Spare wheel well liner ?

f1nny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently just picked up my A3 8Y and coming from an 8V I've started to notice the penny pinching from Audi. In particular the lack of spare wheel boot liner, which is surprising as the Golf MK8 comes with it which is suppose to sit below the so called "Premium" Audi with the group.

Has anyone looked into fitting the liner from the Golf to the Audi. They seem to be a direct fit as they are basically the same car.

My boot:

Rdgd

Golf MK8 liner part number 5H6863544

Ragd

Golf MK8 boot

Untitled

Hi all,

I've recently just picked up my A3 8Y and coming from an 8V I've started to notice the penny pinching from Audi. In particular the lack of spare wheel boot liner, which is surprising as the Golf MK8 comes with it which is suppose to sit below the so called "Premium" Audi with the group.

Has anyone looked into fitting the liner from the Golf to the Audi. They seem to be a direct fit as they are basically the same car.

My boot:

View attachment 264825

View attachment 264826

Golf MK8 boot

View attachment 264827

Hi all,

My boot:

View attachment 264825

View attachment 264826

Golf MK8 boot

View attachment 264827
Yes I am missing mine. Recent purchase on a 72 plate. I did keep the spare wheel from my old A3. Surely that's losing boot sound insulation. For a premium car not a good move on their part.

Hi all,

My boot:

View attachment 264825

View attachment 264826

Golf MK8 boot

View attachment 264827
Surely it's because you didn't order a Spare Wheel and Tool Kit and you have the Tyre Weld instead - My S3 8Y had the Wheel Liner because I ordered the spare wheel

Don't get me wrong it's definitely penny pinching not to have it in there at least for sound proofing and if you put things under the boot floor, but that would be the Audi way these days

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Surely it's because you didn't order a Spare Wheel and Tool Kit and you have the Tyre Weld instead - My S3 8Y had the Wheel Liner because I ordered the spare wheel

Don't get me wrong it's definitely penny pinching not to have it in there at least for sound proofing and if you put things under the boot floor, but that would be the Audi way these days
if its the same as the golf's one pictured above and extrudes beyond just the wheel well then its not there, and i did order a spare wheel and tool kit.
If you get one can you say if it makes much difference with road noise, as i think mine is quite loud.

S3 specific question...

I'm presuming that the S3's boot is a little shallower than a non Quattro A3's because of the Haldex box, is this correct (it was the case with my MK7 Golf R vs my MK 7 Golf GTD)?

Does the S3 have a spare wheel well? Again, referring back to the R, it had one. Looking to order a spare wheel to come with the incoming S3, unless there's no room for it.

S3 specific question...

I'm presuming that the S3's boot is a little shallower than a non Quattro A3's because of the Haldex box, is this correct (it was the case with my MK7 Golf R vs my MK 7 Golf GTD)?

Does the S3 have a spare wheel well? Again, referring back to the R, it had one. Looking to order a spare wheel to come with the incoming S3, unless there's no room for it.
It does - I ordered the Spare Wheel and Jack at time of ordering the car - It's cheaper and I think others have found some dealers quite difficult when ordering after the event - No idea why

Reactions: monkeyhanger

I think I should've read your post before asking my question, as you have an S3, and a wheel well. Was the spare wheel optioned as a factory fit, or did the dealer fit it afterwards? Looking to get a spare wheel for my incoming S3 and not sure if the liner will come with the wheel, for me or the dealership to fit, or whether I'll have to order separately.

I think I should've read your post before asking my question, as you have an S3, and a wheel well. Was the spare wheel optioned as a factory fit, or did the dealer fit it afterwards? Looking to get a spare wheel for my incoming S3 and not sure if the liner will come with the wheel, for me or the dealership to fit, or whether I'll have to order separately.
Please see my answer above

It does - I ordered the Spare Wheel and Jack at time of ordering the car - It's cheaper and I think others have found some dealers quite difficult when ordering after the event - No idea why
The optioned price of £100 for the wheel and £25 for the jack/toolkit did seem quite cheap when ordering, it's probably a fair bet that those prices don't apply for retro fit.

