Speed Camera POI

It certainly is. @DJAlix not only did this for me yesterday, but enabled a number of other "features" with his bag of tricks (VCDS etc), the most exciting being the full colour map in the central console (I don't have VC). Turns out Audi do a Basic, Mid and High (Tech Pack) MMI unit. I have the Mid it seems so this was possible. Very very chuffed. No more messing about for me with OBDEleven as @DJAlix has done it all.
Will upload pics of the speed camera later, but suffice to say it works, and provides sound and alert on the screen. Seems the "Mid" MMI unit has some storage built into it for things like special destinations etc. Traffic sign recognition will come soon, once he has worked out what version I have, is is is a new version

Dash1
Dash2

Reactions: gringosteve and jungle650
Is there a way to download the Paid Speed Cam files as POI? I used to use the .csv files on the MyAudi site but they have now removed that option.

Is there a way to download the Paid Speed Cam files as POI? I used to use the .csv files on the MyAudi site but they have now removed that option.

These tests proved beneficial I have now got the @mcaddy app working again for anyone in the UK that has SD navigation, Please see images at the end of this post. As mentioned above, when downloading this app, unzip the file and run the executable.

When the app loads enter your username and password for your www.pocketgpsworld.com account select what cameras you wish to appear on your MMI, make sure that your select the correct drive letter of your attached SD card and click "Get Cameras" this will start the download and creation of the database files.

Once the download has complete safely remove your SD card, plug it into your MMI unit within your glove compartment and Navigate to Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update -> Select Your Update Media (SD Card 1 or 2) -> Start Update. Once Start update has been selected the update process is described by the pictured attached to this post.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1LuCq1_KCC-6HDq-lhqT4XVAv4bttS6Ro&export=download

Use the link above and it will download just the POI to a connected SD card to your computer. :)

Can this be done on a PFL S3 with no VC?
It certainly is. @DJAlix not only did this for me yesterday, but enabled a number of other "features" with his bag of tricks (VCDS etc), the most exciting being the full colour map in the central console (I don't have VC). Turns out Audi do a Basic, Mid and High (Tech Pack) MMI unit. I have the Mid it seems so this was possible. Very very chuffed. No more messing about for me with OBDEleven as @DJAlix has done it all.
Will upload pics of the speed camera later, but suffice to say it works, and provides sound and alert on the screen. Seems the "Mid" MMI unit has some storage built into it for things like special destinations etc. Traffic sign recognition will come soon, once he has worked out what version I have, is is is a new version

View attachment 162281 View attachment 162282

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Actually it doesn't work for the new 2017 Q5 with the new MMI. I am only seeing the Audi A3 8VS option...

Last edited:
Actually it doesn't work for the new 2017 Q5 with the new MMI. I am only seeing the Audi A3 8VS option...

@q5man Can you help with this ? I have no idea as i only own "A3" range vehicles.

I have a Q3 FL with MMI 3g+.
Will i be able to add speed camera POI ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks

This is what I have with the Virtual Cockpit. I have tried and so far no luck.

This is what I have with the Virtual Cockpit. I have tried and so far no luck.

Thanks

When editing the code for the program, it only creates a folder with POI items, it doesn't specify any model or anything its only a facade if you will for the GUI. You can always clear the "Special Locations" from the MMI setup menu if anything goes wrong. However please proceed at your own risk as I have no access to any "Q" models. It would possibly be a good idea to wait till @DJAlix or @q5man respond as they will have more experience on this topic than me.

@q5man Can you help with this ? I have no idea as i only own "A3" range vehicles.
not specifically chaps, as @DJAlix did the Safety Camera updates for me, but he did say that my 2018 "FY" Q5 was the 1st he has seen with the MID MMI system. Apparently they usually some with LOW=SD Nav and HIGH=Tech Pack+Hard drive SatNav. seems the MID contains some storage in it to allow Cameras, special destinations etc

Reactions: AWP
When editing the code for the program, it only creates a folder with POI items, it doesn't specify any model or anything its only a facade if you will for the GUI. You can always clear the "Special Locations" from the MMI setup menu if anything goes wrong. However please proceed at your own risk as I have no access to any "Q" models. It would possibly be a good idea to wait till @DJAlix or @q5man respond as they will have more experience on this topic than me.
I am pretty sure @DJAlix would be able to get working, he knows his stuff big time, and enabled all sorts of stuff, for a very small fee.

