Spelling

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Some of may have seen my posts going on about the correct using of English. Well if you're as good at spelling as I am (not) then you may find this small piece of software useful. It works on all text entry boxes such as those used on this forum to enter a post or a reply and is FREE for personal use. It just becomes a button on your IE toolbar and when you've typed a post you just click the toolbar button and the software does a spell check for you. I use it in IE7 but I assume it will also work in IE6 and other browsers as well.

You can get a FREE copy here: http://www.iespell.com/

Personally, I think it mostly unnecessary to patrol the forum seizing on spelling mistakes and poor grammar. As long as the meaning is understandable then it's the subject matter that should be replied to without recourse to making the poster feel small. The only time it may be necessary is if someone is, for example, being exhorted to write to 'The Dealer Principle' which because of the incorrect spelling and significance is sufficiently important to correct.
I hope I've not made too many spelling mistakes.

lol wot duz dat prgm do
itz gunna hax ma comp

I own a private English language school in Eskisehir, Turkey. We must concede that spelling and grammar errors are inevitable sometimes. Does it really ****** matter anyway? I have ZERO problem trying to read short form. As long as the message is clear.

The English language is becoming more and more simplified by the day and we all must adapt.

I am away to get my lovely black car fully valeted now for 5 Euros. One of the perks of living and working here.

GlasgowRangers said:
I own a private English language school in Eskisehir, Turkey. We must concede that spelling and grammar errors are inevitable sometimes. Does it really ****** matter anyway?

So yer teaching Weegie ya bam. WHit oan earth were they thinking litin a bluenose teech weans.:jester:

Nae doot yiv goat them singing hello hello or the saaaaaaaaaaassssssssssh:whistle2: at the start of every morning.

On a seriuos ntoe. No i get the point. I'm an engineer and I'll be first to admit my spelling and grammer ain't great but engineers know how to fix it not nessacceraly(as in this word) spell it. When it comes to multiple s's and c's I'm beat.

I agree with Twissler(oops). As long as we are talking content then surely thats the point of the forum. The odd spelling mistake is not on the agenda and the occasional texter type message can also be slightly confusing but overall posters aren't bad.

Yeah if you want to use the spell checker no harm done. If you are challenged then fine it might be useful but I think most us will muddle along.

If we start BEBOing or MSNing then I'm f*%ked as thats a whole other young person ballgame that I'll never understand.

Jas

Some people just aren't great at spelling or grammer and i'm not about to start making people feel small because they can't converse in perfect english. I think we can always excuse a slip in grammer and a few mistakes. I do draw the line at text speak though, leave that on the Max Power site.

I am not great in english language but I would like you to speak and write portuguese as good as I write and speak english... spelling comes from reading... the more you read, the better you become at it...

Pedro

Most of us make some spelling mistakes or typos when we type, me included, but I thought some members might be interested in simple free spell checker to add to their browser.

Over the years I have built up quite a knowledge of the A3 and of Audi in general. I also have access to the current parts catalogue and electronic workshop manual and I'm more than happy, as most of you will know, to help anyone who asks with any information I can provide. I am happy to spend time looking up things in either of the resources. But it seems that some members cannot even be bothered to use a few mouse clicks to check what they have typed.

For your information I made 3 spelling mistakes typing this reply but corrected them with the aid of the spell checker and a few mouse clicks.

I am not great in english language but I would like you to speak and write portuguese as good as I write and speak english... spelling comes from reading... the more you read, the better you become at it...

If I could write Portuguese as well as you can write English, Pedro, I would be very happy. But your English is fine and a lot better than some people to whom English is their native language.

Just noticed that spell checking is built-in to the forum - just right-click on a word, and it will suggest.

Has that always been there ?

I agree with you... I make those mistakes myself. It is a good thing what you came up for... but people should not be lazy to write proper english, even though it is a car forum, I think proper writing never hurt anyone...

Keep up Dave!

Some people just aren't great at spelling or grammer and i'm not about to start making people feel small because they can't converse in perfect english. I think we can always excuse a slip in grammer and a few mistakes. I do draw the line at text speak though, leave that on the Max Power site.

I agree with you, which is why I decided to tell members about this simple piece of software that is so easy to use. I also agree that we can always excuse a slip in grammar and a few mistakes. I'm sure I make as many as the next person, but it does annoy me when some members don't even bother to try and never use capital letters or an apostrophe in a whole post.

I also agree with you about text speak, which has no place at all on other than a mobile phone.

I agree with you... I make those mistakes myself. It is a good thing what you came up for... but people should not be lazy to write proper english, even though it is a car forum, I think proper writing never hurt anyone...

Keep up Dave!

Yeah, keep it proper :laugh:

And to all you dyslexic people out there, im sure this is not a witch hunt :ohmy:

Just noticed that spell checking is built-in to the forum - just right-click on a word, and it will suggest.

