Speed Camera POI

I have a 2014 Q5 with no Audi Connect but a 3G+ Sat Nav unit.
MyAudi portal doesn't have a 'Special Destinations' option available so I have no way of adding POI's to prep files for an SD card.
Any chance of someone sending me the contents of a 1 or 2 POI SD Card so I can hand build something to import into my MMI?

Many thanks in advance.

Tried @mcaddy app last night. Looks really useful but unfortunately on my B8.5 Audi S4 (tech pack high with HDD Sat Nav), it tells me "The crc of the release info is not correct" and doesnt work. Any ideas? Do I need to update my MMI firmware first, or is there a problem with the checksum that the app generated?

Did you ever resolve this? I've tried generating the files with both the VW Sammlung site and the Mcaddy app but get the CRC error with both.

I have a MY14 3G+ MMI with no SIM slot and no Audi Connect.

Any help much appreciated.

Has anyone noticed that the speed camera locations (using PocketGPSWorld database) are "out" by approx 50-100 meters or so?
Just wondering if its the accurary of the data relating to just cameras in my area, accuracy of the data in general, or whether the GPS is "out".

Cheers

AL

Has anyone noticed that the speed camera locations (using PocketGPSWorld database) are "out" by approx 50-100 meters or so?
Just wondering if its the accurary of the data relating to just cameras in my area, accuracy of the data in general, or whether the GPS is "out".

Cheers

AL
Can't say I have had any issues, they seem accurate within 5m or so.

Has anyone else had problems after editing the categories.pc file to change the max zoom level from 9 to 30? As soon as I do that it won't load in the car saying 'The update was interrupted'. I've tried a couple of different editors.

I did notice the file hashes.txt in the same directory contains the filesize and checksum of the categories.pc file and obviously I am changing both. My car is a July 2017 build S4.

Hi all,

Having read every post in the thread, I'm still struggling to determine whether or not this update will work on the factory unit installed in my 2016 S3 (PFL) that I purchased earlier this month.

When attempting to access MyAudi > Audi Connect - The page loads blank (I've input all my vehicle details correctly and it is added to My Vehicles), I guess my car isn't equipped...? This rules out one way of performing the update.

I decided to contact my local Audi dealership who were able to provide me with the "build sheet" for my car and it looks like it was spec'd with the basic Nav package (I've chopped 3 pages of non-related data off, please see below);

Screen_Shot_2017_12_29_at_17_07_24.png

Screen_Shot_2017_12_29_at_17_06_01.png

My next problem is that the automated app that was created by a fellow forum member will not run on my MacBook, ruling out the second method suggested.

Does anyone have advice on performing this update to the equipment fitted to my car or have carried it out on a similar specification?

Cheers,

Greg.

I ve got a pre face lift S3, with Audi connect if anybody can send me the files with the speed camera database on with all the zoom levels adjusted, and some instal instructions

I d really appreciate it, will happily pay for peoples time etc.

Sorry but the files from the speed camera database company are not for sharing. Even if someone is willing to send them to you the company has, I believe, a way of tracing them and the originator will be banned. It’s only £20 for a whole year so hardly a lot of money!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Got no problem paying the £20 but not sure how to do the zoom thing, can prob work out how to instal them from this thread, but worried I d muck it up.

@Geoffcapes
When you download the poi files from pocketgpsworld they are xml/csv format, which you then upload to the Audi connect website.

Then you click "download" or something on the website and it will download a .jlpn file which you will open. This is a java app which will create a folder on your PC with the files needed for the car. Within these files is one called categories.pc if you open that one up in notepad you will see the max zoom levels for each poi, change them to 30. It's obvious what you need to change.
Save the file and then copy all files and folders to a USB stick / sd card to put in the car and then run a software update and then you should see them in nav.

Once you get the files its pretty straight forward and if stuck, ask :) I don't think there's too much that can go wrong with it anyway.

There are some nice camera icons, I think in this thread so you can see the difference between red light cameras, gatso, specs, "mobile cameras" etc. You upload these to the Audi Connect site when you upload the files from pocketgpsworld.

Due to get my facelift A3 on the 19th and will be adding the cameras right away.

I read through every post on the thread and noticed 1 or 2 have instructions for the notifications.

