Sound systems

Benji

Reaction score
:sos:I have the Bose stereo option in mine, with the symphoney double din head unit. It sounds good, however I am used to ALOT more. has anyone had any experiance fitting after market kit to this layout? are the speakers amped or will they run of http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F900BT/index.html just as well? I am looking at using steg + audio sytem. Any experiances shared will be really useful. thanks in advance.

http://english.gttrading.it/easysite/audio_system2.asp?Marchio=Audio :rock:

post pictures of any installs, how have you fitted them in?

there is plenty of info on there, but in summary the factory stuff is pants, the amp is low powered and the 'sub' is built from a tupperware box (anymac phrase)
- the sub for either bose or non-bose sounds like there is a small animal in the box knocking on the lid trying to get out, rather than produce any bass notes.

in my own very humble opinion, the head unit isnt that bad, and i like the oem look so have kept the rns-e and use a phatnoise instead of a cd changer. - there is no point changing the head without replacing the speakers and amp.

the oem speakers are 2ohm (bose) so the amp is too upderpowered (and doesnt have a flat response anyway) so you need to replace amp and speakers

i have replace the bose system entirely, upgraded front door speakers (focal utopia), rear speakers and 5 channel amp in the rear with a stealth sub in the wheel well.

people can argue all day about A is better than B, and better screened wires and upgraded speaker wires are a must, but generally any aftermarket speakrs and amp sounds 10x or 100x better than oem,

however the response of the a3 cabin has a massive resonance and cabin gain peak at around 50-55hz even with a sealed enclosure sub, resulting in a peak of 20db or more - without any correction the bass tends to sound thumpy and not too musical because of this - like a tuned box that isnt big enough with a large undamped hump in the response. there is another hump in the cabin respose at around 700-800hz that can make the upper-mid sound harsh as well and these reponses will be there with any speaker system.

to correct properly you need an equalizer of some sort such as the kicker 1/3 octave (cheap but analogue) or a digital sound processor (there are quite a few to choose from with auto setup routines) - the sound processors can do time correction between the various speakers as well as frequency response so are probably better

there are lots of options depending on whether you want to keep the head unit and how much money to spend and inconvenience to install:

-for bose all the speakers are powered from the amp so ideally you would replace the amp and door speakers and use a proper sub (stealth or not) - the remote power, line-out and speaker wires are available at the bose amp connector so you can use there , just add a decent power line for the new amp. - simple but very effective.

i kept the rns-e with phatbox, disconnected the front centre speaker and added:
focal utopia front components
CDT rear components
genesis profile 5 amplifier
stealth sealed box sub with elemental design 9kv2
alpine pxe-hx650 sound processor (500 channel digital processor with auto setup)

I'm going to be changing mine.

Got a alipne 4x60w HU and that is connected via an adapter to the bose amps and its crap...(well, i mean not so good when turned up!)

I'm just glad i got my 4000w RE XXX Sub to make it sound good.

But Im getting infinity components front and back and that should sort me out! Going to be running them off a JBL GTO 600w Amp :D (I had the infinitys with the jbl in my Golf and they were awesome...they were loud and clear without distorting at when loud!)

BTW, if you do get an aftermarket HU, do not connect straight it to the speakers as they are 2ohm (as mentioned above), you need to replace them with the HU. You could ruin your HU if you dont change the speakers :D

I have a fully changed system in mine:

Becker GP Head unit
Focal K2P components
Audio Control EQL
Genesis dual mono
Genesis 4ch
Diamond m6 10"
street wires wiring

awesome sounding system if I do say so myself!

Kaz - you are a brave boy having the XXX, you must like your SPL lol I had a RE SE sub and it was excellent but the Diamond 10" is much more crisp and the SQ is superior!

IMG_3567.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

boydie that looks awesome mate, the sub i am guessing there is a sub box underneath? i got a sub in my boot but i love to install the sub the way you have, how easy is it to do that?

I have a fully changed system in mine:

Becker GP Head unit
Focal K2P components
Audio Control EQL
Genesis dual mono
Genesis 4ch
Diamond m6 10"
street wires wiring

awesome sounding system if I do say so myself!

Kaz - you are a brave boy having the XXX, you must like your SPL lol I had a RE SE sub and it was excellent but the Diamond 10" is much more crisp and the SQ is superior!

IMG_3567.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

where you put your shopping ?

Boydie that is very impressive, you put us all to shame. I presume that was a pro install? or did you do it yourself?

