Speed Camera POI

Update - Audi Connect is working again and it was a breeze to send the Custom POI's via the "Send to vehicle" button!

All looks to be working perfectly :)

Reactions: NevMan
hey guys - im just about to take delivery of a new 18 reg audi a3 with standard sat nav, can anyone advise how or if it comes with speed camera alerts on standard on new ones?

its my first audi and ive always had the camera alerts so hoping I can get it sorted

thanks folks

hey guys - im just about to take delivery of a new 18 reg audi a3 with standard sat nav, can anyone advise how or if it comes with speed camera alerts on standard on new ones?

its my first audi and ive always had the camera alerts so hoping I can get it sorted

thanks folks
Unfortunately, if you haven’t got the advanced tech pack I don’t believe it’s possible. I’m not aware that the standard SD card based sat nav can store custom POI’s.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply bells - damn that's a shame really useful for my job having the speed alerts - always been standard on most cars ive had

so I cant even download those POI ones either to make it work :(

thanks for the quick reply bells - damn that's a shame really useful for my job having the speed alerts - always been standard on most cars ive had

so I cant even download those POI ones either to make it work :(

I can confirm that you CAN have your custom POI installed with sd-nav. I have them. Here is a quick guide for you all:

This is a basic guide that will work with any type of POI...

1. Get a SD-card
2. Download and install POIbase-application into your pc, select AUDI navigation
https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/
3. In the poibase-app Upload/Add your own custom POI gategory with a garmin/whatever -POI -file and add a POI-symbol you want to use with it
4. Export it to your SD-card
5. Plug the card into your car and select update from the MMI
6. Update will start and after that you can select your own Audi poi from the nav-menu to show on the screen.
7. Have a beer or cup of tea and congratulate yourself - job well done!

Reactions: Bells
I can confirm that you CAN have your custom POI installed with sd-nav. I have them. Here is a quick guide for you all:

This is a basic guide that will work with any type of POI...

1. Get a SD-card
2. Download and install POIbase-application into your pc, select AUDI navigation
https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/
3. In the poibase-app Upload/Add your own custom POI gategory with a garmin/whatever -POI -file and add a POI-symbol you want to use with it
4. Export it to your SD-card
5. Plug the card into your car and select update from the MMI
6. Update will start and after that you can select your own Audi poi from the nav-menu to show on the screen.
7. Have a beer or cup of tea and congratulate yourself - job well done!
I stand corrected! I tried the normal process I use for my car with my Dad’s A3 that just has SD Nav and it didn’t seem to work but I’ll give it another go following these steps and see if I can get it working :icon thumright:

It "should work" assuming SD Card that holds SatNav is writeable. This is on my list to try myself

Wow thanks for that bud apprecaited

All new to me this

So do i still need the poi base???? Or does the link have everything good to go?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

So assume i need the poi speed cameras database first

Are they all paid for now any free ones knocking around?

one final question and most importantly, is there any audio warning for the speed cameras? even if its just a beep once or similar? or are they simply just visual?

So assume i need the poi speed cameras database first

Are they all paid for now any free ones knocking around?

Yes, you will be needing somekind of a database (for example: garmin .csv-file) of your POIs you want to add. There are various sites online that provide free speedcam-POI... just google :)

You can add warning in Audi MMI of "nearby" POI, but it doesn't work as I wanted so I just use visual cam-picture on the map...

ive tried googling it but to no avail cant see any free at all just sends me to the paid sites, as I don't really know what im looking for lol - I don't mind paying at all but want to check its gonna work first and also I don't think I will get on with it without audio, as I never look at the nav unless Im lost just listen out to the commands

ive seen tomtom do a speed camera app which runs along side Bluetooth so that could be an option

Audio beep is an option on my car. 2017, not tech pack but with B&O. You get a ding at the same time as the message

However it doesn’t care if you are on the same road as the camera POI so on motorways you get alters for cameras on roads adjacent to the motorway.. which is annoying

Ding
Ding
Ding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ive tried googling it but to no avail cant see any free at all just sends me to the paid sites, as I don't really know what im looking for lol - I don't mind paying at all but want to check its gonna work first and also I don't think I will get on with it without audio, as I never look at the nav unless Im lost just listen out to the commands

ive seen tomtom do a speed camera app which runs along side Bluetooth so that could be an option

The one to use is pocketgpsworld

which is the paid one right? or am I missing something :shrug:

gringo steve - the ding ding ding is what I want ( not too bothered even if its on the wrong side of the road beep)

the a3 im getting is just a new one with standard audi nav?

Yeah it is paid for but it is cheap at £19.99 per year. A small price to pay for accurate data :)

Will send you screen shots of my setup later if you want?

cool cheers steve - yep im not bothered about paying 20 quid just want it too work with audio - without audio its pointless I may as well just use the tomtom app which works thro Bluetooth on the car anyways

would like to see some pics though that would be great just to get visual aspect of it all running :) thanks

cool cheers steve - yep im not bothered about paying 20 quid just want it too work with audio - without audio its pointless I may as well just use the tomtom app which works thro Bluetooth on the car anyways

would like to see some pics though that would be great just to get visual aspect of it all running :) thanks

Ok will do, which model year do you have?

