have 2 questions if you can help.
I already opened one thread about the colors (Cosmos blue vs. Ibis white) as I was thinking of buying the car that is available now. Now I decided to order it and wait 2,3 months.

So the questions are:
1. Is there any difference in sport suspension between facelift and prefacelift?
Now I have A3 sport with sport suspension and it's pretty harsh. I got use to it but it's still harsh at the times.
On 17" alloy wheels and dynamic suspension car looks strange, it's to high and on sport it's very stiff.
I'm hoping that they changed something with sport suspension on the FL, that is a bit softer now. Or not?
I'm asking because I read this "This latest A3 bucks the Audi trend of using hard suspension to improve the handling – which ultimately compromised ride comfort in the previous generation model. The suspension on the current A3 is a vast improvement over the old car's, with only a dab of firmness present." in Auto Express.
Is there anyone who tried FL and PreFL suspension?

2. I'm in dilemma with two colors, Monsoon grey and Florett silver. What do you think which one is better looking? The car is A3 sport.
I would go with Daytona grey but on Sport it's not an option.
On the current car I have Florett silver an it's really great color. I'm thinking of another color only because of the change.

It would be great if you could give me your opinion, decision will be much easier. :D

Monsoon Grey Black Ed. would get my vote.

My previous A5 was Monsoon, loved the colour against the black Ed styling.

JG

Reactions: TomislAv3
Black Ed is very nice but it's 600 GBP more. I don't know is it worth it that much. [/URL]

Is Black Edition available on the Sport? I thought it was only available on the S Line. I have the S Line suspension which is firmer than the Sport suspension and is no longer available sadly. I always found Sport suspension to be a great setup and very compliant, certainly compared to the 8P Sport suspension.

the sport does not have "sport" suspension on the FL, it has dynamic suspension - personally I like a softer ride and find it great

Hi!

I'm in process of buying new A3 so I have 2 questions if you can help.
I already opened one thread about the colors (Cosmos blue vs. Ibis white) as I was thinking of buying the car that is available now. Now I decided to order it and wait 2,3 months.

So the questions are:
1. Is there any difference in sport suspension between facelift and prefacelift?
Now I have A3 sport with sport suspension and it's pretty harsh. I got use to it but it's still harsh at the times.
On 17" alloy wheels and dynamic suspension car looks strange, it's to high and on sport it's very stiff.
I'm hoping that they changed something with sport suspension on the FL, that is a bit softer now. Or not?
I'm asking because I read this "This latest A3 bucks the Audi trend of using hard suspension to improve the handling – which ultimately compromised ride comfort in the previous generation model. The suspension on the current A3 is a vast improvement over the old car's, with only a dab of firmness present." in Auto Express.
Is there anyone who tried FL and PreFL suspension?

2. I'm in dilemma with two colors, Monsoon grey and Florett silver. What do you think which one is better looking? The car is A3 sport.
I would go with Daytona grey but on Sport it's not an option.
On the current car I have Florett silver an it's really great color. I'm thinking of another color only because of the change.

It would be great if you could give me your opinion, decision will be much easier. :D

****** the suspension...as it is what it is....colour is more important.....and Floret Silver gets my vote all the time on here,Monsoon Grey is as rare as Hens Teeth on this forum.....:search:

I had a pre-facelift with sports suspension on 17" wheels. I found it a good compromise and fairly compliant. I had a loan PFL with standard suspension for a while and couldn't tell much difference to be honest.
The FL S3 is much firmer - I have to take it much easier over speed bumps.
If you find sport hard than I'd go dynamic, hardly anyone will notice the ride height.
Another vote for Floret. Cosmos looks as good as Beluga. Has anyone placed a factory order and actually specc'd Cosmos?

I had a pre-facelift with sports suspension on 17" wheels. I found it a good compromise and fairly compliant. I had a loan PFL with standard suspension for a while and couldn't tell much difference to be honest.
The FL S3 is much firmer - I have to take it much easier over speed bumps.
If you find sport hard than I'd go dynamic, hardly anyone will notice the ride height.
Another vote for Floret. Cosmos looks as good as Beluga. Has anyone placed a factory order and actually specc'd Cosmos?

l think 2 members last year specced Cosmos Blue UNSEEN......prior to the face lift car being released......they dont frequent the forum no more.........As they where convinced it was identical to Scuba Blue.....lol

Well, I'm one member who owns a Monsoon Grey A3 Sport saloon, and i think it's a fantastic colour, and I certainly prefer it to Floret Silver.
Obviously you prefer it all l said was it's very rare

Here you are, a comparison for you

Attachments

• F364AEEE-BC3D-4FD7-8DB2-49F0051A7E82.jpeg
    F364AEEE-BC3D-4FD7-8DB2-49F0051A7E82.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 31656276-5304-4AEB-B6D4-8B036B9F154A.jpeg
    31656276-5304-4AEB-B6D4-8B036B9F154A.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 120
  • D284B627-F176-41BF-BD79-A6F05E38C928.jpeg
    D284B627-F176-41BF-BD79-A6F05E38C928.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 107
  • 286A95A4-1BB1-417E-8189-100D00E39336.jpeg
    286A95A4-1BB1-417E-8189-100D00E39336.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 106
Floret silver FTW

Lovely colour & really suits all shapes of the 8V A3/S3's IMHO

Hi guys, thank you for the comments.

