Speed limit option?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Is there a speed limiting function on the S3 or any other audis?

Mercedes seems to be the only manufacturer that offers a way to limit your maximum speed and was wondering if anyone has seen that option on any other car.

RS6 didn't limit it, it just made a beep when you went over the set limit.

RS6 didn't limit it, it just made a beep when you went over the set limit.

Most new cars have a speed warning option but mercedes seems to be the only one offering a speed limit feature. Extremely useful for staying under the speed limit when cruise control just wont do.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
According to the Owner's manual, there is a speed warning function available. I can confirm that it is fitted to the A3 Sportback e-tron and once set via the MMI, gives an audible and visual warning if the set speed is exceeded by about 3 km/h.

Yes there is one of the A3 and can be set via the MMI,

You can also spec a spec limit sign reader as part of the assistance packs but who wants to get a beep every time you go 1-2mph over the speed limit when we wall know speeedos are set to read high

Yes but there is a clear difference between speed limiting and speed warning. In all car's I've seen, some have one or more speed warnings but Mercedes seems to be the only one offering a speed limit. Say you set the limit to 60 mph, now even if you floor the pedal without depressing the kickdown button, the car will never go above 60 mph unless you are driving downhill but even then the car will downshift and may even break to reach the desired speed limit.
This will probably be the the feature I will miss the most in my S3 coming from a benz but I can live without it.

Can't imagine it's a safe feature when your overtaking?

:meeting:

Reactions: jetron
Speed warning and speed limit are not the same thing.

On my M135i, I could configure it to beep when you hit a certain speed, much like the A3. However, the steering wheel also had a "LIM" button that you could push to set a max speed. It was very useful for built up areas so that you didn't constantly worry about speed cameras. You could override the limit by pushing the accelerator all the way to the kickdown button.

Reactions: drummerdimitri

Why is that? Just floor the pedal and depress the kickdown button and the car will acceleration as hard as possible for overtaking. To resume the speed limiting all you need to do is flick a stick toward you and you're back.

Speed warning and speed limit are not the same thing.

On my M135i, I could configure it to beep when you hit a certain speed, much like the A3. However, the steering wheel also had a "LIM" button that you could push to set a max speed. It was very useful for built up areas so that you didn't constantly worry about speed cameras. You could override the limit by pushing the accelerator all the way to the kickdown button.

That seems to work the same way as the benz. Hope audi has such an option as well because it always makes you feel secure and avoid speed tickets.

Renault offer speed limiter on most cars even the 0.9 Clio my wife drives has it. Very useful. Although it doesn't have active breaking.

Ford offer a "my key" function that can be used to limit speed along with the radio volume ect

Renault offer speed limiter on most cars even the 0.9 Clio my wife drives has it. Very useful. Although it doesn't have active breaking.

I have had several cars with speed limiters and possibly some were VAG group cars, one might have been a Skoda (but can't be sure). The Kia I had this week certainly had it

If you buy an ex Royal Mail Van I think they are speed limited.

I dont mean to be funny but have you a good reason for needing this? I've not come across it before.

I had a Citroen DS3 as a hire car last year that had a programmable limiter, I remember thinking it was a pretty handy feature for urban areas.

I find the speed warning very useful, lost count of how many times its gone off so far. Can't stop pressing the noise pedal :D

I asked this question on this forum while I was waiting for mine. My son bought a Citroen C4 which had it. It was told that ACC did it. But I don't have it - wish I did now but too late.

Surely urban areas are where you should be paying attention to your speed more. I don't understand.

A speed limiter function can be found on other marques (eg Mercedes) - and is usually combined with CC.

On the Mercedes for example, you push in the stalk to change function from CC, to speed limiter.

And the speed limited can be over-ridden by flooring the accelerator, to the kick down button/switch.

Audi doesn't offer this, no.

A speed limiter function can be found on other marques (eg Mercedes) - and is usually combined with CC.

On the Mercedes for example, you push in the stalk to change function from CC, to speed limiter.

And the speed limited can be over-ridden by flooring the accelerator, to the kick down button/switch.

Audi doesn't offer this, no.

This feature should be offered on all cars as standard nowadays or at least as an option just like heated seats are on most cars these days. It just ****** me off that Audi doesn't have such a simple yet extremely useful feature!

All HGVs and many work vans have this built in.

However I imagine a speed limiter could be an eye opener if you're not trained or used to it,

All versions of the Vauxhall Adam have it as standard.
My work Vauxhall Combo has a limiter, but it only activates at 70mph, you can't use it at any other speed, which could be useful for 50mph average speed camera roadworks

The Mercedes limiter can be set at any speed, its very useful.

Reactions: Minion Bob!, drummerdimitri and Brasso
I think the Golf has it available, and my old car (Nissan Juke) had it. I miss it, I also can't understand why Audi didn't go for it. The hardware supports it.

I missed it when I changed from my Renaultsport Megane to my A6 but after a while got used to driving without it. While I agree it helps in speed limit areas. I find I actually take more notice of speed limits and signs now I don't have it.

I don't like it personally, I like to drive my own car and manage it myself hence I don't like all these assist functions, I've managed with out them for this long and nothing happened so why do I need to spend my hard earned on them now.

The only one I agree with is cruise and only in average speed zones. If I wanted a regulated ride I'd get on a bus :lazy:

Other opinions are available........