Spark plug change - 'the trick' ?

Reaction score
Right,

popped the engine cover off to change the spark plugs for the first time since I've owned the car and I have never seen such a Duff design in my life !

Two of the coil packs are located under a bracket that seems to have all sorts of boost hoses and electrics attatched to it. Amajor design flaw to cover the spark plugs that get changed so often.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could explain the 'trick' to getting to these coil packs so as I don't need to start taking everything attatched to the bracket off. Is there some way of moving the bracket or something that will allow me access to the coil packs ?

Also, I assume you need to unplug the wire from the coil packs to get them out (if that makes sense)

cheers,

G.

I think there is just one stud holding the bracket on then all the pipes will move with the bracket to let you do the spark pluggs

Yeah, It was a bit of a fiddle but not to bad.

if audi had just given a couple more mm here and there, servicing would be so simple.

Anyway, just finished my first service of my S3 and the result : No Problem.

I seriously suggest everyone who has an 8L service the car themselves. I bought only the best of gear and the total for:

4xNGK platinum plugs
1x4L Castrol RS 5W30 semi synthetic oil
oil filter
K+N element cleaner
1xpack of Bosch Aero wiper conversion kit
and to quickly check the brake linings

was £95 and took about an hour in total

saving: A LOT ! !

P.S just for reference:

Spark plug torque setting: 30Nm
coil pack bolts: 10Nm
aero wiper part no. AR533S
NGK part no. PFR6Q

And a wee thanks to 'RichA3turbo' the pump for the oil was magic !

I fully agree, I do all my own servicing, I recently bought:

Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Pollen Filter
4x Spark plugs
5L Synta Gold
Aero Wipers

For £61 +VAT from GSF, Used my Club GTI discount and got 10% off.

No reason to go anywhere near a garage.

Are your aero wipers just the replacement blades? do they fit stock arms?

Anyone got one of those activated charcoal pollen filters that bosch apparently do> Have to say I like the idea of one of them, espeically in town!