The one I have given the link to just adds a button to the browser toolbar and when you've finished typing your post you just click the button and it spell checks the whole post, giving suggestions for any wrongly spelt words.

And to all you dyslexic people out there, im sure this is not a witch hunt

More trying to help than a witch hunt!

With hindsight perhaps the thread should have been titled Spell Checker rather than Spelling.

Better than reading about BMWs??????

So yer teaching Weegie ya bam. WHit oan earth were they thinking litin a bluenose teech weans.:jester:

Nae doot yiv goat them singing hello hello or the saaaaaaaaaaassssssssssh:whistle2: at the start of every morning

I used tae live in Winchburgh...no to far fae you mate. I rate Linlithgow. Pure dead brilliant wi a bottle ae Buckie and ma shellsuit around the Loch.

Ah'm pure mad wi it by ra way brar.

RFC :)

The one I have given the link to just adds a button to the browser toolbar and when you've finished typing your post you just click the button and it spell checks the whole post, giving suggestions for any wrongly spelt words.

OK.
The reply field red-underlines any words it thinks are mis-spelt, but you have to right click every underlined word to apply the correction.

I use a Mac, so don't have the option of using Incontinent Exploder.
(I always use Firefox).

I dont mind a few spelling and grammatical mistakes.

What does annoy me is text message talk - You have a full keyboard on front of you - use it!

Also really bad grammar can make things difficult to read. Ive seen many posts on here that don't even contain full stops or paragraphs. I can apreciate we all have varied levels of education, but its not hard to add a full stop and a new paragraph now and then.

I used tae live in Winchburgh...no to far fae you mate. I rate Linlithgow. Pure dead brilliant wi a bottle ae Buckie and ma shellsuit around the Loch.

I hope you don't teach you students to write English like that!!!!. I have some friends who live in Linlithgow - quite a nice place.

Didn't I read somewhere in the forum rules that if you post anything in a foreign language you have to provide a English translation as well!!!

RFC :)

Ah so are you a Jambo masquerading as a Ger or are you a genuine displaced weegie.

Aye Lithgy is the business. I won't shout to loudly as I'm a bairn that drifted slightly east with no affilations to the city's.

Just watched the Tic squirm a replay on the 91st minute at Pittodrie. Usual jammy Tic in the last minute. The Dons deserved the result.

So are the children facing Govan at prayers in the morning to the mantra of Super Alla.:jester:.

Were you in Winchy long?

Jas

Only for a couple of years. I'm Glesga born and bred. Thought Winchy was pure pish but Lithgy was nice and scenic. Some brilliant B-Roads by your way for putting the car right through the paces I would imagine.

Ah cannae fackin spel fir the fackin Buckie. Cuntybaws.

Gordie

Yip Lithgy is cool but I'm still an incomer even though I've been here about 19 years. You got to be a black bitch to be born and bred in this toon.

Yes some good roads around here as you will know. Would agree that Winchy was less than desirable. I see you've got a digital compass. Whats that all about. Is it a homing device when the beer goggles are on.;)

For your information I made 3 spelling mistakes typing this reply but corrected them with the aid of the spell checker and a few mouse clicks.
Perhaps you should look for a grammar and punctuation checker also. :nyah:

I must admit that I am one of those people who are very particular about spelling, grammar and punctuation. Maybe it is the programmer in me that likes to have everything in the right place - "i before e", "fruit flies like bananas", "eats shoots and leaves" and all that sort of stuff.

I particularly hate it when people spell one word when they mean another - lose\loose, desert\dessert, perspective\prospective, accepted\excepted, its\it's, etc., etc.

I can excuse the odd spelling mistake on a forum such as this one, given that we don't know who is posting, or their age or background, however, I think text speak has no place here. Granted, on a mobile phone it can sometimes be difficult to type the full words due to there being three or four letters per key, but on a computer there is a full keyboard, so why not use all the letters.

The English language is becoming more and more simplified by the day and we all must adapt.
No we must definately not or we'll all be using "yoot speak" all the time. If you just cave in on this then what hope do we have?
The odd typo is inevitable but some of the posts on here are barely English. If people can post in a second language more accurately than us natives then it really is no wonder that the country is falling apart - thin end of the wedge etc etc.
"Can't be *****" is just pathetic and probably sums up everyones approach to other aspects of their lives, so where will it end? Can't be ***** to do mental arithmetic? well just guess what change is needed for the customers Big Mac Meal then!

I can excuse the odd spelling mistake on a forum such as this one, given that we don't know who is posting, or their age or background, however, I think text speak has no place here. Granted, on a mobile phone it can sometimes be difficult to type the full words due to there being three or four letters per key, but on a computer there is a full keyboard, so why not use all the letters.

