Speed Camera POI

Tried @mcaddy app last night. Looks really useful but unfortunately on my B8.5 Audi S4 (tech pack high with HDD Sat Nav), it tells me "The crc of the release info is not correct" and doesnt work. Any ideas? Do I need to update my MMI firmware first, or is there a problem with the checksum that the app generated?

If you can send me a copy of the files on a SD card created by the genuine website then I can probably reverse engineer the CRCs so we can also support your car.

If you prep some POIs on the website, copy to a SD card, zip them up and forward the resultant file to me via private message, we can see.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and azibux1
Would anyone happen to heave the files they could send me for a 2016 S3, I'm not too familiar with the MMI system i have so apologies for this as I'm still getting used to the car.

I am trying to sort this out and have downloaded the pocket world items but can sombody tell me what i do in the audi special destination bit as i`m not sure what to click on to get the folder into the add p.o.i. ?? do i put the whole file in or bits of it, sorry not use to doing this sort of thing so if possible to put in lamens turns that would be great thanks again!!

You're doing better than me mate, I struggle to understand it never mind get as far as you have so dont knock yourself. I'm avidly watching this thread.:chuncky:

Thats reassuring to know! as i read other peoples post`s and how they done it and i thought iwas being very stupid??

Seriously mate, at least you had the gumption to try it....I got confused just reading the thread, keep it up, I for one will be hugely grateful to get this on my car.

I am trying to sort this out and have downloaded the pocket world items but can sombody tell me what i do in the audi special destination bit as i`m not sure what to click on to get the folder into the add p.o.i. ?? do i put the whole file in or bits of it, sorry not use to doing this sort of thing so if possible to put in lamens turns that would be great thanks again!!

You need to upload each .csv file (separate one for each camera type) to your special destinations like this :-

IMG 1644

It's basically getting gps co-ords for each camera type from the excel .csv file. Think I used the icons from earlier in this thread.

Next step hit download from a bit further down on the page and I think from memory it downloads a zip file. Unzip this somewhere then go to post #1 & #8 as you need to edit the file categories.pc so that the zoom level is set to max=30 so that the icons are displayed correctly on the MMI card then copy the files to SD card.

Reactions: AL_B and glospete
Hi Rob2k68, i am struggling with the upload each file bit, sorry crap on this sort of thing! how do i upload it please

Hi Rob2k68, i am struggling with the upload each file bit, sorry **** on this sort of thing! how do i upload it please

In my screenshot above to the top right there is + in a black circle saying + Add personal POI, that is actually a link - click on that text (not on my screen shot but in your my special destinations page).

Hi rob, got that thanks,where do i get the icons from? soz
where did u get the all file from and did u rename all the files?

Hi rob, got that thanks,where do i get the icons from? soz
where did u get the all file from and did u rename all the files?

Get the icons from post #68 of this thread - right click and save each one.

Get the icons from post #68 of this thread - right click and save each one.

Or you could download my app from http://mcaddy.github.io/audipoi/, it'll do all the work for you, no need to upload any files, no need to find icons. just insert sd card, run program, login to pocket gps world and you'll be done a few seconds later.

Reactions: S3LOK, jungle650, amit87 and 2 others
I'm a semi PC whiz but did not have "special destinations" in myaudi. Used Mcaddys tool and was so so easy.

Simple sign up to pocketworldgps (or whatever it is) and put in your login in Mcaddys software... plug in SD card and run! That is it!!! So so easy to use does the work for you!

Thanks again mcaddy

Or you could download my app from http://mcaddy.github.io/audipoi/, it'll do all the work for you, no need to upload any files, no need to find icons. just insert sd card, run program, login to pocket gps world and you'll be done a few seconds later.

Reactions: jungle650 and Rob2k68
Tried this but got an error when running mcaddy's software stating "Unable to find download link at PocketGPSworld.com, Please report error 100 to developer", any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Tried this but got an error when running mcaddy's software stating "Unable to find download link at PocketGPSworld.com, Please report error 100 to developer", any ideas guys?

Have just taken a look through the source code and I'm a little confused as to why you are getting this error.

I'm not able to replicate so can only guess there is an issue with your pocket GPS world account.

