Split rear seats?

m1tch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question on this, I have read that most of the saloons don't have rear split seats making the A4 saloon fairly impractical if you are wanting to transport anything around without a roof rack etc.

I have also read that some do have split rear seats as standard but only on certain models, although I don't need to constantly transport longer items around all the time I would like the option to be able to every now and then if needed. This also means that I might be looking to get an Avant instead of the standard saloon.

My main question is if split seats can be retrofitted into a non split seat saloon at all? Due to the car being a project car as well as a usable car every now and then I will probably look to take out the rear seats for weight saving but don't really want to pay the weight penalty of having the Avant over the Saloon.

I am tempted to just go with an Avant due to the practicality, I have had a few estates before and I do like the styling, the project initially started at the lighter A3, however I wanted a longitudinally mounted engine so am looking at the A4 saloon, but it now looks like I will be going with the heavier still A4 Avant.

Buy the avant mate best option and best looking out of the 2, but it sounds like you all ready know this

Reactions: Obnoxious Kids, DieselJake, martin1984 and 1 other person
As Tony has already said.....just get the best and get an Avant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Obnoxious Kids and martin1984
Wish my rear seats folded too, I've seen a few people modify the center armrest to be a "ski hatch" if that's any help?

From what I've seen it seems to be mostly S4's with the folding seats, just bear in mind the subwoofer and a load of metal is on the parcel shelf of cars without folding seats so if your planning to do this as a modification you might have a game on your hands.

Thanks guys, I think I might take the 50kg weight penalty on the Avant, my project goals moved slightly, the car's projected 1/4 mile will still be in the mid 11s as stock without any weight reduction. I had a Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel (OM606 engine) and pulled around 250kgs out of the car by simply unbolting easy items.

Dieseljake makes a fair point with regards to what else is attached to the back of the rear seats, think I will go with the Avant, I am also guessing that at the end of the project I will probably have the most powerful 2.0 TFSi powered B7 Avant around.

Reactions: DieselJake
i'm not wanting to knock you mate but are you sure you've got them figures right, i see bigger powered a4's not touching 11 seconds all over the net, like i say not wanting to knock you in any way mate, would be nice to see a big power 2.0t on here not been very many that i know of going nuts on the 1/4

i'm not wanting to knock you mate but are you sure you've got them figures right, i see bigger powered a4's not touching 11 seconds all over the net, like i say not wanting to knock you in any way mate, would be nice to see a big power 2.0t on here not been very many that i know of going nuts on the 1/4

Just using an online calculator which amalgamates various drag runs with different weights and power levels, at the end of the project the car will probably be in the 350-400bhp per ton zone.

yeh i like the sound of that lol. i just been looking at this one, may be food for thought for you

sorry wrong link try this one

Reactions: m1tch
yeh i like the sound of that lol. i just been looking at this one, may be food for thought for you

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=audi+a4+2.0+turbo+quarter+mile

Thanks for that, I have a project thread up already, Project Autounion, basically I am looking to match the power of the 1936 Autounion type C (most powerful Autounion made) at 520bhp - the engine when it's done should be putting out about the same power as the R8 but in a lighter body - plus a bit of weight saving.

As you can see I am still researching into which car to start with, will be fun when I do get the car but will take a while to build up to the final setup.

Should get some good times out of it, have run a 14.2 second pass in a stock FC3S RX7 with a boost leak and slipping clutch so shouldn't be too hard to get a good time.

nice, you should see my mates track car,

it's an ignis sport, lol. was a 1.5 vvti, now it's a 1.6 none vvti turbo'd running around 180bhp, full cage and meth injection, the car only weighs 850kg funny little thing it is lots of fun

nice, you should see my mates track car,

it's an ignis sport, lol. was a 1.5 vvti, now it's a 1.6 none vvti turbo'd running around 180bhp, full cage and meth injection, the car only weighs 850kg funny little thing it is lots of fun

link to your thread so any one in here interested can see whats going on

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/project-autounion.304850/

Thanks for that, I have spent a while researching into various engines for tunability, ideally I would go with a 1JZ or 2JZ but they are quite rare and are getting quite old now. Did look at the 1.8t but its not been produced for many years so will be going with the 2.0TFSi but making sure it's a quattro, FWD cars are fine up to a certain power level but due to the power goals for the project I needed a RWD or 4WD car - BMWs aren't turboed as standard and Mercedes have no real aftermarket tuning parts with the 230k engine having a very low rev limit for a 4 cylinder.

not fancy an s3 instead, would be a tad lighter than the a4's

not fancy an s3 instead, would be a tad lighter than the a4's

I initially looked at the A3 8p with the same engine which is indeed lighter, however I wanted a longitudinally mounted engine so I can fit the much larger turbo etc rather than having everything cramped under the bonnet with no space to work on it etc. I wouldn't go with an S3 though as they are much rarer than an A3 especially if I decide to strip the car out its no loss, anyway I will be stripping out the aircon etc and will hopefully find one with cloth seats. rather than heavy leather seats.

Reactions: tony mc
Don't knock the 1.8t just yet mate. Yes it hasn't been produced now for several years but people are still tuning them to silly levels, a lot more so than the tfsi units.

Don't knock the 1.8t just yet mate. Yes it hasn't been produced now for several years but people are still tuning them to silly levels, a lot more so than the tfsi units.

I have no issues with the 1.8t at all, its a great engine, the TFSi can have its oil pump upgraded using the stock 1.8t, its more of a fact that to get a lot more power out of the 1.8t you go with a stroker kit to around 2 litres, might as well start with a 2 litre engine to start with.