Spare Key

arp62

Reaction score
I did have a good search around the forum but didn't find an answer to the specific question I have so please do direct me to threads that answer it if there are any!

I just purchased a second hand 2013 A3 which only came with one key, I'm looking to get another one cut just incase I lose it, Audi quoted ~£240 which seems standard from what I've seen online, but a local company have said they can cut just one of the standard non-remote ones for around £70. Does this sound feasible? I would have thought a simple cut key wouldn't work with things like the immobiliser (I don't know much about cars tbh) and surely if it did then I could just get one cut from any key cutters, or do these keys have electronic elements too?

I'm not too bothered about the remote locking functionality as it would only be there for an emergency when I lose the main one. Would I then be able to use the spare to get a new remote key?

I don't mind paying up to around £150 for a remote key but anything above that I feel I might aswell get it from Audi, I read somewhere that Audi will actually create a new key whereas 3rd part companies will just make a clone of the chip in the key you supply them, is this a problem?

Cheers!

AFAIK the dealer is the only person who can supply a key that will unlock and start your car. There's more to it than just the blade, that will work in the door lock but won't deactivate the alarm or immobiliser.

Somebody like @DJAlix will be able to confirm 100% what I've just said

Reactions: DJAlix
I'd be more worried about where the 2nd key is - Make sure there is only one key activated on MMI console, and if there are two, have the missing one deactivated immediately

No one other than a dealership or authorised 3rd party services provider, like myself, can supply you with a fully working key. VW Group have not released the needed key information to parties who do not use their official software. Only a dealership or yourself can order up a pre-cut key as you would need to provide the v5c and other ID. Once you have the key you can open the locks via the blade but the remote functions will not work. You will also not be able to start the car until the key has been coded to your vehicle.

If you can get to North London I can both order, subject to your providing ID, a pre-cut key and then code it to your vehicle. Email hello@vagcarcoding.com with your vehicles details if you would like a quote.

Something to note. Your vehicle probably has two keys coded to it at the moment. Might be worth visiting an authorised party in order to have the missing key removed.

Reactions: Matchman54 and Tom.H