Would you mind sharing the steps to get notifications for the approaching the cameras? Couldn’t see any definitive instructions.

Due to get my facelift A3 on the 19th and will be adding the cameras right away.

I read through every post on the thread and noticed 1 or 2 have instructions for the notifications.

Would you mind sharing the steps to get notifications for the approaching the cameras? Couldn’t see any definitive instructions.
Don't think anybody figured out a way to do it.

@DJAlix
Details lol?

Something you're going to be "selling", car requirements etc..?
More information coming soon but this will be a chargeable modification as I have invested significant time in development, testing and tooling.

Edit: only tested on FL 2017+ vehicles so far.

Reactions: oli356
More information coming soon but this will be a chargeable modification as I have invested significant time in development, testing and tooling.

Edit: only tested on FL 2017+ vehicles so far.
Would be very interested if could be done for 2016 PFL if technically possible :)

Good job anyway.

@DJAlix Let me know if struggling to source a Guinea Pig car, only down in Reading so not too far if it helps - depending on how long testing would take etc.

Reactions: DJAlix
Nice.

How does this differ from just uploading POI and setting up arrival notifications? Looks very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I must admit that I have not actually tested the arrival notifications option on its own as yet, I just dove straight in with my customised solution but need to compare both.

There are two parts to this features testing:

1) residential speeds
2) motorway speeds

My solution works very well but I have to compare it to the arrival notification as I don’t want to rip anyone off. I tested residential speeds via the arrival notification today but still need to test this at motorway speeds. Will try to test tonight.

Reactions: AL_B and gringosteve
When I tried arrival notifications on the motorway it appears to give you more warning than on residential roads.

My main issue with arrival notifications is that it provides that warning even if you are not on the same road as the camera. Which is really annoying on the motorway when it alerts you to cameras on side roads etc.

If your approach solves that then you are on to a winner! Especially if you can get the message on the DIS rather than just the MMI

When I tried arrival notifications on the motorway it appears to give you more warning than on residential roads.

My main issue with arrival notifications is that it provides that warning even if you are not on the same road as the camera. Which is really annoying on the motorway when it alerts you to cameras on side roads etc.

If your approach solves that then you are on to a winner! Especially if you can get the message on the DIS rather than just the MMI

DIS and Virtual Cockpit warning are impossible on the A3 and Q2 platforms with major works and without some loss of other functionality... basiclly you have to tell the car it’s a TT mk3.

Depending on the database used notifications are directional.

Reactions: gringosteve
I don’t want my car to be confused about it’s personality :) sounds interesting! Let me know if you need to test anything out

I wondered about this too, as I would think it could be a bit annoying when there are cameras on the motorway - especially if it would alert you for both sides.

Personally, I'd rather just have an audio alert etc for none-motorway cameras. Like cameras on the M25 apparently aren't on all of the time and will go through them at say 75mph without worry. Other times there are temporary SPECS for roadworks on the motorways but going the speed limit anyway. etc etc...

All preference though - so would there be a way to specify which POIs get triggered?

I don't have "arrival notifications" in my car so not sure how that works.

Advance warning beep (multi tone so not technically a beep) works on the Golf (and isn’t triggered by cams on the other side of the road) but only works if uploading to a German VW site and ticking the box for notifications - wonder if this would work on an A/S3 ?

This process of POI is very similar but I guess it’ll come down to the hardware.

I must admit that I have not actually tested the arrival notifications option on its own as yet, I just dove straight in with my customised solution but need to compare both.

There are two parts to this features testing:

1) residential speeds
2) motorway speeds

My solution works very well but I have to compare it to the arrival notification as I don’t want to rip anyone off. I tested residential speeds via the arrival notification today but still need to test this at motorway speeds. Will try to test tonight.
Ok, so it would seem that I jumped the gun a bit on this modification. Knowing what I know about the MMI system and settings which the average person cannot access I updated my poi database and then made some hidden changes which I thought would actually tweak the system. It would seem however that these hidden changes did not affect anything at all and the arrival notification is actually working, and adaptive based on speed, "out of the box". So for residential streets and A roads the notification counts from around 90 yards. Motorway speeds the count is from 900 yards.

