Speakers not working - Concert

Toblahoe

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Mrs '08 plate A3 is having a strange radio problem, at the front only the two tweeters work and the rear speakers don't work at all.

When she turns the volume up the front lower speakers start working, but then stop on lower volumes, after having a poke around in the lower A pillar one side doesn't work at all, only the tweeters.

Any other ideas, I'm trying to avoid pulling the door-cards off because I'm rough and always break the clips. :D

Thanks

Hi All,

My Mrs '08 plate A3 is having a strange radio problem, at the front only the two tweeters work and the rear speakers don't work at all.

When she turns the volume up the front lower speakers start working, but then stop on lower volumes, after having a poke around in the lower A pillar one side doesn't work at all, only the tweeters.

Any other ideas, I'm trying to avoid pulling the door-cards off because I'm rough and always break the clips. :D

Thanks
It sounds like a possible bad connection at the back of the set but it can also depend on what system you have. Some run seperate amps with active cross overs so you need to check.
I also think you can run audio diagnostic tests.
Dave O

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A scan is a good thing to get done if you have a cable or see if someone close by could do one for you ( check Vcd's Map ) as it could be a multitude off things especially when it comes to wiring

A scan is a good thing to get done if you have a cable or see if someone close by could do one for you ( check Vcd's Map ) as it could be a multitude off things especially when it comes to wiring

Imo vcds will have zero relevance to this diagnosis, apart from a faulty H.U not likely.

Imo vcds will have zero relevance to this diagnosis, apart from a faulty H.U not likely.
This is why we ask for a scan , look at pics and tell me it only tells OP that the HU has a fault.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180903-215213_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20180903-215213_Word.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20180903-215224_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20180903-215224_Word.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20180903-215233_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20180903-215233_Word.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 112
The reported fault are frequency 1. Therefore not the cause of the fault being investigated

The reported fault are frequency 1. Therefore not the cause of the fault being investigated
I am trying to show you that the scan shows more than you think and thats why its best to get one done, as i said in earlier post it could be a multiude off reason the speaker is not working correctly , short to ground, open circuit, broken wire, bad connection etc

I am trying to show you that the scan shows more than you think and thats why its best to get one done, as i said in earlier post it could be a multiude off reason the speaker is not working correctly , short to ground, open circuit, broken wire, bad connection etc

Agreed and point taken ch1z64.

The symptoms described to be would necessitate more than VCDS for final diagnosis.

You’re not going to get very far if you won’t take things apart. Plastic trim clips can bought and changed easy enough.
If you poked around by the A pillar then it does point to wiring in the rubber boot being broken.
It’s a common problem on any car that’s a few years old. The door loom also plugs into a socket just inside the A pillar so another place for you to check.

Reactions: Toblahoe
Thanks for the Input guys,

I've ordered some radio pins and a **** load of door clips, I'll take everything apart and check for loose/broken wires.

Any idea how to pull the rubber boot apart in the door? I was pulling at that and I think that's what broke the passenger side speaker all together, I was trying to peel it back to get a look at the connection.

Thanks

Best to loosen the loom inside the door from the clips(yes more clips to break for you) so you you’ll then have some slack. The rubber boots do just prise out, just take your time.