Sound from rear wheel area when moving off after not using car for a few days

s1214lang

Reaction score
Hi all

My first post here. It is regarding a 2010 A3 Sportback. Bought it 7 months ago now.

Have been noticing this for a while (maybe a couple of months). When I use my car after a day of not using it (i.e. not on consecutive days), with at least a day of non-usage between usages, I hear this sound from the rear right wheel area. The sound only comes just before I move off, and before the wheel starts to move. It's almost as if there is a build up of something, and it is breaking free when the wheel starts to move.

This sound is not there if I use the car everyday. And it only comes just before I move off, and I don't hear it again. It's only from the rear right wheel area. Also, the longer I leave the car without using, the louder the sound is. The other day, I used the car after 4 days from the previous usage (which was the longest non-usage period since I've had the car), and it was the loudest, and I recorded it as an audio clip (have linked it below - hopefully it works). Also recorded a video of the rear wheel, this time it was after a 1 day gap, and sound was definitely not as loud as when it was used after 4 days of non-usage (have attached that as well).

I will be getting it serviced in a week or so, and wanted to take your advice on what it could possibly be. Then at least I can get it checked when I take it in for service.

Really appreciate any advice. Have added the voice recording and the video to a shared google drive folder.

Google Drive

The voice recording is after a 4 day gap. I recorded this by placing my phone behind the driver's seat, on the door sill, with the passenger door open. The first sound you here is me putting the car into reverse gear, and parking sensors turning on.

The video is of the rear right wheel, after a 1 day gap.

Btw, the sound comes irrespective of whether I go forward or backward when I am moving off.

Thanks a lot.

Just off the video; It's very likely that it's just your pads/brakes, happens on lots of cars. Usually nothing to worry about, it's when they sit wet for a couple of days.

You'll probably be due some new pads or discs

Mine does this did it today in fact, when the cars not been used

Probably pads are wet when parked, rust forms pretty quickly, but after a few applications of the brakes the rust and water well have been swept and evaporated with use.

Probably pads are wet when parked, rust forms pretty quickly, but after a few applications of the brakes the rust and water well have been swept and evaporated with use.
Just off the video; It's very likely that it's just your pads/brakes, happens on lots of cars. Usually nothing to worry about, it's when they sit wet for a couple of days.

You'll probably be due some new pads or discs

Thanks for the quick reply.

So does that mean, the rust just forms again and again?

Being only on one of the wheels, does it mean a replacement will be due soon?

Thanks again.

The rust will reform because rotors do not have a high nickel content to make more corrosion resistant, but affecting braking characteristics for given pads. Because noise is in the back as the previous poster said, you might have a sticky cable which is a good call as well. Release safety brake in the morning then reapply slowly, if cable is sticking the effort will be very light as the excess slack will give no resistance. As for peace of mind some shops will do a safety inspection for free or at low cost fee.

Last edited:
The rust will reform because rotors do not have a high nickel content to make more corrosion resistant, but affecting braking characteristics for given pads. Because noise is in the back as the previous poster said, you might have a sticky cable which is a good call as well. Release safety brake in the morning then reapply slowly, if cable is sticking the effort will be very light as the excess slack will give no resistance. As for peace of mind some shops will do a safety inspection for free or at low cost fee.

Thanks for that. Will give it a go. Due for service soon anyway

Gave it a go. The cable doesn't seem to be sticking; or I can't actually tell. Am getting it serviced soon, can get it checked then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple test to try when you park your car leave it in gear with hand brake disengaged then next morning pull away as normal and listen for noise .
This way your had brake cable will be loose and no pads will be touch the back disc's

Reactions: LEE69
Simple test to try when you park your car leave it in gear with hand brake disengaged then next morning pull away as normal and listen for noise .
This way your had brake cable will be loose and no pads will be touch the back disc's

That's a good shout. Have put it in gear, with handbrake disengaged. Will not be using it for a couple of days now (I walk to work). Will listen for the sound then.

I can really just sit in the car and press the clutch, without having to start it. It'll then start rolling away, and I can then be on the lookout for the sound.

Thanks

So tried it now after 2 days. Heard the sound again. Car was in first gear for the last 2 days, no handbrake engaged. Not sure now...

Mine does i'm not worried, if it's freewheeling easily just keep an eye on it