Speed limit in virtual cockpit?

samh1992

Reaction score
is there anyway to enable this to show in the virtual cockpit as it’s nice to see what the road speed is while viewing the sat nav through the virtual cockpit instead of having it on the main MMI screen.

I’m sure this can be done?

Mine just shows all the time, I don't know if that's because I have the traffic sign recognition system though?

is there anyway to enable this to show in the virtual cockpit as it’s nice to see what the road speed is while viewing the sat nav through the virtual cockpit instead of having it on the main MMI screen.

It would be part of the traffic sign recognition feature which can be enabled on UK Audi’s thanks to the pedestrian detection being standard which places a camera on the windscreen. Details in thread below:

Traffic Sign Recognition Coded!
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/Traffic-Sign-Recognition-Coded!.354294/&share_type=t

I recently bought the Kufatec traffic sign recognition dongle (direct from Kufatec.de) for £150 to enable speed limit display on the dashboard and it worked without any issues - takes about 30 seconds. I was led to believe the Kufatec dongles are locked onto the first vehicle they are used on, however unlike the Kufatec stop/start deactivation dongle, the traffic sign recognition dongle doesn't have my car's VIN number linked to it. So it may be possible to use it on multiple cars. If you want, I can post this to you and if it works, you can pay me a fair price, say £30?

I would be interested in trying this if the OP doesn't want to.

On the same lines, anyone up north, close to Manchester, or Huddersfield if possible with a dongle that would let me try? I'll pay you for your time

Reactions: psychopomp1
I would be interested in trying this if the OP doesn't want to.

On the same lines, anyone up north, close to Manchester, or Huddersfield if possible with a dongle that would let me try? I'll pay you for your time
No worries, I’ll let you know :)

I recently bought the Kufatec traffic sign recognition dongle (direct from Kufatec.de) for £150 to enable speed limit display on the dashboard and it worked without any issues - takes about 30 seconds. I was led to believe the Kufatec dongles are locked onto the first vehicle they are used on, however unlike the Kufatec stop/start deactivation dongle, the traffic sign recognition dongle doesn't have my car's VIN number linked to it. So it may be possible to use it on multiple cars. If you want, I can post this to you and if it works, you can pay me a fair price, say £30?

Very kind offer, where are you based?

I’ll let someone else use it first as I’m going to busy and away within the next few weeks.

Very kind offer, where are you based?

I’ll let someone else use it first as I’m going to busy and away within the next few weeks.
I'm based up in Inverness. No worries, I'll offer it to others in the meantime and update this thread accordingly if it works on others cars.

@gregpot2000
have sent you a pm

Reactions: samh1992
I'm based up in Inverness. No worries, I'll offer it to others in the meantime and update this thread accordingly if it works on others cars.

@gregpot2000
have sent you a pm

Top man,

Still seems bizzare such a small thing isn’t standard but then again it is Audi, everything is extra.

At least he doesn’t spend a bomb on an S4 and then moans about the cost of a £160 dongle
What I’ve paid for an s4 is a little bit irrelevant to do with this post.

I may be able to afford an s4 but can also tell the difference between something being a bargain and a rip off, £160 to move the road speed to the dash is mental.

Lucky enough there’s some helpful users and not all negative :icon thumright:

I thought it was more than just moving the speed limit visual to the dash. The speed recognition system is actually reading the current speed limit off of the signs on the road instead of what's programmed into the sat nav. So revised speed limits in roadworks would for instance be correctly displayed

Reactions: Happy Grumpz and psychopomp1
I thought it was more than just moving the speed limit visual to the dash. The speed recognition system is actually reading the current speed limit off of the signs on the road instead of what's programmed into the sat nav. So revised speed limits in roadworks would for instance be correctly displayed
Correct, the speed recognition system (speed limit displayed in dash) is determined by the car's own built-in camera (also used for pre-sense) picking up the displayed speed limit signs on the road. For me it was ~ £150 well spent on the dongle as it decreases the risk of getting flashed by speed cameras, but I understand that not everyone will see it as value for money - hence my offer of loaning the dongle out to see if it works on others' cars.

