Spigot rings or not?

sinic

Audi WAudi
Reaction score
I spent 10 minutes searching for this but found nothing relating to it so here goes.

I've just bought a set of 2009 S line 18" wheels to go on my A4 B6.

I've not fitted larger wheels before so new to this.

The centre bore on the new wheels is bigger. Do I actually need spigot rings to fit them with? as I can fit the wheels, it's just not as easy as putting the orignal wheels on because you have to lift and jig the wheel around whilst trying to fit the studs but I've managed to get them on without too much effort, everything appears lined up properly and the all the studs tighten home and in line with the hubs ok.

So are spigot rings just bought to make putting bigger wheels on easier? or is there other reasons I should fit them?

By the way - the car looks the dogs danglies with these wheels, it's filthy from the past week commuting but when I get it as clean as the wheels I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for you help / advices :thumbsup:

They don't only help with alignment they loacte the wheel to prevent vibration. You may be lucky, I know i have never been

I'm surprised the the S-Line rims needs spigot rings, are they not a fixed center bore, are they original wheels?

Try driving your car at 50mph+ and see if there are any vibrations, if so, then yes, you will need some spigot rings.

I'm surprised the the S-Line rims needs spigot rings, are they not a fixed center bore, are they original wheels?

Try driving your car at 50mph+ and see if there are any vibrations, if so, then yes, you will need some spigot rings.

Yes they're Genuine 2009 A4 S Line Audi wheels with 2 good Potenza's and 2 that'll need replacing soon. I paid £350 for them...I'm still gobsmacked to be honest, they're over £400 each at Audi.
They've got the Audi logo, part number, Ronal etc on the back of all of them and 1 wheel has a 1" small scuff that'll brush back in, apart fro that they are like new.

Audi designed the 2008 as a totally a new car so the hubs from then on for the A4's are 66.1mm where as the B6 is 57.1mm, not sure about the B7. So they are a fixed centre bore like you say but to big for the B6 hubs.

Bought them from a retired couple with an Avant S line. Their car broke down with steering fault and they were given an A6 with 17's on. They then asked Audi why the A6 was less bumpy and more comfortable and then bought a set of new 17's from Audi with tyres for their A4 S Line.
They're just about to move house also and wanted a quick sale and took my first offer.
Still can't believe my luck :jump:

Here's a quick picture:
ZwPAtl.jpg

I've taken them off as I've read some horror stories when used without spiggot rings - studs snapping etc so going to wait until I get some spiggot rings to be safe, don't want to knacker my wheels and car so for the sake of £15 odd I'll wait but I'll be counting down the days until I get some.

The wheels are ET47 and have 245/40/18 tyres with a 66.1mm centre bore. Clearance on the front upper suspension arms was about 4mm and seemed ok. If I get any rub I'll probably go 235/40 or maybe even 225/40 on the front.