The optioned price of £100 for the wheel and £25 for the jack/toolkit did seem quite cheap when ordering, it's probably a fair bet that those prices don't apply for retro fit.
I'm fairly sure they don't apply afterwards and also not sure you would get the wheel liner either - You'd just get a wheel and jack - The liner might be in there of course but note sure - At least you'll have a compressor and tyre weld as well because that will come with the car as you've not ordered the spare

I'm fairly sure they don't apply afterwards and also not sure you would get the wheel liner either - You'd just get a wheel and jack - The liner might be in there of course but note sure - At least you'll have a compressor and tyre weld as well because that will come with the car as you've not ordered the spare
I'll consult my local TPS if the dealership comes back with silly money to retrofit, or buy one from Ebay for likely around £70-80.

I'm fairly sure they don't apply afterwards and also not sure you would get the wheel liner either - You'd just get a wheel and jack - The liner might be in there of course but note sure - At least you'll have a compressor and tyre weld as well because that will come with the car as you've not ordered the

I'll consult my local TPS if the dealership comes back with silly money to retrofit, or buy one from Ebay for likely around £70-80.
Wow, local TPS quotes £163 + VAT just for the space saver rim - no tyre, no jack, no tool kit. Looks like I'll be getting one off ebay.

Wow, local TPS quotes £163 + VAT just for the space saver rim - no tyre, no jack, no tool kit. Looks like I'll be getting one off ebay.
Good luck getting a 8y jack off eBay
In the end I brought one from the dealership but told me I had to take full responsibility if I used it.
If it ain’t fitted at the factory some nonsense about type approval .

Good luck getting a 8y jack off eBay
In the end I brought one from the dealership but told me I had to take full responsibility if I used it.
If it ain’t fitted at the factory some nonsense about type approval .
The 8Y jack doesn't look any different than previous ones, The car has same style jacking points, so happy to get one from another Audi.

The 8Y jack doesn't look any different than previous ones, The car has same style jacking points, so happy to get one from another Audi.
That’s what i thought but I went down the 8y route anyway. Different part numbers on the previous jacks
Don’t forget the handle comes separately from the jack if you order one

That’s what i thought but I went down the 8y route anyway. Different part numbers on the previous jacks
Don’t forget the handle comes separately from the jack if you order one
The price it'll be, should mean that its a super weight saving magnesium alloy body, but it won't be! :welcoming:

As i do have the same issue on my A3 8Y with no liner, may i ask what you did about it in the end ?
Also out of curiosity and just because i love DIYing, could a layer of mass loaded vinyl do the same, as custom soundproofing ?

I have a Dec 2020 S3, which didn't come with a spare wheel, but had the liner for some reason.
I couldn't get a spare wheel from main dealer (even though they were going to charge me over £400 for it) apparently they won't supply unless it is original spec. I eventually got one from a 2018 A3 on ebay which was unused for £40, so they did me a proper favour.
On the original spec point, I recently tried to enquire about the cost of upgrading my alloys to the 19" Sport ones, and the dealer said they couldn't see those against my chassis number, and could only see the 18" ones as fitted, so couldn't give me a price for the 19" ones. It appears Audi have locked down the spares system so the dealers can only order parts as originally spec'd to the individual cars.
I remember my mate had an M3, and he wanted to upgrade to the CSL alloys, but was told that you could only buy them if you had an M3 CSL, it's like Audi are doing something similar to protect the styling of the more premium models to prevent more standard models being made look-alikes.

I see plenty of non-performance Audis with the 19" trapezoid wheels my incoming S3 will have. Maybe they have a throttled supply and are keeping them for certain models? I find it a bit odd that there aren't any S3 specific options like VW has e.g. at one time you could only option 19" Pretorias on the Golf R, then they opened it up to the higher rated GTIs like the TCR.

I see plenty of non-performance Audis with the 19" trapezoid wheels my incoming S3 will have. Maybe they have a throttled supply and are keeping them for certain models? I find it a bit odd that there aren't any S3 specific options like VW has e.g. at one time you could only option 19" Pretorias on the Golf R, then they opened it up to the higher rated GTIs like the TCR.
Yes, the 19 " trapezoid are available on the S-Line, the only S3 specific wheels are the standard 18" multi-spoke.

Last edited:
My car did come with a spare wheel and does have a liner, i said it didn't, but after checking it does have one, but is different to the golf, its just a round disk that sits under the spare wheel see image

Attachments

• wheel liner.JPG
    wheel liner.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 187
My car did come with a spare wheel and does have a liner, i said it didn't, but after checking it does have one, but is different to the golf, its just a round disk that sits under the spare wheel see image
Mine came with the polystyrene insert, No.9 in the image. So where is your jack etc. stored?

Mine came with the polystyrene insert, No.9 in the image. So where is your jack etc. stored?
That's interesting.
Do you have a spare and a jack?
Mine looks like the original picture shown of the Golf, the polystyrene to the side, either No. 8 or 5 on the picture i posted.
I know my locking key is in there as i have had new tyres fitted, but cant say i have ever seen the jack? i'm assuming its underneath the polystyrene.

My son bought an A3 saloon Vorsprung 2022 a couple of weeks ago. He asked about the missing spare and Jack, it has an inflation kit. There is an bootwell and the foam like no 9 in the previous image does seem to have the outline space for a Jack. The Audi dealership said it’s Parts Dept no longer sell a spare wheel or Jack due to emission scandal some years back. We had a 2018 A5 Jack and it just doesn’t fit in the foam space.
I contacted Audi customer services to see how we could get a Jack that fit the foam and spare wheel. I asked for part numbers, they refused and said it’s not policy to give them out. They told me to go to my local Audi. I went there, not the one that sold us the car, and they said the information was greyed out on the computer and that they wouldn’t fit his car anyway so not available. I have gone back to to Audi customer service and waiting. I have contacted a couple of other Audi dealers miles away and they come up with prices of around £290 so it seems to depend on which Audi dealership you go to. How can the price double from what is listed on the Audi website if not ordered when new.
mid anyone out there has the correct part numbers for factory fitted space saver 18” and clamp bolt plus the jack for a 22 plate A3 Vorsprung Saloon I’d be grateful

Attachments

• F74047B3-6776-41C5-BB7C-4087C24E614F.png
    F74047B3-6776-41C5-BB7C-4087C24E614F.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 151
My son bought an A3 saloon Vorsprung 2022 a couple of weeks ago. He asked about the missing spare and Jack, it has an inflation kit. There is an bootwell and the foam like no 9 in the previous image does seem to have the outline space for a Jack. The Audi dealership said it’s Parts Dept no longer sell a spare wheel or Jack due to emission scandal some years back. We had a 2018 A5 Jack and it just doesn’t fit in the foam space.
I contacted Audi customer services to see how we could get a Jack that fit the foam and spare wheel. I asked for part numbers, they refused and said it’s not policy to give them out. They told me to go to my local Audi. I went there, not the one that sold us the car, and they said the information was greyed out on the computer and that they wouldn’t fit his car anyway so not available. I have gone back to to Audi customer service and waiting. I have contacted a couple of other Audi dealers miles away and they come up with prices of around £290 so it seems to depend on which Audi dealership you go to. How can the price double from what is listed on the Audi website if not ordered when new.
mid anyone out there has the correct part numbers for factory fitted space saver 18” and clamp bolt plus the jack for a 22 plate A3 Vorsprung Saloon I’d be grateful
They just wont give you part numbers, I tried everything to get them, luckily a member on here gave me part numbers off his edition 1. The jack and handle price is scandalous and I had to sign to say I take full responsibility if I use it.

Attachments

• A007AD22-B17D-4677-B919-90B3C448A91F.jpeg
    A007AD22-B17D-4677-B919-90B3C448A91F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • AA64FE90-4990-4D0B-8604-43C558A8AE85.jpeg
    AA64FE90-4990-4D0B-8604-43C558A8AE85.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • C8730894-4248-47AC-8D23-155D90D1E831.jpeg
    C8730894-4248-47AC-8D23-155D90D1E831.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 52CC0695-BD80-4E5E-AFA5-1771EA4EC9E5.jpeg
    52CC0695-BD80-4E5E-AFA5-1771EA4EC9E5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • 86BEEDFB-A66A-45D3-A722-3917E9E40767.jpeg
    86BEEDFB-A66A-45D3-A722-3917E9E40767.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 1A78C8D8-6AF9-4B81-B000-444D078AF08D.jpeg
    1A78C8D8-6AF9-4B81-B000-444D078AF08D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 105
  • 0DB85D69-3392-454A-A93A-1FBFBFF6B600.jpeg
    0DB85D69-3392-454A-A93A-1FBFBFF6B600.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: helicopter_red
Just to confirm, as it doesn't seem obvious, what's the part in the plastic bag and the last pic, the black plastic thing - wheel clamp for the recess to secure it?

Just to confirm, as it doesn't seem obvious, what's the part in the plastic bag and the last pic, the black plastic thing - wheel clamp for the recess to secure it?
Sorry should have explained, the part in the bag is the jack handle. Yes you read that correctly the jack and the handle come separately remember you need to order both parts!
the last picture is the plastic bolt that holds the wheel in the recess

Now I know it’s expensive to buy these parts afterwards but remember when you factory order them they remove the tyre repair kit and pump.
Ask your dealership for a price of these it’s shocking the price of that tyre repair kit is.

