Speed camera detectors

mark88

Reaction score
Any of you guys recommend one of these? Road Angel, snooper etc? which is the best?

Morpheous micro road pilot Iwould reckomend :)

how about a lsrer jammer instead of the detector - detectors can go off all to aften when there isnt a camera dand would often go off too late so you would be caught anyway.
Jammer isnt exactly 100% legal but seems like quite a popular option. Fifth Gear did a cracking test of this version a while back - very effective.

http://www.belradardirect.co.uk/LT-400-lasertrack.htm

Just another option.......had to look into it a bit as been driving around on 9 points for a while.....i just slowed down and was a lot more more careful..........and they all come of this year so have not bothered myself. May get it in the future though...just for a bit of piece of mind.

Either the Origin B2 or the Road Angel plus would be the best choices due to having better and more regularly updated databases. The down side of the B2 is that its hard wired into the car. The RA+ even has battery back up so you dont need to plug it in every time.

I use a new road angel which has been a saviour of my license more than a few times while traveling to places I dont know well.

I've been using a RA (the original one) since it came out, and it's superb.
Works a treat...

I recently bought a Snooper Indago to get a combined Sat Nav and camera locator and this thing really is a quality piece of kit!
Even better than the Original Road Angel with cameras and perfect Sat Nav.

Both recommended...

Road Angel compact with laser detector has been working fine for me.

Updates via internet and nice and small to fit on top of the dash.

DIABLO636 said:
Jammer isnt exactly 100% legal
Jammers are highly illegal and if you get caught using one you'll be in a lot of bother.

Detectors are on the brink of being made illegal too, if they've not already been. Stick to the GPS systems such as Origin and RoadAngel.

Vertigo1 said:
Jammers are highly illegal and if you get caught using one you'll be in a lot of bother.

Detectors are on the brink of being made illegal too, if they've not already been. Stick to the GPS systems such as Origin and RoadAngel.

An who exactly is going to catch you using one of these devices?

normski said:
You'd be surprised!
Here in the Netherlands radar detector have been illegal for a while now and believe it or not, but the dutch police have a radar detector detector... yep you read it right, a device that detects if you are using a radar detector. I know it sounds like a joke, but it really is true!

Many, many people have been caught this way! Don't bother trying to hide the detector (behind the grill for example, with just a small led discretely in the interior somewhere) because they will find it anyway.

normski said:
Detectors or jammers?

Detectors are useless anyway as, most of the time, by the time it warns you you've already been caught.

Jammers are easy to detect. When the police at the side of the road can't get a lock on your vehicle and get wacky results from the gun, which is what happens when a jammer is used, they're going to suspect what's going on and pull you anyway for a closer look.

Got a snooper S3 Neo and very good when driving in area's I don't know. Good laser detection which picks up laser activity up to 2 miles away. But yeah can sometimes be too late if it goes off but it generally picks up activity wel ahead of you so if they laser some one else, you get to know about it.

Just update mine on the net too, plug in and away it goes.got GPS too.

virtually all of the cameras i pass are mobile van units that sit there and watch thousands of cars pass by. Tthey dont follow and pull over cars so those ones at leastr are not going to catch you having a jammer. the other random police cars with radar guns may decided to follow you but when they have so many other cars they can easily catch why bother. Its a chance you take, its not legal but if you have a home garage then there is a decent excuse for having it as thats where the technology is from - its to detect your car arriving at your garage and opening the garage door automatically. the jammer in the link only jams for a few seconds enough for you to slow down, it then switches itself off so the radar gun can still record a speed for you.

Also if you are too worried about breaking the law and using an illegal jammer then dont speed at all, thats illegal too. If you want to or or already use a radar detector it implies that you are prepared to break the law by speeding.

i dont think detectors are goingh to be banned over here in the uk - the discussion has come up manytimes but in surveys done they have shown that people who use detectors have less accidents.

I've actually looked into the use of jammers quite extensively as I'm a rep and always on the road and who loves to have peace of mind.

As far as I know, these mobile safety camera vans as they are classed as, are the ones that you want to watch out for. If they can not get a fix on your speed a warning will come up and your vehicle will have a so called red flag on the police national computer. If this happens three times you can expect a knock on your door and in some circumstances vehicles have been taken away for inpections. Oh and as from this month a new bill has come into force that actually outlaws the use of these jammers.

I've also had a quick look at road angels/laser detectors and would actually like your views on one thing that has stopped me purchasing a Road Angel. I've been told that due to the very narrow beam that these mobile safety camera use, As soon as the laser detecter picks up the signal its too late, Your nicked!

Is this true? Obviously this is only applies to safety camera vans and not fixed cameras.

The vans may be prevalent but it's worth mentioning that both times I've been done for speeding, it's been by police at the side of the road with a gun on a tripod and I was pulled there and then. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pull in a car they couldn't get a lock on just to have a look around the front of it for a jammer.

I have a RoadPilot MicrGo unit in my A3. I have it hard wired to a spare terminal in the fuse box at the right-hand end of the dash board. It's quite small and works very well, giving both flashing screen and voice indication of fixed camera and often used mobile van sites. The screen and warning give both the camera warning and details of the speed limit. It also gives an acurate GPS digital speed readout which can be set for mph or kph.

I used to use software on my PDA but the problem was that I didn't always take my PDA with me. The MicroGo is always in the car and is a totally self-contained unit.

normski said:
The bit about the system flagging your reg to the PNC in the event of not being able to ping you is in my opinion fantasy. It would take the camera operator (these things aren't automated) to physically decide something is dodgy with your car, and report it later. This just doesn't happen from my experience. When people sat in an office process the film, they don't look at every single car that comes through, they go straight to the offences (tagged by the system) and process the images from the offenders and that's it generally. Only in odd circs will they actually look at other areas of the tape (such as a report from the operator of a serious motoring offence etc.)

The banning of jammers is just a bill thus far I understood, and getting it passed is another kettle of fish.

Generally I suspect that detectors are almost irrelevant, they may give you seconds to reduce and therefore minimise your speed, but the lasers work for some distance and are accurate and once the detector has detected the laser, it means that the operator must have pressed the button for the laser to have been emitted, too late for you unless he/she is zapping another vehicle.

In our area, all camera sites have signs up and the sensible person would drive with care along there with their eyes wide open. Pretty much every site I can think of locally has enough view for you to see the vans before they can zap you, as there are certain guidlines and the operator has to form the opinion of your excess speed, before corroborating it with the device.

Not quite fantasy I'm afraid. http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

h5djr said:
I have a RoadPilot MicrGo unit in my A3. I have it hard wired to a spare terminal in the fuse box at the right-hand end of the dash board. It's quite small and works very well, giving both flashing screen and voice indication of fixed camera and often used mobile van sites. The screen and warning give both the camera warning and details of the speed limit. It also gives an acurate GPS digital speed readout which can be set for mph or kph.
Interesting little unit that. Can I ask whether you can turn off the backlight on it as this was one thing I really didn't like about the RoadAngel units, they were constantly lit up which was very annoying at night. Also, is there an annual subscription for location updates?

You can change the backlight settings for both colour and whether is on all the time or only at night. The backlight is not that bright I don't find in the least distracting at night. I have mine set to an orangey/red colour to match in with the cars interior lighting and it changes to blue when a warning is given.

Yes there is a fee for the upgrades. You get the first year included when you purchase the unit and then it's £45.00 per year or £99.95 for 3 years. I went for the 3 years because even if I changed cars, the MicroGo is so easy to transfer to another car.

If your interested, PM me and I will email the instructions that came with the unit or I think you can download a copy from the RoadPilot website.

I think you'll find the guy that got arrested for using a jammer had been zapped 35 times in one month, he thought the jammer made his car invisible and was trying to prove a point by deliberately speeding past the same mobile traps. The guy was an idiot. No one since that case 3 years ago has been prosecuted as far as I know. It's a scaremonger tactic and of course all the sites that sell the devices have to be seen to be doing everything they can to warn potential customers of the risks.
I have both RA2's and jammers fitted to both our cars and they've saved my licence twice and my wifes once.
Jammers have always been illegal, the law is only querying the use of laser detectors, as these only detect they don't jam so currently don't fall under the "perverting the course of justice" ruling that jammers could be accused of.
As Diablo says above if you're concerned about breaking the law using a jammer then why are you not concerned about breaking the law by speeding?
Not quite as simple as that is it? You cannot drive 20k+ miles a year and not go over the speed limit. If you claim you do you're a liar, everyone creeps over the limit, probably everytime they get behind the wheel if we're all being honest. If you're unlucky and drive a lot outside rush hour, then you'll quickly accumulate 9 points in 3 years. With so many ways to get caught they really need to revise the maximum amount of points allowed before a ban.

I've been running an RA Classic for three years now, and it has worked excellently until recently, when it started to paly up a bit. The three-year database subscription that came with it is about to expire, and so I've been looking around for a possible replacement.

I've just ordered a Snooper Syrius combined sat-nav & camera detector, which should arrive tomorrow. Once I've registered it, I send the RA to them in exchange for a lifetime subscription (normallly £99), and my existing separate satnav will get outed on Ebay.

Sweet.

Have just searched for a Snooper-compatible Brodit mount to fix it to my Pro-clip and guess what?

They don't do one.

Grrrr!

Are you sure Snooper don't?
They do for the Indago as I've spoken to them about it.

All I need to do is select any Pro-clip from the Brodit range and they'll supply a fitting kit complete with the Brodit Pro-clip and the Indago cradle.

I'd have thought the Syrius is the same.

Try speaking to Snooper directly...

BTW, how do you find the Brodit Pro-clip?
Does it work well?
Any squeeks?
Sturdy?

Ess_Three said:
Are you sure Snooper don't?
They do for the Indago as I've spoken to them about it.

All I need to do is select any Pro-clip from the Brodit range and they'll supply a fitting kit complete with the Brodit Pro-clip and the Indago cradle.

I'd have thought the Syrius is the same.

Try speaking to Snooper directly...

BTW, how do you find the Brodit Pro-clip?
Does it work well?
Any squeeks?
Sturdy?
Sorry for the delay in replying, Ess_Three, I had a bit of a glitch with the first Syrius that was shipped to me. The serial number burned into the chip was not the same as the S/N on the back of the unit, so when I registered it for camera updates, it wouldn't work. All sorted now, the supplier shipped another unit the next day. While I was waiting, I spoke to Snooper, and sure enough, just like you said, they could supply a bracket to attach to my existing Brodit Pro-clip.

In answer to your question, I find the Brodit Pro-clip an excellent piece of kit. It's sturdy, smart looking, and very easy to fit. In fact, it comes supplied with a gap-creating tool (a wedged piece of plastic) that I have found incredible useful for a myriad of little tasks (in particular, for concealing cables behind trim panels. It's almost worth buying the Pro-clip just for that.

I've just finished fitting it all together, and here are the pics:

Clip and Bracket

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/jdp1962/P1010026-1.jpg
It looks a bit messy at the moment, as it exposed the unused screw holes fo rthe previous bracket, but I have a cunning plan to tidy that up (i.e. fill the holes & paint over them).

Here it is with the Syrius in place

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/jdp1962/P1010027-1.jpg

I've only just set it up this morning, so haven't used the satnav function for any journeys, but initial impressions of the camera detection are good.

Will be going up to the Borders next month, so will have plenty of opportunity to give it a good road test.

Vertigo1 said:
"I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pull in a car they couldn't get a lock on just to have a look around the front of it for a jammer."
Because they'd miss about £600 worth of £60 fines in doing so, never gonna happen.