Soundaktor A5 TFSI 190cv (B9) 2018

Sete

Reaction score
Good morning
I have an A5 Sportback TFSI 190cv (B9), it is not equipped with the soundaktor.
Does any of you have it installed in your car ?.
What is the function of the soundaktor really?
Can it be installed as an accessory?

Thank you

Good morning
I have an A5 Sportback TFSI 190cv (B9), it is not equipped with the soundaktor.
Does any of you have it installed in your car ?.
What is the function of the soundaktor really?
Can it be installed as an accessory?

Thank you
Some VW/Audi models have a Soundaktor fitted which emulates a 'pretend' sporty engine/exhaust sound into the cabin. In my view this is the most naff thing you could ever want or have fitted, its akin to a kid making fake engine noises with a toy car. If its a sporty sound you want, buy a sports exhaust and hear the sound for real.

I got the feeling that only the cabriolet version has a soundaktor. I think we established this a few threads ago. It would programming in to the mmi to make it work correctly. But, for the difference it would make, I really doubt if its worth the effort and cost...

Yes I think it’s a lot of work to retrofit for somthing that’s not that good.

I have no idea if my S5 has this or not, I know however that it sounds nice when you start it up and driving through a tunnel with the roof open also sounds good :)

I have no idea if my S5 has this or not, I know however that it sounds nice when you start it up and driving through a tunnel with the roof open also sounds good :)

Nope. S5's don't have them - don't need them ;-)

Can one of you just record your S5 going through a tunnel, I’ll rip it onto a memory stick, then I’ll have my own soundaktor :racer: a lot better than Audi’s for a fraction of the price.

Engines have got quieter because exhaust driven turbos sap them of any interesting noises they might make, thus there are innovative methods made to put them back in again. The worst I feel are the ones that put the 'noise' of a exhaust back in through the speakers.
The focus I once owned had a similar device to Audi's solution but used a vacuum pipe from the engine to make a diafram vibrate which then routed into the cabin through another pipe. The noise got more interesting after I remapped the ecu, presumably because of the increased turbo boost. It was called a symposer..

Exhaust noise and engine noise are two different things.

Soundaktor is for the engine noise. Exhaust flaps are for the exhaust noise. Both work in tandem on Sportier driving modes on the cars I mentioned. But you’re right, turbos certainly have an effect overall but on the exhaust rather than engine sounds.

Yes I stand corrected and I should have said exhausts, not engines, have got quieter, as turbos sap the nice noises exhausts can make. Then there are catalytic convertors and resonator boxes that all play a part in muffling the sound.

But only have to listen to the current f1 cars, compared to the pre-hybrid days, to know how much quieter turbo engines are now...

Nope. S5's don't have them - don't need them ;-)

I was wrong (sorry all) - found it today (after posts on this thread) - tucked away behind an expansion tank on the S5 - now disconnected, so we'll see if it makes a difference.