Speed Cameras on holiday

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi all...

Have just come back from a very nice week in Yorkshire...stayed near Pickering......visited numerous places, Whitby, Malton, Scarborough, etc , and I did not see a single Gatso camera all week ! Did not even see any signs indicating cameras were around...

So, I can honestly say it was a real pleasure driving around Yorkshire !!!! We did not speed (wife and 2 year old in tow).....now back in Lancashire where the speed cameras are used as a way of making money by the knobends at :

http://www.saferlancashire.co.uk/initiatives/roadsafety/

.....and there are simply hundred dotted around Lancashire :-(

Shame I cannnot move to Yorkshire eh !

Try County Durham - it's the only county in England that doesn't have a single speed camera - the chief constable doesn't believe in them.

There isnt a single one up here.

We do have a Police force obsessed with policing the roads though. Apparently its to try and improve road safety but they are failing miserably.

Win some you lose some I guess.

On the roads around the places you visited they tend to use more undercover cars\bikes then cameras.. Which I guess is nice. (Unless you speed of course)

I have seen countless makes\models of cars pulling people over.

Including a beaten up old escourt which had obviously been modded.

Although, when I went to the Japshow at Lincoln show ground, I lost count of the number of camera's we passed. So I know what you mean.

I think SPECS are worse, as noone else seems to care about them and you always end up getting pushed out of the way!

Cumbria only has half a dozen fixed scameras, but employs a number of ******* to man the 4 safety scamera vans it has.

Went on one of those speed awareness schemes and they told me that the revenue they make from the camera's pays for the up-keep and installation of new ones and everyone sighed haha. Also that there must have been a fatality or something at that specific spot. I'm sitting on my fence :)

Hi all...

Have just come back from a very nice week in Yorkshire...stayed near Pickering......visited numerous places, Whitby, Malton, Scarborough, etc , and I did not see a single Gatso camera all week ! Did not even see any signs indicating cameras were around...

So, I can honestly say it was a real pleasure driving around Yorkshire !!!! We did not speed (wife and 2 year old in tow).....now back in Lancashire where the speed cameras are used as a way of making money by the knobends at :

http://www.saferlancashire.co.uk/initiatives/roadsafety/

.....and there are simply hundred dotted around Lancashire :-(

Shame I cannnot move to Yorkshire eh !

Where did you stay?

Went on one of those speed awareness schemes and they told me that the revenue they make from the camera's pays for the up-keep and installation of new ones and everyone sighed haha. Also that there must have been a fatality or something at that specific spot. I'm sitting on my fence :)

What was the cost of the speed awareness crap as I am going on one rather than taking the 3 points ?

Can't be bad I was expecting to pay a couple of hundred pounds.:)

The speed awareness course in Lancashire is £90.....

Oh really? Down here you just pay the £60 part which is the fine anyway, and the course is 'free' - I assumed that was nationwide - apologies :sorry:

I don't care how those guys at Lancashire Safety Partnership cut it.....they are milking the motorist for sure !

I would still pay the £90 to do the course now, simply to make filling out the next insurance quotation in the future a bit easier (no dates and SP30 to remember)

I've been going to near Scarborough once a year for some time now. Some really good roads to drive on and nice scenery. Nice to not have to watch your speedo.

I'm all for more traffic police and less cameras. A camera cant make a judgement as to whether the speed you are driving at is appropriate for the weather/traffic conditions. Only a few weeks ago when I was on my way to Manchester Airport at about 4 in the morning and running late I passed a police car sat on the hard shoulder as I was doing 100+. No other traffic about, road was dry and visibility was good. He didn't bother to come after me. A camera would of taken my picture and I'd of got the court summons through by now regardless of the time, weather and road conditions!

It cost me £70, so an extra tenner for 3 less points. No-brainer really and it was actually quite educational.

Try County Durham - it's the only county in England that doesn't have a single speed camera - the chief constable doesn't believe in them.

its great :D

there is the odd mobile one thought :)