Speeding Ticket??

rams_s3

Reaction score
Just on my way home from work travelling in a 60 zone, admittedly speeding maybe doing 70-75mph. The limit changed suddenly from 60 to 40, I didn't notice until I saw a bmw traffic car parked up in a lay by on opposite side of the road. Obviously slammed the anchors on well before I passed him and he didn't react, does this mean he wasn't looking for speeders and just doing the general ANPR tax/insurance/mot checks? Or will I receive a ticket through the post? I would of thought he would of come after me to issue me the ticket and the usual ticking off.

Any police officers here?

I agree, he would have followed/chased you if he had a problem with your speed.

I wouldn't worry mate like @WOLF said i wouldnt worry as he didnt follow you, would be a different story if he had

Wiping sweat off my brow as we speak. Thanks for replies. I've even been an re run the event to see how it looked to him. I'm worried as I'm on 9 points already.

Wiping sweat off my brow as we speak. Thanks for replies. I've even been an re run the event to see how it looked to him. I'm worried as I'm on 9 points already.
9 points......I hope im right:D

But seriously mate and I don't want to appear to be patronising but with 9 points you need to keep to the speed limits:angrymod:

The cameras on top of their cars mate are just for ANPR not speeding that's why they still have to use the manual speed gun. If he didn't have one of them out I think your pretty safe

I did a similar a year or so ago and back then I used to work with an ex traffic cop and that's what he told me

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade here, but ...

... did you notice whether the Officer or his colleague had a hand held camera?

If your not sure I'm afraid you got to sweat it out for 2 weeks & see if you get a NIP thro' the post

By your own admission you were doing 70-75mph in a 60mph zone anyway, which says a lot TBH

Reactions: NHN
6 of my points are for driving a van with two tyres below legal tread depth limit. 3 are for speeding admittedly. But your right I do need to be careful!,

No hand held camera he was sat in the drivers seat alone.

Big ugly square box camera in front windscreen next to rear view mirror = ANPR / proVida camera. Used for measured mile speed detection following an offending vehicle. You see lots of this on "traffic cops".

There is also the rear "coke can" camera facing at an angle in rear window is ANPR / proVida camera.

For static speed detection there is only two ways - handheld pointed in direction of on coming traffic (Lt2020) or the rear view "coke can" also facing on coming traffic (at an angle) when sat in a lay by.

If you didn't get pulled over instantly you are fine. The cars have no capability to record a speeding offence and send a ticket at a later date.....

Last edited:
Reactions: nervus and A3-Lee
That sounds a knowledgable reply. I'll go with that!

Reactions: Pulp84
6 of my points are for driving a van with two tyres below legal tread depth limit. 3 are for speeding admittedly. But your right I do need to be careful!,

No hand held camera he was sat in the drivers seat alone.
Because you got 6 points for 2 tyres on the same day, they are, for disqualification purposes classed as 3

So in effect although you have 9 points, for totting purposes you only have 6 at the mo

Known people still driving with 15+ points & don't meet the totting rule

That sounds a knowledgable reply. I'll go with that!

Yep had a "charity" day with my local traffic police and air ambulance as we do a lot of fund raising for them at my company.

Had a full run down of the BMW unmarked 5 Series they used. Was very interested as you can imagine in this part of the tour......I listened intently.

The systems are not that sophisticated to auto record offences and issue fines hence why you will always get stopped and then issued with a ticket. Fixed cameras / traffic vans do the central fine issuing.

Reactions: rams_s3
Yeah the points are from 01/11 so don't qualify for the totting up now anyway. Still don't want any more though.

Also - I think, technically, the hand held speed cameras - radar or laser - are not type approved to be used whilst sat inside the car - they have to be out of the car.

There have been a few cases where the copper has been too lazy to get out of the car, these have been challenged, but this may have changed recently with type approval.

You are correct. Think they were approved from 2009 to be used from the car window.

From memory there are two that have approval - LT2020 and one called the "cyclops" which oddly has two lenses in the front. The force that I saw the demonstration of had approval to use both lasers while sat in the car (for safety reasons) on the motorway. The officer was saying that they are relying more and more on the proVida though in the rear window as it means they can sit in a lay by and don't need to leave the car.

I thought they were lazy but its all about officer safety - think they said the LT2020 only gets used the old fashioned way, standing by the side of the road when in 30mph / 40mph zones in built up areas.....

The ACPO Guide to Operational Use of Speed Detection Technology is an interesting read:

RADAR
Radar speedmeters can be used by operators that are within a vehicle; however, the speedmeter must be at an open aperture and not be within the body of the vehicle to avoid reflections.

LASER
Laser speedmeters must not be used through glass or plastic screens to avoid diffraction or scattering of the laser beam.