Can you go to the download page and send me a private message with a screen shot of the page?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has a brand new Octavia VRS (I forgave him because its still VAG). He does not have the Columbus infotainment unit which is equivalent to our MMI High I guess. He has the Amundsen unit which is equivalent to our MIB Standard (I guess).

I noticed trying to upload my speed camera data did not work but read around that our database file has file extension .db and these "lesser" units need a .db3 format.

It might be worth you guys with the MIB STD (LOW) units to try the following:

1) Visit this VW site to build POI (Also works if you don't have audi special destinations as it write formats for STD and HIGH in one download):

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

2) Use this image if you don't want to use google translate:
Capture1

3) Copy contents to a SD card (USB worked in his Skoda too). For MIB Std (Low) find "MIB2TSD" and copy contents of the folder onto SD card (should have "personalpoi" folder and "metainfo2" text file on SD Root.

4) Go to your car and see if it finds an "update" or POI Uploader or something. (On his it recognised it as software update and POI update).

5) go to your POI and turn it on.

If you don't have speed camera data or want to test it first, here is some free data (Download link below). (The National Trust). I have built it in STD format. Can anyone please confirm who have the MIB STD LOW unit please for others.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fbha5j0htwk7zb/The_National_trust.zip?dl=1

Just a mention that the "Arrival notification" works quite well with the POIs, to the point it get pretty close to a warning system...

You do get false alarms from POIs that are not actually on the road but just nearby.

I originally thought having turned the feature on I would have immediately turned it off after getting too many alerts, but not so far.

Reactions: AL_B and Rob2k68
Just a mention that the "Arrival notification" works quite well with the POIs, to the point it get pretty close to a warning system...

You do get false alarms from POIs that are not actually on the road but just nearby.

I originally thought having turned the feature on I would have immediately turned it off after getting too many alerts, but not so far.

I'm keen to try and get arrival notifications working for others (using the older MMI), any chance you can send me a copy of a POI database (contents of a SD card) so I can see if I can reverse engineer the relevant flag?

Reactions: jungle650 and Rob2k68
I'm using the same SD card data that I originally created for my A3 using your app and now loading into my A4? So assume you already have that type of data ? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

In my A4 the arrival notification is just a feature of the MMI nothing to do with the POI data (imho).

PS..Thanks for the app it saves a lot of time.

Ok, guess there is nothing for me to look at then. There are some fields in the db that look like they cold hold proximity info but I've not been able to get it to respond to anytHong I pit in them. Was hoping that your notifications where set on a per category basis using the audi site.

Was able to download to my Audi A4 B9 2.0 TDI 190 S line when going via Audi Connect and OTA update. Even got the icon to show up when Google Maps is active. However, there are a lot of cameras missing and I guess this is due to the database being incomplete as regards cameras in Sweden.

The problem with the OTA update is that the cameras only show up at a zoom level of 750 m (1/2 a mile) or less. Tried updating via SD card (using all the valuable information found in this thread) and altered the categories.pc file to have the zoom level set at its maximum. After some trial and (mostly) errors the SD card was finally accepted and the update process completed (according to the display) but the icons disappeared from the MMI/Combo settings (i.e. not possible to thick any boxes) and hence no display of any cameras. Any input on how I could change the zoom level when updating OTA and/or input in how to have the icons show up if I use the SD card as the source for updating is highly appreciated.

Regards

Hans

Update to my previous post.

SD upload "works" and the different icons show up on the map (both standard and Google) but they can't be checked/unchecked in the MMI/Combo settings. However, the zoom level doesn't change, i.e. the icons only show up if the zoom level of 750 m (1/2 mile) or less despite the zoom level in the categories.pc file been changed from "9" to "17" (which is believe should correspond to a zoom level of 5 km (3 miles)). There is a beep and a "alert" in the MMI when I'm (very) close to a speed camera even if the map is zoomed out and the icons doesn't display.

I understand that other users have had success in changing the zoom level and I'm totally lost as to why it doesn't work for me. Could it be a checksum problem? Anyone knows whether the A4 B9 model year 17 MMI POI system differs from that of the corresponding A3 system and if so is it possible (for a technically skilled person which I'm not) to go deeper into the systen and have the POI zoom level changed?

