split pipes under mani

s3 jack

Reaction score
Hi guys
i have split/craking pipes directly under my manifold, they seem to be made of a harder plastic, is it ok to replace with silicone pipe or do i need to go to the steelers.

cheers

If its the plastic pipe that goes into the N249 vacuum system you can rip it out and do the N249 delete and replace it with 3mm ID silicone pipe. Again if its the pipe going to the FPR then replace that with silicone. If its the larger pipe that will be part of the oil breather system which can also be removed if you go for the Oil catch can system Westy has it on his progress thread.

Chris.

thanks for the info, have done the N249 bypass. think it must be the oil breather system then, the pipes in quetion are about 15mm in diameter and are stamped all over in the audi sighn, they conect into the side of the mani.

thanks for the info, have done the N249 bypass. think it must be the oil breather system then, the pipes in quetion are about 15mm in diameter and are stamped all over in the audi sighn, they conect into the side of the mani.

Ok when you say the side are you on about the left side as you look at the bay if so there the brake vacuum hose is it a U shape, that hose will need to be replaced with a hard silicone pipe it has a 3 way T piece valve in it which you can either replace or renew from a local parts dealer or eBay I replaced mine with 2 90 degree hard silicone pipes from ASH Auto Silicone Hoses - Silicone Polyester Reinforced Hose - 13mm - 90 Degree Elbows - 15 Colours joined the 2 together with the 1 way T piece valve. Have you done the Oil catch can mod as you can ditch most of the pipework and the 1 way T valve will be replaced by a 1 way valve

Chris.

Last edited:
Forge do a kit to replace all the rubber pipes underneath but most people remove them altogether to be honest and seeing as you have already done the N249 delete then its easier to remove the lot....
pipes.jpg

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the help rhubarb4 and tuffty the pipes are the ones as shown above. tuffty when you say remove the lot, do i need to cap anything off or keep some of it connected?

Underneath the inlet manifold there are three outlets... two small ones by the alternator and a larger one in the middle...
20100927_IMAG0340.jpg

Large one in the middle is where the PCV pipework gets its vacuum from, one of the small outlets goes to the FPR the other to the DV....

Basically... remove all the pipework in the previous picture, 3mm I/D silicon vac hose to the FPR, 4mm I/D silicon vac hose to the DV using the two little outlets and block off the large one in the middle...

Remove the PCV 'T' and replace with a bit of suitably sized rubber or silicon hose...
20100927_IMAG0337.jpg

The 'V' shaped hose on the end of the manifold (cyl 1 end) is removed with the rest of the pipework (bottom left in the pic of the pipes) and the servo vac ppe separated from it... the servo pipe is then clipped back on to the large outlet on the end... the servo vac pipe on the S3 has a check valve close to the servo so its fine to fit this as is...

<tuffty/>

Hi

I just replaced mine with an OEM pipe (actually replaces several bits) from TPS.

Part number was 06A 133 789 and cost about £60.

Here's a pic of it sitting on top of my inlet manifold.

6977826009_75f9829ccc.jpg

Liam

Will be attacking this tommoro, dont want to sound stupid, but is it easiest to remove the inlet manifould

jack

Will be attacking this tommoro, dont want to sound stupid, but is it easiest to remove the inlet manifould

jack

You don't need to at all - in my experience. You WILL need some jubilee clips though, ones which are appropriate for the three you need to replace. Getting the original Audi clips off can be a pain. I use some BIG pliers, small flat bladed screw driver and tin snips to carefully remove the old ones

Liam.