Sound system Woes

thestore

Reaction score
Hi - first time poster.

Just traded in my 2006 A4 Cab for a brand new A3. Didn't have time to wait for a factory order due to personal circumstances and couldn't afford any options other than satnav. My dealer managed to source my the car I wanted straight away (2.0L Diesel Sport 150PS Black Sat Nav).

Loving it so far - nice driving something modern. My only problem is the Soundsystem. It seems to have a limiter on and stops it going to any kind of decent volume and the bass is poor. I had previously been spoilt with the BOSE sound system in my A4 however I have had various rentals cars over the last year and they all had better sound systems than my A3.

Has anyone upgraded their sound system after purchase? I'm considering just a sub - perhaps under seat or tucked away in the side of the boot?

Is there anyway to de-activate the limiter on the standard sound system?

Thanks

I feel your pain, the standard system is quite poor even compared with other cars' standard systems. I can't directly advise but there have been a few threads here discussing exactly the same topic of trying to upgrade. Try some searches and you will find them.

Thanks for your reply. I've done a search but can only find comparisons between the different types of sound system - can't seem to find any threads on adding a sub?

I'm not sure if it can be fitted but the Mk 7 VW Golf had an optional accessory (after-market) of a sub-woofer fitted in the spare wheel well just as is fitted with the Audi Sound System and B&O. Maybe worth enquiring with your dealer?

Reactions: thestore and Sandra
I saved this from another page apparently if you take wire out and put it there on diagram it cancels the limited and its twice as loud!! Hope this helps!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414256564418.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414256564418.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 430
Reactions: thestore
That looks like RNS-E on the 8P, and not the 5F unit in the 8V ?

Can anyone clarify? This would be awesome!

Reactions: AllanG
@thestore , welcome to audi-sport.net. Hooe you enjoy your new car and the forum. :) x

@veeeight , here you go. no charge, lol, i now have tea all down my tshirt. :) x

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89 and veeeight
This was the VW Plug & Play Sound System accessory I mentioned above.

Pages from volkswagen accessories 2

Reactions: thestore and mjcourtney
That would be awesome! I guess it replaces the spare wheel though? Can't find one for the A3 yet. I may just fit an under the seat sub with built in amp if I can't find anything better.

If anyone can work out how to disable the limiter I'd be eternally grateful!

Is the standard sound system already likely to have a connection for something?

Couldn't say for certain, but might be worth pulling up a few trim panels in the boot to see if there are any unused connections in there?

Reactions: thestore