Speeding ticket

Randomjim

Reaction score
Think i got caught speeding earlier by a camera van. I was doing about 50 in a 40 on a dual carriageway. Any loop holes?

I know tut tut. Yea i think it's 3 points and £60, am i right? Just got the wait to see if a letters going to arrive on my doormat.

remember fight everything as if every person thought that way the whole system would be on melt down

That sounds good i'd definatly go for that.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i jumped on the brakes quick enough. Or clutching at straws that they couldn't read my german number plates :happy:

LottieA3 said:

If every person that gets a NIP through the post questioned it instead of accepting the word of the police they would not be able to cope with it and it would bring the whole robbing system down

Is it true there's a certain amount of time you have to recieve a letter by?

Randomjim said:
Right, i'll start the countdown from today then.

Just thought I'd tell you that my missus got done by a camera van on a Wednesday morning, and the NIP was at the doorstep on Friday Morning!, so no such a long wait really...

Oh right there goes that lol. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

im in the same postion as you randomjim happend on a gatso went 35ish, then i seen there is a camera hope i braked on time happend in birmingham. hate waiting around happend on good friday.

There was a thing on Tonight with Trevor Mcdonald that showed these laser detectors are notoriously unreliable.

You could always argue you don't know who was driving at the time.

...the only way you can get away with doing that is if you are able to prove you have done everything possible to identify the driver. You can also get done for perjury if they find out you lied.

Only if it goes to court, which if you have someone who will happily take the points then it won't. They're not interested in who was driving they just want the £60.
My wife got done on a mobile trap in Jan and genuinely didn't know if it was her or her mum driving so asked for photo evidence. The police said the photo wouldn't show who was driving and said it would be easier if one of them just paid up. Now if my wife had paid up and she wasn't driving then she would be just as guilty of perjury. They didn't seem that bothered. She refused the NIP and asked for photo evidence, which they duly sent, over 3 months later and still awaiting the court summons.
Everyone I implore you DO NOT sign any NIP's you get, leave it for the maximum 28 days, then plead not guilty & take it to court, beat the feckers at their own game, call their bluff. The court system is on its knees already and cannot cope, I don't think an additional 2 million cases per year will help the situation. It is the police's obligation to prove who was driving and with every NIP they fail to do so with this joke of blackmailing people into holding their hands up.
If you do eventually get a summons you can always then plead guilty at the last minute (based on the photo evidence), you do NOT have to go to court (unless you are on 9 points or excessively speeding, in which case you'd have to go to court anyway and the NIP offer is redundant).
OK you will get a stiffer fine, but it's more likely they'll either bin the case or run out of time to present it to the courts (they only have 6 months from the offence).
Maybe then they'll actually concentrate on the real causes of accidents on our roads i.e. plain bad driving/mobile phone use/uninsured drivers & unfit vehicles.

You get a stiffer fine but Im sure you end up with 6 points instead of the 3?

On Andys last point, it still amazes me the amount of people who still don't even have the bare minimum of a bluetooth earpiece for their phone when they're driving.

It's not worth risking the 3 points for the sake of a £20 earpiece....

silver75 said:
You get a stiffer fine but Im sure you end up with 6 points instead of the 3?

No maxium they can give you is 3 points and higher fine but it is worth it in my eyes!!

On the subject of speeding and lazer traps, whilst drivng along the same bit of A34 I got done with a lazer trap, I noticed there was a slip road to make a u-turn in the grass bit that seperates the roads with which you are heading, king of a dual carriageway, but with a 30 mph restriction.
What would have happened if I had known that I was going to be done for my stupid speed, and with my quick thinking and reactions, I brake sharpely and do a quick u-turn to avoid the trap?
AFAIK, thay havn't taken a pic of my car, with the only evidence of my speed being a number on a lazer gun, would I have got away with it?... in hindsite that is... or one for the future :)

"You get a stiffer fine but Im sure you end up with 6 points instead of the 3?"
No, still the same 3 points, the offence hasn't changed, just the way you would like to deal with it. The stiffer fine is just to cover court costs.
6 points would be for offences that would not be dealt with by a NIP offer anyway, so it would have to go to court regardless.

Still not recieved anything, a guy i was talking to at work suggested it could of been a dvla tax disc checking van.....

Did you get a good look at the van as you went by? 'cos every one that I have seen have some sort of "Camera Safety Scheme" written on them.

I didn't see anything written on the side of the van but the camera was a bit wierd. Had a really long lens and looked a bit different to the usual.

The camera vans here in Leicestershire have weird looking long lens.
If it was unmarked, then it sounds like a tax checking vehicle.
Was there any speed camera warning signs up? I believe by law they have to warn you.

I din't see any and neither did my two mates who also think they got done so hopefully it was a dvla van.

Round here, they occasionaly put the camera van in area's where there isn't permanent camera warning signs. But when they do, they put up temp signs on lamposts and a stand alone one at the side of the road.
Like Mr Rev-Head says, don't count your chickens yet, but I think you can be hopeful :icon_thumright:

Well they've got a week to send it out to me so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If the car is registered to you then you usually get the NIP within 3 working days, so you should be OK. Strange how the police can be incredibly efficient when they want to be.