Speeding ticket

laurra

Reaction score
Website
www.e-miestas.com
Hi!
My friend was just driving my car and he took very beautiful picture from the back. How much should I expect ticket for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was A14 (I think. Huntington to Cambridge) and he was driving about 90-92 miles per hour.

But it's very strange, sometimes cameras works sometimes they don't work, plus there are always signs: "Cameras ahead" or whatever, but there is almost never max limit written near them. So how in the hell some people should know how fast they should go. Especially, when sometimes cars are overtaking in such a high speeds.

Well I don't think 90mph is allowed anywhere in the UK so that excuse isn't really valid.
If it's an unrestricted road (national speed limit) dual carriageway with central reservation/crash barriers then it'll be a £60 fine & 3 points. If there's no crash barriers then it's a court appearance as he was doing 30mph over the 60 limit, 6 points and £200+ fine depending on financial circumstances.
Was it 2 flashes off the camera?
Single flash off a Gatso usually means it's not loaded, 2 flashes means it can confirm how fast he was going by the road markings and usually means a NIP in the post.

AndyMac, there was 2 flashes, but that is the thing, that it is my car and I gave to him for evening. Does it means I will get penalty? BTW, he is not from England and his licence is not english. And the limit actually is 70, not 60. Isn't it?

TDI-line, I found that website yesterday, but couldn't find any clear info.

OMG, it is so annoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Here from http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/FAQ/FAQ.htm :

" My car was being driven by someone else at the time . You should provide the police with the details of the driver and they will then pursue them for the speeding offence. If the driver was visiting from outside of the UK and especially outside of the EU, then experience shows that they will not pursue the case outside of the UK.They may write to you and try and get you to prove that this other person was driving, but you only need to give them the name and address and don't need to supply any more info."

That makes sense:)

Laurra what you doing letting someone else drive your Audi ,i would be pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off if i gave a shot of my Audi to someone and then they say oh by the way i was doing 90mph and i think you have a ticket coming in the post .......lol

If they have a good camera picture they should be able tell who was driving the car so that should make things easier for you

You live and learn in life

Rev-head, but it was at night and picture taken from the back. Do you think they still will be able to see who was driving?

Only front facing camera's can ID the driver.
As stated it's 60 single carriageway, 70 dual carriageway.

It depends on the particular county, they all have different thresholds, but the rough guide is that 30mph over the limit is an immediate court appearance to plead your case i.e. no fixed penalty. Depending on the circumstances, driving history, hardship, leaves on the line etc will dictate the duration of the ban anything from 1 week to 1 year.
This doesn't mean that doing less than 30 over the limit is a fixed penalty, there's a big grey area as to where the threshold is between an FP and a court appearance, even on motorways it varies.
It's hardly surprising that people are confused. If they really believe that speeding is the cause of accidents (as opposed to the actual causes - bad driving, lack of concentration, roadworthiness etc) then they should give us hard & fast rules on what the limits are.

Normally you'll get a NIP addressed to you and should declare who was driving and send it back. They then send re-issue the NIP to the driver.

Not sure how this will work for someone from abroad though. It raises the question of whether he was legally driving your car - was he insured to drive it and is his licence valid in the UK ?

Laurra

I used to drive the A14 quite a bit when i lived in cambridge and some of my friends had cameras flash them but they never heard anything after that.

but - they were going 75 - 80 ish not up in the 90's

Isn't there some statistic like only 1 in 4 has film in them or something like that??

also - how long ago did this happen? usually, if you've not heard anything after three weeks your generally ok

They've only got 14 days to issue the NIP as long as it's a privately owned car.