Regards

Hans

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether this works for a FL S3 (MY 2017) with Tech Pack advanced (i.e. Google Earth/Maps view)? I'm happy to re-subscribe to PocketGPSWorld, but I'd like to know that it's going to work first. My background is engineering and software, so playing around with datafiles isn't a problem.

Cheers
M

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether this works for a FL S3 (MY 2017) with Tech Pack advanced (i.e. Google Earth/Maps view)? I'm happy to re-subscribe to PocketGPSWorld, but I'd like to know that it's going to work first. My background is engineering and software, so playing around with datafiles isn't a problem.

Cheers
M
Do you have the car and access to the relevant bits on the myAudi site? If so, I am happy to send you a random part of the pocketgpsworld files (red light cameras) so you can test if it is going to work

Reactions: DrMal
I've got a login to MyAudi and the Individual Special Destinations option is there. It looks like I could download to an SD card or send direct to the car (which I wasn't expecting).

The car is outside in the garage, but it looks like it's started snowing so if you're able to send a fragment azibux, I'll give it a try tomorrow evening. I've not yet worked out whether it's possible to send an attachment to another user on the forum, but if that's not possible, I can always send you a Dropbox link.

Cheers
M

I've got a login to MyAudi and the Individual Special Destinations option is there. It looks like I could download to an SD card or send direct to the car (which I wasn't expecting).

The car is outside in the garage, but it looks like it's started snowing so if you're able to send a fragment azibux, I'll give it a try tomorrow evening. I've not yet worked out whether it's possible to send an attachment to another user on the forum, but if that's not possible, I can always send you a Dropbox link.

Cheers
M
Sounds like you have all you need :)

Never tried the send direct to car option, but then again I have a PFL without the connect features so can't try it.

Just about to send you a dropbox link with the red-light camera csv file and my preferred choice of image (the image is in this thread somewhere also).

You seem to have used pocketgpsworld before? But in case you haven't, what you'll get when you sign up and download is the same thing I've given you, but it will be one file for each of the following:

- GATSO
- Mobile
- pMobile (seems to be unverified mobile locations)
- Red light
- SPECS

Let me know when you've downloaded so I can delete them from my dropbox :)

Reactions: DrMal
We've been out tonight and it's too damn cold outside to try it this late. I have tried sending it direct to the car just now and I'll hunt around for a SD card or spare USB memory stick (will that work?) and I'll check it out tomorrow...

Reactions: azibux1
We've been out tonight and it's too damn cold outside to try it this late. I have tried sending it direct to the car just now and I'll hunt around for a SD card or spare USB memory stick (will that work?) and I'll check it out tomorrow...
Not sure on USB, I've only ever tried updating via SD

Reactions: Rob2k68
The map update ddin't work for me through USB, but I tried slot 2 if that makes a difference. I dont have an SD card big enough for the full update but have loads of MicroSD so I'll just have to find an adapter

Thanks for the file azibux1. I took the car to work this morning and it did pick up and install the POIs through the "send to vehicle" option on MyAudi. After I turned on the option to display the category they did appear overlaid on top of Google Maps view. The only issues seems to be that using the send to vehicle route to get it on the car doesn't give you any way to alter the zoom value at which the icons appear on the map.

I'll try out the manual approach over the weekend, editing the categories.pc file before uploading manually - when I can find a SD card (we moved a while back it'll be somewhere in a packing case). I'll also see if it works through USB.

Reactions: azibux1
Thanks for the file azibux1. I took the car to work this morning and it did pick up and install the POIs through the "send to vehicle" option on MyAudi. After I turned on the option to display the category they did appear overlaid on top of Google Maps view. The only issues seems to be that using the send to vehicle route to get it on the car doesn't give you any way to alter the zoom value at which the icons appear on the map.

I'll try out the manual approach over the weekend, editing the categories.pc file before uploading manually - when I can find a SD card (we moved a while back it'll be somewhere in a packing case). I'll also see if it works through USB.
You're welcome! Glad it worked!

