sport back fwd or quattro

nally

MPG the new BPH
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am currently on the hunt for an sline sport back to replace my sport/ s-line project 3dr.
I am not sure whether to go for a quattro or a nornmal 140.

Anyones opinions welcome. Would be helpful to hear from quattro owners.

what i have come up with so far
Pros for Quattro

winter driving safety

Cons

less mpg
higher tax

cheers nally

Ive got an '07 140 Sportback s-line FWD and it has spent most of its time in the alps this winter with a set of continental snowtyres all round, Its kept up with my mates 56 plate A4 avant quattro no problem. Now got summer tyres on and cannot complain about handling or loss of traction, still in the alps...........

Cant comment on a quattro because I've never had one.......

I would say that if fuel efficiency and tax are a concern (as they were with me) then a Quattro isn't really worth it for the 7 days of snow that we "might" get each year.

I have the same as Spencer and will be using it for snowboard trips up north without any worry.

If tax and fuel isn't a worry then get a quattro.

no worries its still helpful. i have my spare wheels and was going to buy snow tyres as a plan b.

sweet cheers guys. any thoughs from the quattro owners ?

Quite frankly those who think Quattro is only for snow are missing the point or have never owned one. We have had 7 !! and more FWD Audis and VWs.

Having had Quattros I would not even consider a powerful Audi 150bhp + without QUATTRO. They feel planted on the road, safe and secure and you have no scrambling about Torque steer etc.

I was dubious at first about the 'magic' of QUATTRO but for us there is no going back!!

Have driven a few miles in a FWD Tdi and yes I probably would. The Torque is pretty good on that motor and you will get Torque Steer, scrambling etc. The 170 FWD is worse but a far quicker and nicer motor which when coupled with Quattro has to be the best IMHO and we have had petrol 200 Quattro 8p, Petrol FWD 150 8P and on third Diesel Quattro 170. (The best I think!) But it's down to cash, etc for many and FWD Audi is OK BUT QUATTRO is way better.

i will have to test drive a 140 quattro. i agree if monkey was no object i would have the new black ed 170 quattro. any thing to wach for on quattros

Reactions: PilotAudi
My 140 has been remapped to 182 and hasn't put a foot wrong in the last 10,000 miles if thats a consideration, Agree with the quattro though, having never owned one i cant say how good they are. Would consider it next time for my next car or at least have a go of one first.

I have Quattro and it does give a good planted feel in all weathers... Agree with Pilots comments above.

I thought that Quattro on the diesels were only available on the 170bhp model??

:sign_ot:

A quattro has higher taxes than a 2wd with similar engines?
I hope the finance people here don't hear this!

I have Quattro and it does give a good planted feel in all weathers... Agree with Pilots comments above.

I think they do a 1.9 in the 8L as a quattro. i am lookin for a car like your i want to change the rear lights and install aftermarket rnse. if is dosnt have it. black, or lava. pref

I just wrote a massive post and lost it - Grr!!

To summarise: quattro makes a real difference and is totally worth it. You won't know what I mean until you drive one over the long term!

The Haldex system in the A3 is a torque-sensing differential with multiple clutch plates, which is simpler than the Torsen system used on bigger Audis. It is a permanent 4WD system (with at least 2.5% power to each of the rear wheels), but has a forward bias. In use, it's a really useful system and basically makes for a more confident driving style - you don't realise how much your brain compensates for the poor traction of 2WD until you drive 4WD.

BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems AB - www.haldex-traction.com/xwd

The TDi 140 was briefly available with quattro. On my old A3 2.0T, it truly "made" the car and I'd never get an Audi without it now.