You can always test it with one of pocketgpsworlds free files. Set it up to beep when you go past a known POI?

its a brand new 18 reg a3 sline - standard nav -

ohhh yeh where are the free files to try then? ive searched on the site and can only find the full one, although setting it up confuses me too haha :(

fd2df2a830963c7d7f2a19d6d1480f89.jpg

d99ea28d98f53e6ead9ad113832f6b52.jpg

You need the CSV Garmin file and you need to create an account (free)

ah sorry yes saw the free other POI's thought you meant free test for some of the speed camera ones :)

no probs ill try that first then and if the sound works then all good :)

many thanks for that bud, ok I stand corrected that does look quite useful given the camera signs are really quite visible just viewing the map....would be perfect if I can get the sound to work with it, hopefully someone with a new a3 standard nav can confirm :)

I just need to figure out how to do it now haha :(

On your map push the joystick right
Select navigation settings
Select arrival notification
Switch on alerts and beep
Select those POI you want to alert you

I made the icons myself based on others found on here but added a red border so they stand out

nice one, note to self when it arrives

I meant more so the install on a sd card side of things of it lol

and god where do you get the icons from? you have to manually do all that too?

as you can probably tell im useless with technology :crying:

For everyone using a USB Nav system,

I have had a quick "play" around with @mcaddy App using the source files and Visual Basic, It would appear that i have got it working again. However I will test this out tonight on me '16 Audi A3 with Tech Pack MMI later on tonight. I was able to bypass the download error by redirecting the download link to a more up to date Garmin POILoder package on the www.pocketgpsworld.com site, it now will download the UK "Consolidated By Type" package that gives you all the updated cameras till 01/08/2018.

After my tests later, if i get this to work i will post a dropbox link to the updated executable file, run like before with your username and password, select what cameras you wish to have then identify your SD card from the drop down menu. This is @mcaddy App and all credit goes to him, i have just updated some references.

- Aaron

Audi POI

For everyone using a USB Nav system,

I have had a quick "play" around with @mcaddy App using the source files and Visual Basic, It would appear that i have got it working again. However I will test this out tonight on me '16 Audi A3 with Tech Pack MMI later on tonight. I was able to bypass the download error by redirecting the download link to a more up to date Garmin POILoder package on the www.pocketgpsworld.com site, it now will download the UK "Consolidated By Type" package that gives you all the updated cameras till 01/08/2018.

After my tests later, if i get this to work i will post a dropbox link to the updated executable file, run like before with your username and password, select what cameras you wish to have then identify your SD card from the drop down menu. This is @mcaddy App and all credit goes to him, i have just updated some references.

- Aaron

View attachment 161856

These tests proved beneficial I have now got the @mcaddy app working again for anyone in the UK that has SD navigation, Please see images at the end of this post. As mentioned above, when downloading this app, unzip the file and run the executable.

When the app loads enter your username and password for your www.pocketgpsworld.com account select what cameras you wish to appear on your MMI, make sure that your select the correct drive letter of your attached SD card and click "Get Cameras" this will start the download and creation of the database files.

Once the download has complete safely remove your SD card, plug it into your MMI unit within your glove compartment and Navigate to Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update -> Select Your Update Media (SD Card 1 or 2) -> Start Update. Once Start update has been selected the update process is described by the pictured attached to this post.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1LuCq1_KCC-6HDq-lhqT4XVAv4bttS6Ro&export=download

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 323
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 357
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 352
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Reactions: deepy and NevMan
Nice one @AWP that is awesome news. I will give this a go on my car this weekend.
Can you re-post the attachements, as they are erroring?

Nice one @AWP that is awesome news. I will give this a go on my car this weekend.
Can you re-post the attachements, as they are erroring?

Pictures attached instead of being within text, Thank you for this update.

Works a treat for me especially with the 'arrival note'. Nice one @AWP

Reactions: AWP
Works a treat for me especially with the 'arrival note'. Nice one @AWP

Excellent news! Have you got the FL RS3 ?
I have a PFL car and don't currently have arrival tones so that was a fear that wouldn't work, but thank you for your input :)

Excellent news! Have you got the FL RS3 ?
I have a PFL car and don't currently have arrival tones so that was a fear that wouldn't work, but thank you for your input :)

Yes FL RS3, so get the distance message and tone, thanks once again.

Reactions: AWP
Bet ze Germans have outsources to ze Indians, who in my experience don't have a rush built into them. I heard a story that the Indian support from a big computer company took hours to respond when a bank was down in the UK. They thought it was one branch when in reality it was a major part of the banks UK storage that was offline.

You on the right forum buddy ?

Yes the AudiConnect site is still down.

Well, the PersonalPOI "myAudi Special destinations" section of it is down anyway.

Audi customer services have confirmed that ze Germans are aware it is down, but they are unable to give any indication of when it might be fixed.

Very frustrating, as this is a feature I was really looking forward to using.

Bet ze Germans have outsources to ze Indians, who in my experience don't have a rush built into them. I heard a story that the Indian support from a big computer company took hours to respond when a bank was down in the UK. They thought it was one branch when in reality it was a major part of the banks UK storage that was offline.

Probably not, might not even be on the right website. I may have had another site open and thought I was posting on there. Senility setting in.
Ha not going mad. replied to an earlier post in this thread. Then again I am probably losing it.