Speed/Radar detectors?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I always thought these were illegal in the UK?
I am from canada originally and you can buy them everywhere.

I have been reading today that they are legal in the UK but they are discussing this in parliment right now.

Does anyone know which one to buy and a good one thats cheapesh?

How good are they over here?

Thanks

I was of the impression that all they did was alert you to the fact that you had been caught, they don’t actually alert you in time to do anything.

Or just save your money and drive to the speed limit! It doesn't stop the unmarked police car behind you clocking your speed ;)

Reactions: Bells, NevMan, Peter Peter and 1 other person
No they actually can reach 1 mile, my dad never got a ticket with one of those. They go nuts if they know a laser or radar is around.

Yes it would be good to do the speed limit, but everyone will go over even if its 5mph, accidents happen.
Also police love changing speed limits and sitting there on the day of the change, they will do anything to get money.
Someone has done a report and they catch speeders for money not because of accidents.
There are some locations where there has never been a recorded accident but its their biggest money maker.

Hey
I always thought these were illegal in the UK?
I am from canada originally and you can buy them everywhere.

I have been reading today that they are legal in the UK but they are discussing this in parliment right now.

Does anyone know which one to buy and a good one thats cheapesh?

How good are they over here?

Thanks
Man u are going too to far equipping car with many things possible now police radar he wants :D:D:D
Just install app called Waze and u will see most of the cops out there .. ;) reporting you can report everything too
Cops here not gonna point that american sht towards you here .. they are too lazy they just sitting in car on bridges and your radar is useless as if they see you driving fast for very long time they will contact other crew or stealth police and they will eventually catch you up as they are spreaded over highways + big side cameras makes you to slow down to 70
And your car is only 150 bhp you do not need such thing .. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris4410
No they actually can reach 1 mile, my dad never got a ticket with one of those. They go nuts if they know a laser or radar is around.

Yes it would be good to do the speed limit, but everyone will go over even if its 5mph, accidents happen.
Also police love changing speed limits and sitting there on the day of the change, they will do anything to get money.
Someone has done a report and they catch speeders for money not because of accidents.
There are some locations where there has never been a recorded accident but its their biggest money maker.

The Police don't (in the UK) profit from speed enforcement, so I think you're a little off beam. The biggest money maker I'm aware of is the (plainly visible) fixed camera at the southern end of the M11 where the limit goes from 70 to I think 50. London-bound. It's the local councils who profit from them in that case.

Man u are going too to far equipping car with many things possible now police radar he wants :D:D:D
Just install app called Waze and u will see most of the cops out there .. ;) reporting you can report everything too
Cops here not gonna point that american sht towards you here .. they are too lazy they just sitting in car on bridges and your radar is useless as if they see you driving fast for very long time they will contact other crew or stealth police and they will eventually catch you up as they are spreaded over highways + big side cameras makes you to slow down to 70
And your car is only 150 bhp you do not need such thing .. :D

Leaving aside your humour ;-) UK Police do use radar at mobile speed traps and at one time were well known for doing so on the M4 in Wiltshire. Plus a number of fixed cameras in the UK use radar to detect and measure the speed of an approaching car. And in these Digital days, they never run out of film.

Leaving aside your humour ;-) UK Police do use radar at mobile speed traps and at one time were well known for doing so on the M4 in Wiltshire. Plus a number of fixed cameras in the UK use radar to detect and measure the speed of an approaching car. And in these Digital days, they never run out of film.

Thank you @rafletcher , this is all I wanted to know, if they were the same here as the USA and Canada.
I can get a full equip radar detector for £50.00, and regardless if its a waste of money its worth that £50.00 as I think the tickets are now 100.00 so even if it saves me just 1 ticket, its worth it.

I just wanted to know if they use lasar and radar here like in the USA as the one I am buying would not work otherwise.

Love the joke about me having a 150BHP and wouldnt need one LOL, I do have troubles getting to 70mph ha ha

Love the joke about me having a 150BHP and wouldnt need one LOL, I do have troubles getting to 70mph ha ha
If you saw and heard my nephews car you would think he had about 200bhp in it rather than 90bhp :D Twin exhausts, lowered, body kit etc....we were all young once :)

Reactions: NevMan
If you saw and heard my nephews car you would think he had about 200bhp in it rather than 90bhp :D Twin exhausts, lowered, body kit etc....we were all young once :)

Does he think he can take your A5? lol

Yeah I am not into those pops and bangs, dump valves ect. I like sleeper cars.
I like light mods with class, maybe a stage 1 just to get the best out of the engine, but thats about it.

Does he think he can take your A5? lol

Yeah I am not into those pops and bangs, dump valves ect. I like sleeper cars.
I like light mods with class, maybe a stage 1 just to get the best out of the engine, but thats about it.
He came with me when I collected the S3, after 5 mins he said "I'd put a louder exhaust on it" I just laughed and said I'm in my 40's mate not my teens" :p But yeah I like cars that look normal but shift when needed.

I use the cheeta 150 which has free updates for life, but not the cheapest one out there. All it will do though is tell you where the designated cam sites are and alert you to the road speed for that section. I find them pretty good and accurate whether around my home between the A1/M1 north of london or the many mobile sites in North Yorks area. I think as said above that it is illegal to have a device that blocks a police radar signal which does cause a problem when the police car (not the Mobile detectors) are working ad hoc areas.

They dont block the signal they pick up the laser and radar signal which I think is in Hertz or Megahertz and the detector will start beeping when it picks up those signals and you know to slow down.
I have seen the devices you are talking about, but there are very good free apps for those, I want to just pick up the laser signals when the cops are at the side of the road or tucked away trying to hide.

The problem with radar/laser detectors used to be the false alerts, and also the limited range at which they worked. Both of these were worse on the cheaper models. From what I remember, they are legal as they only check for the presence of a signal & don’t try to decode or block it.

Am sure tech had moved on over the years but since GPS became mainstream, speed cam POIs/location data have taken over.