On the whole the system works quite well, but a couple of minor things I've noticed:

1) When driving on the A9, the camera will sometimes pick up the speed limit for the HGVs @ 50 Mph and display that in the dashboard instead.

2) I'm really nitpicking here, but the speedlimit logo/font appears to be for the European roads rather than UK roads.

What would be really useful is if the system gave you the option of an audio alarm (just a simple ping) whenever the displayed speed limit changed. Or perhaps a vibration on the steering wheel to wake you up! lol

Because you’ve paid full whack from Audi? :tearsofjoy:
Nothing to do with Audi, it's the company that provides the dongle that's being ripped off and sharing it is probably a breach of contract anyway. But hey some are comfortable with accusing others of ripping them off then do the exact same. Two wrongs making a right?
Thing is I hope it doesn't work because then this company will stay in business because they are able to make money. Kufatec provide a good source of aftermarket upgrades and without them we would have to pay more and it would be a shame to lose them.
But hey, its down to individual choices if some feel it is legitimate and 'honourable' then that is their decision. Others might see it as theft...

Is this feature part of a package, it doesn't seem to be available as an option?

But how is it different from people saying can someone do my vcds mods for beer tokens?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But how is it different from people saying can someone do my vcds mods for beer tokens?

Some people are law abiding citizens who don’t do no wrong apparently.

Reactions: tickedon
Just to update others, my Kufatec dongle did not work on another car, so it was locked after all. Anyway no real harm done, other than a few quid in postage costs.

For those wishing to buy the dongle themselves, I strongly recommend you buy the dongle direct from Kufatec in Germany (kufatec.de) rather than Kufatec's reseller in UK (kufatec.co.uk, aka Richter sport) d/t the following:

1) Cheaper by £10-£15 even after including delivery costs

2) Faster delivery from Germany (if FedEx chosen) otherwise Richter Sport will order the dongle from Germany and they only get deliveries once a week from Germany.

3) Better support through kufatec.de (they speak fluent English), Richter are just resellers so they will just act as middlemen and just pass messages on from Kufatec, as I am finding out having had TWO non-working start/stop dongles delivered from Richter Sport.

Reactions: SwordfishCoupe and cuke2u
It was me who tried, and can confirm it didn't work.

I just wish I had seen this post earlier! I ordered my own off the UK site, had to pay via bank transfer which I thought was weird, but though oh well if it's in the UK it will be quicker. I just rang to check they had my payment, and the guy said hmm yeah we need to order that in from Germany! So I'm thinking...and said to him, well I may just do that directly myself! 4 day wait for a refund so just left it though.
Does seem pointless, I place an order on them, they just place an order on the German site, wait for it to arrive, and post it to me. May as well just order direct from Germany myself!

Richter Sport get their weekly deliveries from Kufatec Germany every Friday so your dongle *should* be with them tomorrow and if it is, they'll post it out to you the same day via DPD. Just be aware the traffic sign recognition dongle does not come with any instructions, but I used the following instructions (kindly posted by Happy Grumpz) and they did the trick!

1. Turn on the ignition but don’t start the car.
2. Turn off start/stop
3. Turn off the MMI
4. Turn off the heating/AC
5. Wait a minute after all of that then plug in the dongle

You’ll see flashing red and green lights, you’ll get error messages on you VC then after a few minutes the green LED on the dongle will stay on with no red.

6. Turn the car off.
7. Unplug the dongle

That’s it.

Good Luck!
PS
Try not to have a heart attack when you see loads of warnings on your dashboard during the coding process...I nearly did!! lol

Last edited:
Thanks...only did it today so will probably be next week then. Seems strange a restocker doesn't keep stock. Makes it kinda pointless having them as a middleman!

Reactions: Jsmills
Thanks...only did it today so will probably be next week then. Seems strange a restocker doesn't keep stock. Makes it kinda pointless having them as a middleman!

Did you get the Kufatec dongle delivered in the end and successfully coded the Traffic Sign Recognition feature?