Reactions: AL_B, gringosteve and T-800
Advance warning beep (multi tone so not technically a beep) works on the Golf (and isn’t triggered by cams on the other side of the road) but only works if uploading to a German VW site and ticking the box for notifications - wonder if this would work on an A/S3 ?

This process of POI is very similar but I guess it’ll come down to the hardware.

I had it on the Facelift Golf R Rob as you know.

It was a file bought off eBay then uploaded to the car.

The notification noise was too subtle and it gave no pop up notice.

The Audi one I’ve been using does give pop up in the mmi and a more audible / nicer chime.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Ok, so it would seem that I jumped the gun a bit on this modification. Knowing what I know about the MMI system and settings which the average person cannot access I updated my poi database and then made some hidden changes which I thought would actually tweak the system. It would seem however that these hidden changes did not affect anything at all and the arrival notification is actually working, and adaptive based on speed, "out of the box". So for residential streets and A roads the notification counts from around 90 yards. Motorway speeds the count is from 900 yards.

Interesting. Do you have the details of the POI source you use that is directional. I use pocketgpsworld and it doesn’t seem to be directional.

Interesting. Do you have the details of the POI source you use that is directional. I use pocketgpsworld and it doesn’t seem to be directional.

I am testing with the Pocketgps but I believe the thinkware and inforad are directional. Will test with them when I get the chance

Reactions: allanmb and gringosteve
While updating my camera's I am still wondering and looking for a way to get my satnav to prompt a nearby camera. Has anyone already found a good solution for this? Does the warning field in poidata.db do anything? (we can always rehash and fake the MMi into accepting it) Would still love it if they showed up (just like a petrol station if nav is active)

Has anyone else had problems after editing the categories.pc file to change the max zoom level from 9 to 30? As soon as I do that it won't load in the car saying 'The update was interrupted'. I've tried a couple of different editors.

I did notice the file hashes.txt in the same directory contains the filesize and checksum of the categories.pc file and obviously I am changing both. My car is a July 2017 build S4.
I've just added speed cameras to my new A3 and come up against the exact same issue. If I use the files before editing the zoom level they load fine, but after editing to 30 I get the same message as you. Did you ever find a solution to this? I've tried notepad and notepad++ so far without success.

Reactions: jungle650
@RichardMMM is right, it is the checksum data in the hashes.txt file that is causing the problem. It can be adjusted though and then it works.

I found a program called hashtab by implbits.com that gives you the checksum data you need. The type of checksum used is SHA-1. So you need to edit the hashes.txt file entries for the categories.pc file and change the size and checksum given by hashtab for the new edited categories.pc file with the new zoom 30 values. It's all a bit of a pain, but I've just tried it and it does now load OK.

Reactions: TonkS3, AL_B and gringosteve
Thanks GeoffT. That’s good info.
I was just about to update my car, but thought I’d check this thread first.

We definitely need an app now to update this categories.pc file and do the checksums. It’s all getting a bit fiddly.

Someone had written an app that logged on to your pocketgps account, got the camera data and automatically created the files for your SD card. I don't know if it updated the categories.pc file because whenever I tried it, it couldn't connect to pocketgps and came up with an error. It doesn't seem to have been updated for a while so I'm guessing the author isn't maintaining it anymore.

Reactions: AL_B
When I was writing my C# Library to generate POI files for my Audi and I was surprised to see that the Checksums are not checked. Some might be but all the ones that I 'broke' didn't result in a rejection. Given that the Checksums where trivial to calculate I've done them but it seems they are not required.

If your interested, I've checked my code into GitHub (https://github.com/mcaddy/audipoi) I use it to create POI DBs and the associated Meta data without the need to use the Audi website, currently using this to build a POI file with 8 distinct types, all loaded from a single GPX file.

Just reading this again. Mcaddy spotted when he was developing this that the checksums were not checked by Audi, but coded the correction anyway. I've never tried his app, but may give it a go.

AL

Just reading this again. Mcaddy spotted when he was developing this that the checksums were not checked by Audi, but coded the correction anyway. I've never tried his app, but may give it a go.

AL
That's the one. I couldn't remember it of the top of my head but that's the app I tried. I'd be interested if you get the same error I did when connecting to my pocketgps account.