Reactions: AWP
I am pretty sure @DJAlix would be able to get working, he knows his stuff big time, and enabled all sorts of stuff, for a very small fee.

@q5man Thanks for your input and knowledge, I was not sure on any model past the A3, S3 AND RS3's that i have tried this on.

@q5man Thanks for your input and knowledge, I was not sure on any model past the A3, S3 AND RS3's that i have tried this on.
can't see why it wouldn't work on Q's, and definitely works of A4's etc too

This is what I am seeing... something is not working right with the Q5

The update data is not compatible or are outdated.
P7JQLs9

Last edited:
As said earlier in the thread, I HAVE NOT used the process mentioned in this thread. @DJAlix did the Speed Camera update for me.
I would PM if I was you, as I am sure he could help.

Thanks

Unfortunately this type of update only works on MIB1 and MIB2 systems, also known as MMI4G.

Reactions: NevMan and AWP
How do you tell which MMi system a car is fitted with?

I have managed to get it work on my Q5. Just get POIbase and pay €4.99 to allow more PIO Categories. Then download from PocketGPSWorld in CSV format. You should make sure you have some icons in 22 and 44 pixels in .PNG. Then just write the files to an SD card and install it into your Q5.

Reactions: NevMan
These tests proved beneficial I have now got the @mcaddy app working again for anyone in the UK that has SD navigation, Please see images at the end of this post. As mentioned above, when downloading this app, unzip the file and run the executable.

When the app loads enter your username and password for your www.pocketgpsworld.com account select what cameras you wish to appear on your MMI, make sure that your select the correct drive letter of your attached SD card and click "Get Cameras" this will start the download and creation of the database files.

Once the download has complete safely remove your SD card, plug it into your MMI unit within your glove compartment and Navigate to Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update -> Select Your Update Media (SD Card 1 or 2) -> Start Update. Once Start update has been selected the update process is described by the pictured attached to this post.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1LuCq1_KCC-6HDq-lhqT4XVAv4bttS6Ro&export=download

How did you change the download link in the app??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried using the Mcaddy method and got the message saying the update is out of date and tried copying the csv and png files to the SD card from PocketGPS and the car won’t detect the SD card! Ahhhhhhh any help??

I can confirm that you CAN have your custom POI installed with sd-nav. I have them. Here is a quick guide for you all:

This is a basic guide that will work with any type of POI...

1. Get a SD-card
2. Download and install POIbase-application into your pc, select AUDI navigation
https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/
3. In the poibase-app Upload/Add your own custom POI gategory with a garmin/whatever -POI -file and add a POI-symbol you want to use with it
4. Export it to your SD-card
5. Plug the card into your car and select update from the MMI
6. Update will start and after that you can select your own Audi poi from the nav-menu to show on the screen.
7. Have a beer or cup of tea and congratulate yourself - job well done!

Tried this and got the data is the wrong file type or out of date

Reactions: quattrorally
Once the sat nav is updated with speed camera POIs, will it still be possible to delete it? I installed mine in my previous car (Golf) and the warning chime is always there even if I deselect the Speed Camera POI in the settings. It gets annoying sometimes. Is it the same in the A4? Or can I disable the warning chime?

Is the POI loader on myAudi / Audi Connect down for anyone else, the option seems to have disappeared completely for me.

It just shows the option to download the latest maps, not upload anything anymore?

Is the POI loader on myAudi / Audi Connect down for anyone else, the option seems to have disappeared completely for me.

It just shows the option to download the latest maps, not upload anything anymore?
Yup, same here when I went on last week. Whole website is ******** really..

Reactions: Bells
Yup, same here when I went on last week. Whole website is ******** really..
Yeah I got a message when I logged on to say it had been re-designed. I know the old one was a little buggy but this is even worse.

