Space saver wheel

Oddfin

Reaction score
hi guys,
Finally took delivery of my S1 the other day and luv it. Going to france in a couple of weeks and didn't want to be without a spare so went to the dealers to ask about a space saver, I know it won't fit under the boot floor but just wanted to bung it in the back of the car when I left. Dealers said I couldn't use a s,saver as it wouldn't actually fit on to my car??? Doesn't sound right to me, any thoughts. ( have 17s on it )

Reactions: kevin lewis
the owners manual says different, it shows (page 160 - 162) the spare wheel in the S1 as being stored on a special carrier on the back seat and it certainly does not look like a full size wheel. i have an A1 space saver from the A1 we traded, if i get time i will try it on the S1 this weekend and see if there are any issues

the owners manual says different, it shows (page 160 - 162) the spare wheel in the S1 as being stored on a special carrier on the back seat and it certainly does not look like a full size wheel. i have an A1 space saver from the A1 we traded, if i get time i will try it on the S1 this weekend and see if there are any issues
I had two men from the parts dept at my local dealers checking their computers etc and offering up two different size s,savers to the car over the space of 30 mins or so and concluded that a s,saver won't fit, you have just proved them wrong, thanks for your time taken to check it out, it will be a relief to be able to Carry spare for my trip. Mentioned this to a friend who has a merc SL63 and a porche cayenne neither of his cars has a spare wheel so it's not just Audi that does this, was surprised his cayenne didn't have one though. Thanks again.

before i got the audi i had an astra gtc vxr,again that had no spare either.you couldnt get a s,saver either because the brakes where to big.

have tried fitting the A1 space saver (2011 1.4 tfs1 185 3 dr) and the wheel does not fit, too tight around the caliber, whilst i was there i tried fitting the 16" winter wheels which do fit, the tyre pressure guidance not on the drivers door does give a pressure rating for a "T125/60 R18" which i would assume would be a space saver spare?
Conflict
Door label
Space
Winter

Thanks for taking the time time to check it all out, can't beleive the dealers havnt a clue about anything relating to a spare wheel for the S1. Am now considering just buying a cheap 17" alloy and leaving it on the rear seat in a plastic bag ( only for my french trip ) I think a s,saver from audi is around £200 and I would think the case/bag for the S1 is more money on top of that, when I'm back in England I often go over to france for a few days to see friends so I will feel better having the spare wheel with me for those trips but fingers crossed I will never need it. Thanks again monty!

This will be one of the reasons I will not buy the S1 ! A shame as in many respects it would fit what I want. Think I will go to a S3 instead....

****** , no mention of a spare for S3 either. So the Golf R is looking more and more interesting ... If they can fit one to a R why not an S3 .
I suppose I can buy one , but why should I.....

****** , no mention of a spare for S3 either. So the Golf R is looking more and more interesting ... If they can fit one to a R why not an S3 .
I suppose I can buy one , but why should I.....

the S3 comes with a space saver in the boot as standard

conorA,
thanks for that. I could not see it in the brochure. Went to three dealers and not one S3 to look at...

I've never once been bothered about not having a spare (oddfin I can understand where you are coming from considering your road trip)

My A1 never had a spare either, when I got a puncture I just phoned Audi, within half an hour the RAC were with me and had plugged it for me to drive to a garage, the same amount of time, if not less time, as it would take to change the wheel at the side of the road.

I've never once been bothered about not having a spare (oddfin I can understand where you are coming from considering your road trip)

My A1 never had a spare either, when I got a puncture I just phoned Audi, within half an hour the RAC were with me and had plugged it for me to drive to a garage, the same amount of time, if not less time, as it would take to change the wheel at the side of the road.
If it takes you over half an hour to change a wheel I can understand why you wouldn't want one, best you stick with the tin of foam.

If you were paying attention you would see I said 'within half an hour' not over. You might want to read it again.

If you were paying attention you would see I said 'within half an hour' not over. You might want to read it again.
Any person without a handicap could change a wheel long before the RAC showed up, I don't know what your deficiencies are but as I said before, you're better sticking with your tin of foam.

Don't know if there are any "write off" S1 in UK as the car is still relatively new..may be better to get one of those wheel/tyre as spare instead of buying a space saver from the dealer. Don't know if the space saver wheel has the pressure monitor sensor in it?

The TPMS is ABS based, not sensor. It works out a tyre us flat due to faster rotation thanks to its smaller circumference

Always learn something new...my old Chrsyler 300C's wheels has a pressure sensor inside and gives tyre pressure readings, so even very slow puncture can be detected. Sold the "unreliable" car years ago, replaced it with the Mazda CX9.

The ABS version goes off after about a 10% pressure loss, so even a slow puncture is detected within a couple of days.
The only downside is you don't get to see exact pressures, and you can't remotely monitor the health of the spare (not sure if the 300C did but some cars with wheel sensors keep an eye on the spare for you too).
Before I moved my neighbour had a 300C with the Hemi V8, it sounded good, I'll give it that!

I got the 3.0 V6 Turbo Diesel engine in the 300C, blew the turbo twice and the engine was made by Mercedes didn't make any difference. Should have bought the Hemi V8 instead...or the SRT8...