Sport Edition suspension

igmr

Reaction score
Decided to swap out my 2016 RS3 for a 2019 Nardo Grey Sport Edition that the dealer had coming in. This was an impulse buy so I'm not too sure what to expect. My main concern is that I currently have mag dampers, the audi configurator suggested the new one does not. Has anyone compared the two? I'm hoping for a ride perhaps only a little firmer than Auto gives.

I hate what the mag suspension does for handling btw, understeer in comfort is just horrid but you have to keep the partner happy at times. I'm hoping that she'll just get used to this one

Reactions: NevMan
Imho non mag ride cars ride very well indeed.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170 and NevMan
Non mag ride cars do ride well and probably sits right where you’ve mentioned, little firmer than auto.

My biggest concern would the the exhaust note, but the interior is more refined with the slightly updated MMI and the virtual cockpit. New lights are also fresh and sharper grills on the front.

Thanks guys. I have told my wife that the suspension will be perfect and that the extra exhaust noise will be compensated for by no longer running MP4S tyres.

The exhaust is a little worrying, find for a short fun run but for sitting n traffic or prolonged high speed journeys I prefer a quiet car.

Reactions: NevMan
Thanks guys. I have told my wife that the suspension will be perfect and that the extra exhaust noise will be compensated for by no longer running MP4S tyres.

The exhaust is a little worrying, find for a short fun run but for sitting n traffic or prolonged high speed journeys I prefer a quiet car.

Why do you not like running the MP4S’? I trust you’ve seen the Pirelli tyre issue on the FL?

The FL can be loud when it wants to be for sure and sounds great, but it’s quite different to the PFL. If you ever want more noise, you can go for the PCW mod.

You won’t have an issue then, most complain exhaust isn’t loud enough. For you, in traffic as you say, put in comfort and will be pretty quiet.

Decided to swap out my 2016 RS3 for a 2019 Nardo Grey Sport Edition that the dealer had coming in. This was an impulse buy so I'm not too sure what to expect. My main concern is that I currently have mag dampers, the audi configurator suggested the new one does not. Has anyone compared the two? I'm hoping for a ride perhaps only a little firmer than Auto gives.

I hate what the mag suspension does for handling btw, understeer in comfort is just horrid but you have to keep the partner happy at times. I'm hoping that she'll just get used to this one

My daughter has the new Sportback Sport Edition, only two weeks old so here are a few comments.

Her car feels much better without the Mag Ride, the new Sports suspension imo is excellent.
In auto it’s a much better ride than my 2018 FL RS3, which is still quite hard in auto mode especially as a daily driver.

One issue we have noticed is the exhaust is not popping or back firing anything like my FL car. Mine pops, farts all day long once warmed up, and on gearbox downshift it’s is terrific with several pops & bangs.

She is hoping this will get better as the miles go on the car, only 300 just now.

I did see on a YouTube video that the driver mentioned the 2019 model now has an OP or IPA filter installed within the exhaust system, and that the exhaust sounds were much quieter than the 2018 models.

Hopefully some other posters will technically explain this filter that has been added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter has the new Sportback Sport Edition, only two weeks old so here are a few comments.

Her car feels much better without the Mag Ride, the new Sports suspension imo is excellent.
In auto it’s a much better ride than my 2018 FL RS3, which is still quite hard in auto mode especially as a daily driver.

One issue we have noticed is the exhaust is not popping or back firing anything like my FL car. Mine pops, farts all day long once warmed up, and on gearbox downshift it’s is terrific with several pops & bangs.

She is hoping this will get better as the miles go on the car, only 300 just now.

I did see on a YouTube video that the driver mentioned the 2019 model now has an OP or IPA filter installed within the exhaust system, and that the exhaust sounds were much quieter than the 2018 models.

Hopefully some other posters will technically explain this filter that has been added.

Unfortunately, it’s the same with the S3... all pops have gone and the DSG farts are no more :’( I suspect hers won’t get any better as it seems to be intended that they are this way. Does it pop at all if revved at idle?

Indeed once again unfortunately they have an OPF which will hold back some further noise, not sure if there will be as many regen issues as with a diesel we shall see.

Is it any quieter or has a different exhaust tone to yours?

Unfortunately, it’s the same with the S3... all pops have gone and the DSG farts are no more :’( I suspect hers won’t get any better as it seems to be intended that they are this way. Does it pop at all if revved at idle?

Indeed once again unfortunately they have an OPF which will hold back some further noise, not sure if there will be as many regen issues as with a diesel we shall see.

Is it any quieter or has a different exhaust tone to yours?

It is definitely quieter, and absolutely no farts during any form of driving or gear shifts.
What bugs me is WHY, how can Audi remove the sounds and the farts that define this amazing iconic car.
We thought it might get louder as the miles went on but looks like this won’t happen now.
My daughter won’t be happy with this news at all, the car is stunning but without the RS3 noise it sort of takes some of the pleasure away from it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
It is definitely quieter, and absolutely no farts during any form of driving or gear shifts.
What bugs me is WHY, how can Audi remove the sounds and the farts that define this amazing iconic car.
We thought it might get louder as the miles went on but looks like this won’t happen now.
My daughter won’t be happy with this news at all, the car is stunning but without the RS3 noise it sort of takes some of the pleasure away from it.

The noise makes the rs3, which is why I went for a prefl rather than a facelift as I wanted the best sound possible...if this PPF stuff really does that to an rs3, honestly I’d rather save a massive chunk of cash and just get an s3.

The fl still sounds good but not anywhere near as good as my prefl, it sounds like it’s trying too hard and it doesn’t sounds as genuine, nowhere near as throaty etc.

That being said, it is a better car dynamically if fast corners are your thing.

Honestly, I think this’ll be the last fun car I buy with all these new PPF’s coming out, it’s taking every nice sounding car down and tbh I’d rather just buy a big comfy boring diesel next than have my fun constrained by this rubbish.

Reactions: Terminator x, Count Drunkula, AudiNutta and 2 others
Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately my dealer parked a Nevada Grey RS4 Avant Sport iin my way in his showroom and that now sits on my drive instead of the ordered RS3. It has taught me that I do not like the variable handling you get with mag damper.

Good old eu regulations working there magic on modern sports cars:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Terminator x
So what does the auto mode setting do with mag ride suspension. I’ve never quiet understood how the auto function works. Is it varying the shocks based on speed or just how aggressively you are driving the car.

So what does the auto mode setting do with mag ride suspension. I’ve never quiet understood how the auto function works. Is it varying the shocks based on speed or just how aggressively you are driving the car.
Afaik it's just a slightly firmer setup between comfort and dynamic e.g. it doesn't auto adapt them on the move.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Afaik it's just a slightly firmer setup between comfort and dynamic e.g. it doesn't auto adapt them on the move.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

it firms up the dampers which makes the car more pointy, less comfortable. Both my wife and I prefered to drive in dynamic but passenger in Comfort. Whoever decided to put the mode switch accesable to the paßenger caused quite a few cross words. I would never specify them again because mine leaked and replacement cost quoted was hoŕrendous. That and the call of 400bhp was why the car had to go.