My shopping goes in the back seat!

Yeah, its a pro install done by a local audio company who have had manys a mag feature and won several UK awards - they are top notch! The subbox is located where the spare wheel should be!

I have done instals by myself which have turned out ok but this install is far better!

Thanks for the comments (oh, I did the focal/bose speaker grills myself!)

You've got a boot..well..you can put your shopping around the sub if you cover it :p

I've got a massive 3.5 cubic ft box with a tiny space at the side where my uni bag snuggly fits :p

Old Skoool Babyy :p

I tuned mine to around 33hz so its pretty crisp and thumping but may sell up. Too ****** heavy...my car looks lowered on the rear when its not lol (Also, my type r is dying for a engine but the A3 keeps taking the money lol!)

Also, I'm sure my hearing ability isnt what it use to be :p

EDIT: Add in classifieds for my install :p

come on guys? I was hoping this thread would spark more to put pictures of their install on here and the set up? have not many ppl done a good sound system? is it to much hassel in the a3?

Its not a hassle but its not really a car that the majority of owners would choose to modify - a BOSE system for a lot of people is more than enough

Boydie is right. I have fitted pretty good systems in all my past cars but have Bose in the S3 and it's ok for now. Maybe one day though!

In saying that, I thought the non bose system was quite good for what it was. I was really impressed to find out that there was a standard sub in the car when I first got it!

Agree with Boydie and the A3s not a car people chose to fiddle with too much - theyre nice cars anyways.

But then there people like me :D

I've got TV's, Speakers, Amps and all sorts to go in mine (just need a decent DVD screen) but been dying to get mine mapped which should happen, then wheels, then lowering, then a decent kit and then I'll start on the ICE :D

But check out www.talkaudio.co.uk for tips on ICE. Beware - theres lowds of chavs with saxos and corsas and dont take advise of them (i nearly got persuaded to rip the back seats in my old car lol) :p

don't get me wrong the bose ain't bad. I have just had italian imported amps in the bast out of competition cars and mb quart speakers so quite premium kit. and was hoping for some inspiration to see what others had done.

If I was to do it again, I would do it a bit diferently.

I would keep up front the same but the boot layout would have the sub in the position of the standard sub and amps on the opposite side - basically above the rear wheels with a logo of some sort on the boot mat or have the amps mounted in the tyre well.

PLEASE HELP:readit:

I am about to buy some really sexy speakers to replace the bose ones. then i realised i have no idea how much physical space is in the door cards of an audi a3 8p 3door.

was thinking of getting http://english.gttrading.it/easysit...&Gamma=HX line&Modello=REFERENCE SYSTEMS&pg=1 let me know if you have had any experiances.

whilst i got ya i also need to know what size and ofset of alloys fit straight on?

Thanks in advance guys:yahoo::blackrs4:

Hi mate

you need to get adapter rings made up from MDF.

If you pull your door card off, and pace the speaker in with the window down, leave around a 0.5mm gap and measure the distance and thats the thickness of the MDF requires.

I've never heard of those but i have DLS R6A which are awesome and also, focal and rainbox are really good!

As a general note when replacing the speakers on an A3, I would recommend that you use some form of moisture protection for the speakers.

You can get products that will protect the rear of the speakers from moisture but not effect the sound. I would also paint or varnish any MDF rings that you use as you do get moisture in the inner skin of the door on the A3.

Paul

i have just upgraded all mine :) .

now have a full MTX set up through out 2 set of components, 2 amps and 2 10" subs.

full split charge system and a power cap to each amp.

ia there anyone who makes the adaptors for the doors? is it easy to remove the head unit? and are the rear quater speakers difficult to get to on a 3 door model? where is the gap in the bulk head to feed the power into the engine bay? thanks again guys:w00t:

Anyone managed to install their sound system equipment and allow access to the spare wheel?

Hi all,
new to the site! ur install is nice still!
i will post sum pics of my car soon!
but iver got a Directed d2400 on 4xpioneer 1000w peak (think rms is 350) a 800 kenwood amp on alpine door speakers and pioneer 6x9s and kenwood tweeters!
will post some pics 4 u guys soon

I'm happy with my BOSE system however I really want to replace my headunit with the Alpine i-pod i bought.

I only have one problem though, i dont know what adaptor plug to buy!
The options are fully amplified or rear amplified. Is there a way that i can find out which applies to my car without stripping it to bits cos really i cant be *****!!!

I have a 2004 A3 1.6 sport!

:icon_thumright: