Specification concerns

kamilo

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am about to put down a deposit on new RS3 saloon, I am still debating about some extras, whether I need them or not
1) 255/30 front wheels, do they add some extra grip vs standard 235/35? Extra cost is €400, I am planning to do stage 1
2) Sunroof, I never had one in any of my previous cars, is it worth extra €1400? I can imagine it can be fun to open and listen some of the exhaust notes better. From other side I know sunroofs can be problematic & add some weight.
3) Tinted glass, cost €500, I think I will make better deal by going to detailing shop instead, should be cheaper and I can go with much darker setup. Not sure about foil durability tho
4) Sport seats type "S", €1000, are they a must? I am not planning to visit race track
5) Aluminimum race vs standard 3D LUV? Is it worth extra €100
6) If I order now I will get MY19, which means my car will get GPF. Do you think I should worry about it?

Apart of the concerns above my setup includes rs comfort package, rs design crescendo, tyre pressure monitoring system, MMI Navigation plus + MMI touch, Bang & Olufsen sound system, VC, backup camera, more USB ports, sport exchaust

I watched almost all rs3 FL reviews on yt, read this forum for past few days, but I am still unsure about these few things. Any feedback appreciated!

Personally, I would say the seats and the wheels are the 2 most important in your list. Privacy glass next, but as you have identified, you could probably get it cheaper aftermarket although it will be a film tint rather than factory tinted glass. Trim removal etc to get into it aftermarket so you may get squeaks here and there and realistically how much would you save doing it aftermarket? Not sure it’s worth it personally.

Sunroof adds weight up top which will increase the centre of gravity. For sure, there will be a slight performance, handling and braking penalty if you really want to drill down on it.

Black pack or Alu pack or standard? What exterior colour did you choose? You’re not just paying for the wider wheels, you’re paying for a different colour on the wheels too. Full silver can look a bit bland.

You’re obviously not U.K. based so it’s a little difficult to compare with different standard specs and possibly options list (wheels etc)

GPF? The new Gasoline particulate filters? Early days, I wonder if they will sap power or sound, sure we will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: kamilo
Personally I would have the sports exhaust (RS3 has one of the best engines around...enjoy it even more with the sports exhaust).
I'd also have the seats. Makes the interior look and feel that bit more expensive.
Privacy glass as Leo says will be proper tinted glass, not a film.
The wider front wheels will help with handling and traction, especially if you're going stage 2.
The sunroof I would probably give a miss, but can appreciate others would have it first on their list.

Sport seats look much better and come with lumbar as standard. Standard seats don’t have lumbar or electric unless specced. So keep that in mind. As for them being better for the track - they really are the same as standard just look better. There is a thread here about how they aren’t really sports seats, as they don’t have bolster sides and won’t keep you in your seat round corners. They are just for visual appeal.

But they do look amazing...

The Alu race inlays have lights in them so the side of the door lights up at night - all other trims do not have this. So if you want more light at night I would spec Alu race. It is the one thing I wanted to add to my spec but was too late to make the change after it was locked in.

@Leo-RS Ara blue, I can only choose black pack vs standard matt aluminimum. Haven't decided yet, likely will stick with standard.
Wheels titanum matt vs anthracite black, likely not much difference.

@D0C Thanks!

@Spinstorm Thanks! Do you know maybe if I will spec aluminimum race, I will lose red vents included in rs design package?

BTW
I have configured everything in UK configurator, uk.audi.com/APFLWKZ6 and I am quite shocked, it's ~12000GBP cheaper comparing to PL.

Last edited:
Reactions: D0C
Have a look at the Ara blue cars with black pack, privacy and Anthracite wheels before confirming your order. Looks even better with the Pano too adding to the whole blue and black contrast look.

Attachments

• AC3CECD9-A7B1-49ED-A993-E98EB2E4CDD8.jpeg
    AC3CECD9-A7B1-49ED-A993-E98EB2E4CDD8.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 247
  • 73034808-2A5C-4664-B857-9F2B6405EF13.jpeg
    73034808-2A5C-4664-B857-9F2B6405EF13.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
Reactions: dno_uk
@Leo-RS Ara blue, I can only choose black pack vs standard matt aluminimum. Haven't decided yet, likely will stick with standard.
Wheels titanum matt vs anthracite black, likely not much difference.

@D0C Thanks!

@Spinstorm Thanks! Do you know maybe if I will spec aluminimum race, I will lose red vents included in rs design package?

BTW
I have configured everything in UK configurator, uk.audi.com/APFLWKZ6 and I am quite shocked, it's ~12000GBP cheaper comparing to PL.

No - the RS design interior is separate from the inlays... at least in the UK but I don’t think the US is different with that.

I have an Ara blue saloon with Matt Aluminum and it looks much better than the black version in my opinion. The reason for that is simple - Ara is a very bright colour and black doesn’t contrast as well as the silver colour. Plus the Alu look is more eye catching - you could confuse a black pack RS3 for an S3 black edition. You won’t with the aluminum pack as the grill stays black and the rest is silver coloured.

No - the RS design interior is separate from the inlays... at least in the UK but I don’t think the US is different with that.

I have an Ara blue saloon with Matt Aluminum and it looks much better than the black version in my opinion. The reason for that is simple - Ara is a very bright colour and black doesn’t contrast as well as the silver colour. Plus the Alu look is more eye catching - you could confuse a black pack RS3 for an S3 black edition. You won’t with the aluminum pack as the grill stays black and the rest is silver coloured.
Always subjective but I personally find that Ara blue washes out badly with alu styling pack. Similar to Nardo with alu pack. In fact, I reckon only black suits alu pack.

Reactions: AB RS3, Leo-RS and dno_uk
Ara Blue with Black Styling Pack for the win . . . Definitely not to be confused with an S3 :tearsofjoy:

IMG 6083

Reactions: AB RS3 and D0C
Ara Blue with Black Styling Pack for the win . . . Definitely not to be confused with an S3 :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 157852

Nope it looks like an ara blue S3 black pack it really does... look... You can even get RS style wheels with it.
There are of course differences but black grill, same shape you wouldn't know.

19785533.jpg

Compared to:

maxresdefault.jpg

If everyone can't see my point its just because you don't like that your expensive RS3 looks like an S3 with the black pack (to which I say you should have thought about that before you bought it! Don't blame me!).

If everyone can't see my point its just because you don't like that your expensive RS3 looks like an S3 with the black pack (to which I say you should have thought about that before you bought it! Don't blame me!).

Or maybe it's just a case of each to their own?

You love Aluminium Styling Pack - we get it . . . No need to throw so much hate at those who don't share your opinion

Reactions: keenu and T-800

You love Aluminium Styling Pack - we get it . . . No need to throw so much hate at those who don't share your opinion

It's 100% each to their own, I got Nardo with NO black pack, because almost every Nardo I have seen has it, I also preferred the front grill with the standard chrome, I have had no end of compliments on her, but most on here think it is wrong... it is all opinion but at the end of the day, we all have one hell of a machine!

It's 100% each to their own, I got Nardo with NO black pack, because almost every Nardo I have seen has it, I also preferred the front grill with the standard chrome, I have had no end of compliments on her, but most on here think it is wrong... it is all opinion but at the end of the day, we all have one hell of a machine!

I'll drink to that! :beercheers:

...just some are better looking that others!

Joking, what pleases someone, doesnt please others! Who cares! You bought it because that’s what YOU like, so enjoy!

I don’t have anything against the black styling. I had a Navarra Blue S3 with black pack and it looked great.

I’m just making the valid point that an Ara Blue RS3 with black looks like an S3 with black pack. A Nardo car will only ever look like an RS car because you can’t get the standard S3 in it.

I personally wouldn’t go for black as Ive said and I didn’t but you can deny that your RS3 looks like that S3 to the casual observer and also to anyone who sees it coming up behind them... as there is no easy to discern feature on a quick glance from the front when it’s all black.

Compared to:

maxresdefault.jpg

Each to their own and all that but really not a fan of the alu pack. The car above is mismatched especially with the Pano roof. There's too much going on, blue,silver,black, red. The car looks fussy.

Black pack with Ara on the other hand is stunning, there's no confusion at all with a black edition S3. Wheels, brakes, exhausts, RS body kit etc, the noise.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no right or wrong. The majority of Ara cars do have the black pack though so you're probably in a minority with the Alu pack love.

Each to their own and all that but really not a fan of the alu pack. The car above is mismatched especially with the Pano roof. There's too much going on, blue,silver,black, red. The car looks fussy.

Black pack with Ara on the other hand is stunning, there's no confusion at all with a black edition S3. Wheels, brakes, exhausts, RS body kit etc, the noise.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no right or wrong. The majority of Ara cars do have the black pack though so you're probably in a minority with the Alu pack love.

This isn’t about personal taste I know everyone likes different things.

I am just making the point that the Ara blue black pack looks the same on an S3 and RS3. Yes the grill is different, yes its a bit more flared than an S3; but its the same colour with black grill and mirrors and therefore from the front looks the same. No one can read Quattro on the grill on the motorway.

Surely you want your RS3 to stand out? Not look the same as less special cars. And Ara blue and black pack doesn’t look different to an S3. Sorry. Drop the rose tinted glasses and look at the cars side by side as someone who doesn’t know the difference.

This isn’t about personal taste I know everyone likes different things.

I am just making the point that the Ara blue black pack looks the same on an S3 and RS3. Yes the grill is different, yes its a bit more flared than an S3; but its the same colour with black grill and mirrors and therefore from the front looks the same. No one can read Quattro on the grill on the motorway.

Surely you want your RS3 to stand out? Not look the same as less special cars. And Ara blue and black pack doesn’t look different to an S3. Sorry. Drop the rose tinted glasses and look at the cars side by side as someone who doesn’t know the difference.

Fact is though bud, the only people that care about the difference between an S3 and an RS3, are the ones that will indeed know the difference.