The new layout is terrible, I’m all for new things but when they launch a new system that’s got less features working than the old one you wonder why they didn’t wait a bit longer :whistle2:

Perhaps this is the same system that no longer allows me to transfer a location from Google maps on my PC to the car. Worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Perhaps this is the same system that no longer allows me to transfer a location from Google maps on my PC to the car. Worked fine until a few weeks ago.
May be, just spoke to Audi UK Customer Services and they said the website is very limited at the moment with only basic functionality, there’s no ETA on when POI’s etc will be able to be sent to the car again and just said to check back in a few weeks, how helpful :blink:

I wondered if these issues were related as yeah I couldn't do this either when I tried 2 weeks ago?

Can we get money back from Audi as the car can't do half of what they said it could :p

It does seem to be a bit frustrating, have just been into my local dealer and they where very polite but clueless, 3 months out of warranty and all they can suggest is a £60 initial inspection, I declined as they failed to offer any meaningful resolution to the faults reported during the warranty period so why would it be any different now.

Copied from my other thread.. If it is all a load of b*lls, please ignore!
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/myaudi-special-destinations-poi.288924/page-9#post-3326467
Just joined this forum because I saw this thread about importing POI's into the Audi MMI interface using the SD card reader and would like to help. I am on other Audi Forums, so you will find this information posted on many others.

I have recently purchased a 2017 (67 plate) Audi Q5 S line 2.0 litre TFSI , and have not tried importation of any POIs into it, because I use a Cheetah C550 speed camera unit. In fact we have 2 (one in the Q5 and one in my wife's Suzuki) and they are both hard wired into the cars. They are so configurable it is unbelievable. See...

https://speedcheetah.com/

https://speedcheetah.com/shop/c550/c550/

https://speedcheetah.com/support/

Anyway, I digress, I did not come here to advertise what I think is a great piece of kit, but, I thought you all might wish to know that there are many many POIs including Safety Cameras for many countries at the site I have linked below called GPS Data Team, and they are all FREE to signed up members. There are the tools available FREE to convert to different formats for importation into sat navs and I THINK every vehicle known to man.

I was on pocketgpsworld, but found their site not to my liking (I am being diplomatic when I say that) and looked around for a similar Safety Camera database that I did not have to pay for, (see notes below) and could import into my wife's GarminSat Nav. I did use it for a couple of years, but have not used the facility for a while, because as stated above we have a Cheetah in each vehicle.

The name of the site is the GPS Data Team. The useful links are below:

Home:
https://www.gps-data-team.com/

Editor:
https://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php

Brands:
https://www.gps-data-team.com/gps-poi.php

Forums:
https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/index.php
https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/viewforum.php?f=1

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Notes.
1. I think you may now have to pay a once of fee (I think it was £10) to have access to a consolidated Safety camera file. This may have changed.
2. It is not a particularly active forum, so do not expect a speedy response to questions.
3. Anyway, as I stated above, I think there might be a complete solution to the need to import safety cameras into the MMI, but I have not tried it. If you are able to find the tools on the site and are successful, please post to this effect. If not also please advise.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was to import a speed camera database in to my 2017 A3 SD card navigation can it be set-up to 'beep' when you are approaching a camera. At the moment I use a quite old TomTom unit attached to the screen and this can be easily updated from the PGPSW website and be set to 'beep' when approaching a camera. Anything less than that would not be a lot of use to me.

May be, just spoke to Audi UK Customer Services and they said the website is very limited at the moment with only basic functionality, there’s no ETA on when POI’s etc will be able to be sent to the car again and just said to check back in a few weeks, how helpful :blink:
I have spoken to Audi Customer Services 3 times in the past few weeks. Here is one of the replies:

Dear Mr Boggs

Thank you for your email in relation to the myAudi Portal.

The only way to send the destination to the car from google Maps to the vehicle is to link your google account to the myAudi Portal. This is a facility that has not transferred over to the new website. I have emailed our Administration Team who work the myAudi portal to see if they have an estimation of when this facility will come back onto the portal.

I have posed the question before and it seems this is the only way to send destinations to the vehicle. As there is no facility to link the google account to the myAudi portal at the moment, then this isn’t something that can be done. Once I have a response, I will email you and advise if there is any further information available.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind regards

Customer Relations Advisor

View attachment 162281 View attachment 162282

Sorry to be a bit off topic but the navy on the dash interests me - have tech pack plus - how do I enable this please - VCDS instructions fine

Thanks

John