Last edited:
OK I drive a Diesel 170 BHP Quattro and have to say it seems to stick to the road like glue , and does not suffer torque steer. There is a slight turbo lag from low revs , and the gearing on the gearbox are not right IMO , first gear runs out of puff too quickly , a slight rolling start in second is much better.
Coming to the FWD Vs 4WD would go 4Wd every time. I am getting an Average of 43 MPG with lots of short runs and have managed 57 MPG on a run at motorway speeds . It has plenty of squirt and go.
I drove it through heavy snow conditions this winter and was better then expected ( my last two cars were off roaders incl a Discovery), compared to my daughters FWD Toyota in the snow the difference was impressive. Again you don't notice it till it's not there.
Hope this helps a bit

OK I drive a Diesel 170 BHP Quattro and have to say it seems to stick to the road like glue , and does not suffer torque steer. There is a slight turbo lag from low revs , and the gearing on the gearbox are not right IMO , first gear runs out of puff too quickly , a slight rolling start in second is much better.
Coming to the FWD Vs 4WD would go 4Wd every time. I am getting an Average of 43 MPG with lots of short runs and have managed 57 MPG on a run at motorway speeds . It has plenty of squirt and go.
I drove it through heavy snow conditions this winter and was better then expected ( my last two cars were off roaders incl a Discovery), compared to my daughters FWD Toyota in the snow the difference was impressive. Again you don't notice it till it's not there.
Hope this helps a bit

+1 we are getting similar economy. FWD does not do it for me!! Have just had a 200BHP TFSi a couple of weeks ago and hated it!!!

I just wrote a massive post and lost it - Grr!!

To summarise: quattro makes a real difference and is totally worth it. You won't know what I mean until you drive one over the long term!

The Haldex system in the A3 is a torque-sensing differential with multiple clutch plates, which is simpler than the Torsen system used on bigger Audis. It is a permanent 4WD system (with at least 2.5% power to each of the rear wheels), but has a forward bias. In use, it's a really useful system and basically makes for a more confident driving style - you don't realise how much your brain compensates for the poor traction of 2WD until you drive 4WD.

BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems AB - www.haldex-traction.com/xwd

The TDi 140 was briefly available with quattro. On my old A3 2.0T, it truly "made" the car and I'd never get an Audi without it now.

thank you for the info
i have found two sport back with 55 & 57 k on them, a little bit too high mileage. but ones a quattro
best thing to do i think is keep on the look out and see what i can get for my money.

Hope this helps a bit

it dose thank you i am impressed with the mpg for a 170 quattro. do you drive eco ?

No complaints from a FWD 140 owner here!
i agree i love my car. but i think the quattro is somthing special. and as the tax and mpg on a 170. is the same as a 140 quattro i think that would be a more sensible choice. i would think a fwd 170 shreds tyres in more demanding driving ?

my mate in work has a nice 170 sport back. do the auto dims come as standard on an sline ?

it dose thank you i am impressed with the mpg for a 170 quattro. do you drive eco ?

Not really , I don't go mad but do like to give it a squirt up to speed. One tip I have noticed is that cruise control tends to use more fuel than my right foot . The cruise control will try to hold the desired speed and burn fuel particuarly going up hill , whereas my right foot will be more gentle and accept if the speeds drops a few MPH ..On a fairly level road not much difference. Though I am relying on the DIS to tell me what is going on , though to be fair my manual check of the MPG (fuel bought divided by miles off trip) seems to show the DIS as recording fairly accurately.

You can also get a TDi quattro in a 140bhp , i've got one :) i can honisty say it does really stick the the road, my mate has a fwd 2.0 TDi and it handles much better and holds all the power down :)

Not really , I don't go mad but do like to give it a squirt up to speed. One tip I have noticed is that cruise control tends to use more fuel than my right foot . The cruise control will try to hold the desired speed and burn fuel particuarly going up hill , whereas my right foot will be more gentle and accept if the speeds drops a few MPH ..On a fairly level road not much difference. Though I am relying on the DIS to tell me what is going on , though to be fair my manual check of the MPG (fuel bought divided by miles off trip) seems to show the DIS as recording fairly accurately.

i never boot mine off the lights. but once its rolling give it some every now and then.
my friends 170 sounds quieter than mine ticking over. what the actual diffrence in engin ?