I agree. What also annoys me is what I call 'Lazy typing'. This is where someone cannot be bothered to use any Capital letters or spaces. I'm sure we all make mistakes with spelling, punctuation and grammer but at least we try. Lazy typer's just make no effort at all.

"Eats shoots and leaves" makes interesting reading.

I see you've got a digital compass. Whats that all about. Is it a homing device when the beer goggles are on.;)

It's pure pants mate. I would have been better glueing my old scout compass to the dash somewhere or maybe my sense of direction really is up my ****. It's a poor mans Sat Nav.

agree with text speak but I always laugh when people say that when they have a full QWERTY keyboard etc

This design is from the typewriter era, designed to stop the key arms from locking together when typing too fast, surely someone can invent something better!

I can type almost as fast using T9 on a mobile as I can on a PC QWERTY keyboard these days

This design is from the typewriter era, designed to stop the key arms from locking together when typing too fast, surely someone can invent something better!

Several different 'better' layouts have been tried in the past but none have taken off, mainly because there is too much learning already invested in the QWERTY layout.

Wow this **** is boring, another thread, there is nothing you can do about it, deal with it!

Wow this **** is boring, another thread, there is nothing you can do about it, deal with it!

The title says what the thread is about. If you're not interested don't read it.

Good point, I wont, then again you could of just added your comments on the matter to the other thread which went on about exactly the same thing without having to create another thread so I wont get tempted to click on the thing and waste a few minutes of my life reading about people who get upset over something so pathetic its untrue. I dont think I have seen one case of text speak on this forum, just lazy english which I use myself because this is a ****** forum and not an exam!

Surely there are more important things for you to be worrying about.

As a member of a few forums and a dyslexia sufferer , i think too much is being made of spelling and grammer on this forum ( 8p ) overall it's ****** good!

My dyslexia manifest's itself in the form of i spell words how i pronounce them , and owning an acute Salford/Manchester accent can make correct spelling and grammer hard! LOL

Or i'm typing the words in my head , but not on the screen, i do try to make sense and correct any mistakes.

I think unless it's text speak or someone is really not trying , let it be....it's not a spelling contest.

Thanks

leon AKA Phantom:thumbsup:

Phantom, Looks like your making a pretty job of it to me.

Surely there are more important things for you to be worrying about.

Some of us DO think it's important to write correctly. Lazy typing is the sign of a lazy person. It's just as important on a forum as anywhere else in life. It takes very little effort to type correctly as to type incorrectly.

As to the relevance to the A3 forum, I am not the least bit interested in wide wheels, lowered suspension, big exhausts, body kits, RNS-E and many other things discussed on this forum. In those cases I can, if I choose, not bother to read those threads.

One of the reasons for the original posts was to help members (me included) who do wish to try and spell words correctly to have an easy way to check their posts and correct ant errors.

Please read the 'Sticky' about the use of English that has just been added to the 8P forum by the moderators.

As a member of a few forums and a dyslexia sufferer , i think too much is being made of spelling and grammer on this forum ( 8p ) overall it's ****** good!

My dyslexia manifest's itself in the form of i spell words how i pronounce them , and owning an acute Salford/Manchester accent can make correct spelling and grammer hard! LOL

Or i'm typing the words in my head , but not on the screen, i do try to make sense and correct any mistakes.

I think unless it's text speak or someone is really not trying , let it be....it's not a spelling contest.

Thanks

leon AKA Phantom:thumbsup:

I know exactly what you mean by spelling as it sounds, dont know if thats a Manchester thing or not!!

Either way, I am not the best at spelling and grammer and I type too fast to a give monkeys about going over it all and checking for mistakes etc especially when its a forum and not a CV and letter of application for a job! Text speak is a big no no, spelling and grammer is a different thing altogether.

This was all discussed about three weeks ago

Some of us DO think it's important to write correctly. Lazy typing is the sign of a lazy person. It's just as important on a forum as anywhere else in life. It takes very little effort to type correctly as to type incorrectly.

As to the relevance to the A3 forum, I am not the least bit interested in wide wheels, lowered suspension, big exhausts, body kits, RNS-E and many other things discussed on this forum. In those cases I can, if I choose, not bother to read those threads.

Please read the 'Sticky' about the use of English that has just been added to the 8P forum by the moderators.

Then thats your opinion of which you are entitled and I am entitled to mine. I have read the sticky, I agree with anything related to text speak, I dont agree with the way it comes across as very pedantic. It could be dealt with on case by case basis which I feel is rare on here. Thats not for me to decide though.

Only for a couple of years. I'm Glesga born and bred. Thought Winchy was pure pish but Lithgy was nice and scenic. Some brilliant B-Roads by your way for putting the car right through the paces I would imagine.

Ah cannae fackin spel fir the fackin Buckie. Cuntybaws.

Gordie

I've been in this country too long. I can understand all this stuff now.