I finally managed to upload the speed camera data to our car (MY 2017 FL S3 with Tech Pack Advanced) this evening. To summarise:

1. Downloaded the five pocketgpsworld datasets in Garmin POILoader format (Camera selection - UK consolidated by type).
2. Uploaded each .csv to myAudi in turn, attaching the logos found in post #68 of this thread.
3a. "Send to car" works, displaying overlaid on Google Maps view, but the icons don't display as you zoom out on the map.
3b. Downloaded all POI datasets in one go to my PC.
4. Edited categories.pc, changing zoom levels to 30.
5. Copied output files to USB memory stick (total file size about 2 MB).
6. Performed map update through USB connection without any problems.
7. Changed map options to display myAudi special destination POI categories on both instrument cluster display and central dash display.
8. Camera icons display overlaid on Google Maps view and are still present as map zooms out.

In short, it all works! If anyone wants a photo, I'll take one later in the week.

Reactions: AL_B, Rob2k68, allanmb and 1 other person
@DrMal. Glad that it worked for you. I have everything working except for POI's showing when zoomed out. I've the A4 B9 and there might be a differense between the A3 and the A4 systems or just plain user error from my end when altering the categories.pc file. Do you think that you could be so kind and share the content of your categories.pc file (print screen would be sufficient) so that I can compare the file with my corresponding file and see if there are any differences that could explain why it doesn't work. I'm on a Mac but I don't believe that's the reason it doesn't work as the SD card to which the files have been downloaded is in the FAT format and the upload to the system as such seems to have worked.

//Hans

Here you go (reformatted with indenting from the raw XML to make it easier to read):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <poicategories version="02010011">
        <categories>
            <!--Speed Camera - ?Mobile-->
            <category bitmapIndex="6" id="0" name="0" type="0">
                <bitmap res_id="6">bitmaps/image_6.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
            </category>
            <!--Speed Camera - GATSO-->
            <category bitmapIndex="2" id="1" name="1" type="0">
                <bitmap res_id="2">bitmaps/image_2.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
            </category>
            <!--Speed Camera - MOBILE-->
            <category bitmapIndex="3" id="2" name="2" type="0">
                <bitmap res_id="3">bitmaps/image_3.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
            </category>
            <!--Speed Camera - REDLIGHT-->
            <category bitmapIndex="5" id="3" name="3" type="0">
                <bitmap res_id="5">bitmaps/image_5.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
            </category>
            <!--Speed Camera - SPECS-->
            <category bitmapIndex="4" id="4" name="4" type="0">
                <bitmap res_id="4">bitmaps/image_4.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
            </category>
        </categories>
        <types>
            <type id="0">
                <bitmap module="0" res_id="6" size="10">bitmaps/image_6.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="6" size="10">bitmaps/image_6.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="6" size="20">bitmaps/image_6.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <zoomlevel max="30" min="0"/>
                <priority>1</priority>
                <code>0</code>
                <description/>
            </type>
            <type id="1">
                <bitmap module="0" res_id="2" size="10">bitmaps/image_2.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="2" size="10">bitmaps/image_2.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="2" size="20">bitmaps/image_2.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <priority>1</priority>
                <code>1</code>
                <description/>
            </type>
            <type id="2">
                <bitmap module="0" res_id="3" size="10">bitmaps/image_3.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="3" size="10">bitmaps/image_3.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="3" size="20">bitmaps/image_3.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <priority>1</priority>
                <code>2</code>
                <description/>
            </type>
            <type id="3">
                <bitmap module="0" res_id="5" size="10">bitmaps/image_5.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="5" size="10">bitmaps/image_5.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="5" size="20">bitmaps/image_5.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <priority>1</priority>
                <code>3</code>
                <description/>
            </type>
            <type id="4">
                <bitmap module="0" res_id="4" size="10">bitmaps/image_4.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="4" size="10">bitmaps/image_4.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <bitmap module="1" res_id="4" size="20">bitmaps/image_4.png,0,0,33,33,-24,-24</bitmap>
                <priority>1</priority>
                <code>4</code>
                <description/>
            </type>
        </types>

<search type="Generic">
            <!--Speed Camera - ?Mobile-->
            <category id="0" index="10">
                <type id="0"/>
            </category>
            <!--Speed Camera - GATSO-->