You then get into discussions about accuracy re-hand held laser devices, due to "sweep error" etc. which is why I guess the laser devices are best used on a tripod, and not hand held in a car

GENERAL
Police radio transmitters, whether hand-held or car mounted, must not be used at the moment a vehicle speed is being measured. Turn off the in-car and personal radio equipment or set to ‘transmit inhibit,’ where available, for the duration of the speed measurement unless the device is Home Office Type Approved and is shown to be unaffected by radio interference.

Would this include mobile phones then? ;)

More nuggets:
http://library.college.police.uk/docs/ACPO/Speed-and-red-light-technology-2011.pdf

So what you are saying is that a speeding camera in a police car will need to stop you to issue the ticket, whereas the mobile speed vans can record and post the ticket to you?

So what you are saying is that a speeding camera in a police car will need to stop you to issue the ticket, whereas the mobile speed vans can record and post the ticket to you?
Nope, they dont need to stop you

Be safer and easier if everyone stuck to the speed limit mind posted mind ...

& yes I am guilty of speeding, but NEVER in 20's, 30's & 40's

He wouldn't of been much of a traffic officer if he let me pass him, speeding without pulling me. Say 1/2 mile down the road id killed myself and another motorist because of excessive speed then it turns out I'd received a speeding ticket from a parked officer literally seconds earlier. He'd be in deeper sh*+t than elton johns....

I noted in an earlier post - traffic cars do not have the facility to record and automatically issue fines. You will get stopped, told off, shown the offence on the car system and then given the ticket or a ticket that notes the offence will be passed to magistrates court.

The vans have a totally different system that records you coming head on, automatically records speed over a measured distance, your number plate and obviously a picture of you driving.

This information (its like a video tape) is then analysed and a letter is sent centrally from the Safety Camera Partnership.

I noted in an earlier post - traffic cars do not have the facility to record and automatically issue fines. You will get stopped, told off, shown the offence on the car system and then given the ticket or a ticket that notes the offence will be passed to magistrates court.

The vans have a totally different system that records you coming head on, automatically records speed over a measured distance, your number plate and obviously a picture of you driving.

This information (its like a video tape) is then analysed and a letter is sent centrally from the Safety Camera Partnership.

In our area, they have hand held cameras which the Officers point out of the traffic car window

Like the static vans, they record all the offences on DVD which are then analysed and then issue NIP's etc back at a central unit to the offending drivers

No need for the Officer to stop you at all

Slightly off topic, but I got a ticket from a speed camera when I didn't realise the limit had changed from 40 to 30mph.

I then bought one of these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFORAD-K...1?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a3d86e613

Its not the best detector in the world, but for £30 it lets you know if you are approaching a known speed camera doing over the limit.

On 9 points, I would have thought something similar would be a no-brainer?

In our area, they have hand held cameras which the Officers point out of the traffic car window

Like the static vans, they record all the offences on DVD which are then analysed and then issue NIP's etc back at a central unit to the offending drivers

No need for the Officer to stop you at all
Very possibly - the system I was shown was the proVida video / laser system which is the one I think most forces used. Its an integrated car system.

The one you mention is a new one, never heard of a system like that - be interested to see how they could keep it stable from a Car window to get sufficient traffic coverage for extended periods.

I then bought one of these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFORAD-K...1?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a3d86e613

Its not the best detector in the world, but for £30 it lets you know if you are approaching a known speed camera doing over the limit.

For 30GBP I'd be concerned how much they invest in updating the camera location database. Road Angel are a bigger outfit and even their database wasn't up to PocketGPSworld when the two were compared a while ago.

I agree with the concept of these and I have PGPSW on my TomTom.

I don't advocate speeding either but who hasn't crept over the limit at some point; whether accidentally, on purpose, or just because the sign was obscured by trees / other road sign detritus / simply nicked for the scrap metal value.

John.

If the sign isn't there, or covered up, it's not legal and you aren't 'speeding', so no worries.

I very much worry about people who are incapable of keeping to a speed in their car though... I don't find it any trouble at all. Are they in control of their vehicles?

Systems get updated, so you need to wait it out unfortunately, shxt happens, you were speeding, if you get a ticket, then so be it, one of those things.

Very possibly - the system I was shown was the proVida video / laser system which is the one I think most forces used. Its an integrated car system.

The one you mention is a new one, never heard of a system like that - be interested to see how they could keep it stable from a Car window to get sufficient traffic coverage for extended periods.
Unfortunately for us they've been around for a while here :keule:
Our Force area also has night vision speed cameras too, which are regularly deployed quite close to where I live :keule:

Thank goodness for cruise control :thumbs up: