Spacers, what a minefield!

rafletcher

Reaction score
Well maybe exaggerating a bit :grinning: But after googling on and off for a couple of days, and deciding 10mm all round (on my 19x8j ET49’s) would be doable (I’m going to use the Racingline stud conversion, and that maxes out at 10mm) I started looking at spacers. Decided H&R hub entries are the way to go - but wait; why are there so many sets of the same thickness suitable for my car on offer? Ah, now I find out that there are versions with 4x45 and 6x45 degree chamfers, and for different maximum hub heights! So I think my wheels (both winter and summer) are 6x45, so that’s good. Can’t see for the life of me what difference a 12mm and 15mm hub height would make. ETA - I guess it’s so the existing hub doesn’t stick out the other side of the spacer.​

Last edited:
Well maybe exaggerating a bit :grinning: But after googling on and off for a couple of days, and deciding 10mm all round (on my 19x8j ET49’s) would be doable (I’m going to use the Racingline stud conversion, and that maxes out at 10mm) I started looking at spacers. Decided H&R hub entries are the way to go - but wait; why are there so many sets of the same thickness suitable for my car on offer? Ah, now I find out that there are versions with 4x45 and 6x45 degree chamfers, and for different maximum hub heights! So I think my wheels (both winter and summer) are 6x45, so that’s good. Can’t see for the life of me what difference a 12mm and 15mm hub height would make. ETA - I guess it’s so the existing hub doesn’t stick out the other side of the spacer.​
Why you want spacers don't understand. ET49 , 19'', 8j is just spot on same what I have. Only what you need is 255 wide tyres on front and 235 wide rears.. You might try limit 245 rear but that will be very close to fender.. and wheels will be nice n flush with wings..

Why you want spacers don't understand. ET49 , 19'', 8j is just spot on same what I have. Only what you need is 255 wide tyres on front and 235 wide rears.. You might try limit 245 rear but that will be very close to fender.. and wheels will be nice n flush with wings..
You are very very wrong. Audi/vw make this 19x8 et49 very conservative fit with the wheel very in the wheel wells. Ecs sells a kit just for this and I believe the sizing is 12mm up front and 17.5mm in the rears. THIS IS SPOT ON. I had those oem wheels and used 10mm/f 15mm/b and were nice. Do your homework before hand....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

You are very very wrong. Audi/vw make this 19x8 et49 very conservative fit with the wheel very in the wheel wells. Ecs sells a kit just for this and I believe the sizing is 12mm up front and 17.5mm in the rears. THIS IS SPOT ON. I had those oem wheels and used 10mm/f 15mm/b and were nice. Do your homework before hand....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Well I did my homework
And I don't know why you saying am very wrong.. Have you ever seen Audi company putting spacers on? Ask them what they will tell you..
Just read here : https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/why-you-should-not-fit-wheels-spacers/

And here :https://www.fitmentindustries.com/blogs/13/are-wheel-spacers-actually-safe

And also here ;

Reactions: N.J.H
If you using spacers you destroying completely geometry of quattro because your tyre will not be in centre anymore ..
You basically add more tyre outside and less inside..
But if you would fit wider tyre, for example from 235 to 255 the 20mm difference will be divided so inside will be 10mm wider and outside another 10mm and you still maintaining wheel to have in centre.. And will give you nice look what you only after... :)

One advantage of spacers if I decide I don’t like the result, I’ll probably be able to recoup most of my outlay. A bit more inconvenient, not to say costly, to have (in my case) 5 tyres to swap about. You’ll also note that even Audi fit rims with different ET values to the same vehicle, so the centreline of the rim/tyre is not a given constant, albeit the variations are limited.

One advantage of spacers if I decide I don’t like the result, I’ll probably be able to recoup most of my outlay. A bit more inconvenient, not to say costly, to have (in my case) 5 tyres to swap about. You’ll also note that even Audi fit rims with different ET values to the same vehicle, so the centreline of the rim/tyre is not a given constant, albeit the variations are limited.
Well there are variety of wheels we could talk about it for hours.. but what audi recons that should be.. zero offset is best, of course we want little bit upgrade but
I would rather use wider tyres than spacers. I wanted to install 255 tyres all round but in the rear there is no space only if I trim or cut bit of fender. Currently I have 235 all round and I want upgrade fronts to 255 and rears to 245 so 0.5mm will be wider inside and 0.5mm outside so it will be very very close to fender :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_082504.jpg
    IMG_20200601_082504.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 111
  • wheel-offset-1024x599.jpg
    wheel-offset-1024x599.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 113