@amb66
Black optics package is avalible when you are ordering A3 Sport, at least here in Croatia. It is aditionally 600 GBP.

@mistac
What do you mean there is no more "sport suspension" when you go with Sport package? Is it true that the "FL suspension" is softer then the preFL?

@Reltub
Thank you for the pics.
I've seen those pictures but I believe it's different when you see it in live. I've seen a lot different pictures of monsoon and on every picture color looks different.

@jassyo06
Yeah, I have seen one or two monsoons on this forum but when you go on autoscout (used cars) there is more monsoon grey cars then florett. But yeah, florett is a great color. I was just thinking to go with another color after I had florett for two years. If it's florett that much better I will take it again, it's not problem for me. I can't see A3 in other colors. Except daytona but it's not option in Sport.

@Matt Titanium
I think that diference in height is pretty obvious. On sport suspension car looks much better but it's harsh to drive IMHO. I guess you can't have both.
I see that lot of people on these forum deselected sport suspension, they find it to stiff.

Sorry for my grammar, I'm writing from my mobile phone and I didn't check the grammar.

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Matt Titanium
I think that diference in height is pretty obvious. On sport suspension car looks much better but it's harsh to drive IMHO. I guess you can't have both.
I see that lot of people on these forum deselected sport suspension, they find it to stiff.

Yes but do you want a car with suspension that suits YOU or a ride height that 99% of people won't notice and the other 1% won't care.

The same 99% don't know there is a difference between Monsoon and Daytona and would probably say "it's a grey Audi" and think they are the same, even if they saw them parked side by side. Both greys suit the A3 lines and look better than Floret to my eyes. Your car - why should you care what I think.

Yeah man, but I asked is there anyone who could tell me is there diference in sport suspension betwen FL and preFL. I don't care about 99% who can't tell diference in hight. I see it from the plane ;).

Regarding the color, the problem is I don't have where to see A3 sportback in monsoon so I asked here. I only can say that I see diference betwen daytona and monsoon even on the screen. Daytona is much darker color and it has pearl effect.

If I could see two A3's side by side in this two colors I wouldn't ask here.
I care what you think because I'm 50/50 with two colors and suspension ;).

Best regards man and thank you for the answer.

Last edited:
Side by side Monsoon and Florett. Is this realistic picture of monsoon or not I dont know.

Have a look on the Audi Approved Used Car site, loads of pictures of Floret, Monsoon and Daytona A3s on there to compare. Find a dealer nearest to you with the colours in stock, go have a look to see them in the flesh and drive some cars to compare suspensions.

Last edited:
I agree that dynamic suspension on the FL Sport models looks higher riding than the equivalent pre-FL. I find the difference noticeable every time I see one.

I've got a pre-FL Sport with deselected sports suspensions (ie. same as the SE) and the ride height looks lower on my car.

Surprised to hear that Monsoon is rare! i thought it was the most common Audi colour? Iv got a 3 door PFL in Monsoon, Sport trim. My suspension wasn't deleted to have SE suspension. I love it. I haven't seen the normal suspension on the FL but if it is anything like the standard SE suspension on the PFL then i disagree with the comments that people won't notice how high it is. There is quite a big gap in the wheel arches especially if you are running 17's. Mine is running 17's and the wheels could do with being 18's to make the proportions correct. The ride isnt especially hard. I havent been in another A3/S3 so im not sure how soft the suspension can get but it feels ok. Yes it doesn't have a lot of give, some pot holes, speed bumps are hard, but they are holes after all! I would prefer to have a couple of hard bumps per day than to come home after work and not liking the appearance of the car i have just spent my cash on.

Colour wise, Monsoon is the way to go. if i buy another Audi i will spec it or a very similar colour. Iv had lots of cars with lots of different colour combinations but this colour is just amazing, especially for a person who doesn't like to clean their car every weekend. Floret just seems like a normal silver, dont see the big attraction personally, but then people will say that about grey! The photos you posted are different due to the lighting of where they were taken, this will happen with any photo you find online. Google it and im sure you will find a great deal of photos to help you make up your mind. Try searching for "Audi Monsoon Grey" instead of model specific so you can see it on different models.

Last edited:
@leosayer1
I don't know is SE FL higher than the preFL. Someone should see part numbers of suspension from both.

@AllanG
Your car looks great. I think I can't go wrong with if I chose silver or grey. They both look great ;)

@Ormesome
Thank you for your comment, it' really helpfull. I think it's win win situation. Just have to chose one :)

Reactions: Ormesome