Spare wheels: what size? 2.0 TDI 140 and S3 - check please

Scott

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've fitted S3 brakes to my 2.0 TDI 140 and now I'm worried the space saver won't fit over the brakes. I've asked a mate what size spare he's got for his S3 and it's 125/70R18. I'm unable to get to my car today, so would someone be able to check what size spare your 140 has got please? Hoping it's also an 18" but I seem to recall it being smaller :(

Cheers,
Scott

I'm pretty sure its not an 18" but I could be wrong, if it is smaller though and if you got a flat on the front of the car, you could always swap one off the back and then put the space saver on the rear, it will fit over the rear brakes. I know its hassle, but how often do you get punctures?

Joe

the S3 shares brakes with the 3.2 that was available as a sport with 17s. so even if you have a 17" spare you should be fine in theory

Scott, the spare wheel in my 2006 140 TDI is : T125 /70 R16 96M. The other four wheels are:
225/45 R17 94W. By the way, when we had a puncture on the front our car last year, I fitted the thin spare wheel on the front. My wife was stopped by the police the next day, to inform her that the thin spare wheel should only be used on the rear, and then only from the point of puncture to the nearest garage. Never heard of that before. Perhaps Joe90K's suggestion has some merit.

when we had a puncture on the front our car last year, I fitted the thin spare wheel on the front. My wife was stopped by the police the next day, to inform her that the thin spare wheel should only be used on the rear

that sounds like utter rubbish to me

Yes, I agree, but remember I live in France, and all of the cops look like Peter Sellers.:busted_cop:

The space saver is for emergencys only. Your not supposed to fit it, then carry on doing your 50mile commute for a week or two until you can be bothered going to the tyre shop.

Shouldnt really matter if its on the front or rear though.