Sorry should have explained, the part in the bag is the jack handle. Yes you read that correctly the jack and the handle come separately remember you need to order both parts!
the last picture is the plastic bolt that holds the wheel in the recess

Now I know it’s expensive to buy these parts afterwards but remember when you factory order them they remove the tyre repair kit and pump.
Ask your dealership for a price of these it’s shocking the price of that tyre repair kit is.
Thanks for that clarification. I'll buy a 2t rated scissor jack elsewhere like Eurocar parts for under £20. Will probably buy a spare wheel from ebay for in or around £100 and end up buying the plastic bolt new.

The Markings on the wheel say TROC. I wonder whether you can get that wheel cheaper by asking TPS or a VW dealer for a T-Roc spare wheel rather than an A3 one?

That's interesting.
Do you have a spare and a jack?
Mine looks like the original picture shown of the Golf, the polystyrene to the side, either No. 8 or 5 on the picture i posted.
I know my locking key is in there as i have had new tyres fitted, but cant say i have ever seen the jack? i'm assuming its underneath the polystyrene.
As I said, mine came with no. 9, with the compressor and sealant, locking key, and wheel brace all housed in it. There was a slot for the jack and handle, and the velcro to secure it, but the slot was empty.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I asked my dealer to order me a space saver wheel and tyre, which they told me would be over £400, which I accepted at the time, and they told me the wheel was on back order, then they phoned me a week later to say that Audi were refusing to supply the wheels as a part, and that they had to be part of the original spec when the car was ordered. I luckily found a vehicle dismantler on ebay who had an unused one from a 2018 A3, which was unused for £40.
The dealer was able to order me a jack and handle, which cost me about £80-£90.
I also bought the wheel securing screw from a Dealer for about £25.

Just checked mine yes it does have a jack thankfully and it also looks like the parts 8 and 5 are both present with the jack sandwiched between them, i couldnt get it out without taking the spare wheel out, but it does all appear to be present.
Also regarding the jack i noticed it on mine and confirmed it is also on the picture posted above is a universal jack used across VAG
IMG 2020

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100

Can you confirm the wheel/tyre sizes for the S3 spare? A lot of the wheels I've seen on ebay are 16" and although probably fine for the lower end A3s, I expect they wouldn't clear the S3 calipers, so I'm assuming it would need to be 17"/18"?

Not sure if the numbers are correct for all models, so please only use as a guide and check before relying on this information.

Attachments

• Jack parts1.JPG
    Jack parts1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Jack parts2.JPG
    Jack parts2.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Jack parts4.JPG
    Jack parts4.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Jack parts3.JPG
    Jack parts3.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 79
I have an S Line with 18” so not sure if these would go over an s3 calliper

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
I have an S Line with 18” so not sure if these would go over an s3 calliper
I'm guessing 18" would do it, as the standard S3 wheels are 18".

My incoming S3 has the optional red calipers (this was a stock/built car, I wouldn't have optioned them), I'm guessing they're no bigger than the standard ones and you are paying £290 for about 300ml of paint) - can anyone confirm?

Only 19" "spare" rim i can find is this
I thought the spare is 18" whether you have 18" or 19" wheels. The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is the same whether you have 18" or 19" wheels (just a lower profile tyre on the 19"), so you can use the 18" spare with the other three wheels being 19".
As the standard S3 wheels are 18" (calipers painted or not), then the 18" spacesaver fits.

I thought the spare is 18" whether you have 18" or 19" wheels. The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is the same whether you have 18" or 19" wheels (just a lower profile tyre on the 19"), so you can use the 18" spare with the other three wheels being 19".
As the standard S3 wheels are 18" (calipers painted or not), then the 18" spacesaver fits.
Yeah your right about the external diameter, but a 19" rim will give more space internally to clear the brake caliper if they are any bigger than standard S Line calipers.
As all wheel options appear to be similar for S Line and S3 when purchasing the car, i imagine the 18" ones will be the correct ones.
I'm no expert and i don't actually know which ones are the correct ones, I just had some part numbers handy.

I have found an unused Golf 7.5R spare T125/70 R18, part no: 5Q0 601 027 BC at a reasonable price. Assuming it will fit my S3?