1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spare tyre .

Glyn Roberts Nov 28, 2018

1. Glyn Roberts

Glyn Roberts New Member

How long would you expect the get you home wheel to last, if driven to recommended driving speeds ?
    Back on the road at 6AM after blowout on the way home (pothole}
    Im out in the sticks, so please,this is important.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Active Member Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Sportback Audi S5 Black Edition quattro OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

If it's one of those space saver bike wheels then it will last till the tred is at 1.6mm and about to turn illegal... It will then last beyond that.

I did 120miles on one when my tyre blow out when I was said 120miles from home. I had new tyres at home so wasn't going to get ripped off by fitting one at a garage.

Just stick to the speed rating.. think it's 50mph and it should last as long as you need it. Think it's 50 due to heat that builds up. Happy to be corrected though.

Just drive in a manner that suits a lack of grip.

4. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Active Member Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Sportback Audi S5 Black Edition quattro OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

The maximum speed on a space saver is 50mph (80kph) according to European law. However, while some are rated higher (e.g. 80mph), the limit is still 50mph. This is the dry weather speed and if it’s wet you should go slower. The maximum distance you can drive on a space saver tyre is usually marked as around 50 miles (80km) but if necessary they can be driven up to 300 miles (500km) on good surfaces as slow speeds. Preferably, though, the journey will be as short as is possible for you to get to a tyre shop to repair or replace your regular tyre.

Never fit more than one space saver wheel to your car at any time as each space saver reduces your cornering grip by 10-15% and lengthens your braking distance as there’s less rubber in contact with the road. Having a space saver fitted means that you won’t be able to swerve as effectively to avoid an emergency.

When you check the air pressure in your car tyres remember to also check the pressure in the space saver or spare tyre.

Space saver wheels are perfectly safe if you follow the instructions: keep your speed down and don’t drive any further than necessary.

5. ToadConsulting

ToadConsulting Member

My idiot of a brother left one on for 2 weeks once! I'm sure you will be fine

6. Glyn Roberts

Glyn Roberts New Member

Thanks for your help guys. New tyre now on. Just never used one of those things before. Or driven so bloody slow !!!