SOS! Help with funky smell and smoke-- A4 Avant

Originally posted by MichaelJP:
I'm thinking of getting a Caterham
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was seriously considering getting a 330d sport touring and an R500 on a trailer. It is simply amazing, and you can shod one with four new gumballs for £200
grin.gif

Originally posted by a1-blaster:
That price SUCKS.

Now way is it worth it 50% premium for less bits
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I seem to remember predicting that price several times before....
wink.gif

For sure it's not "worth" it but 400 people in UK will pay it and for the first year not lose a lot of money at all.

At the end of the day BMW is a business and if you can sell exactly how many CSL's you want at a price/margin you want-well that's their choice. We might not agree but they will still achieve what they want from this car.

They are not listening to the customers however, only the dealer network and the opinion of the Marketing Department.....
mad.gif

Im going the same route... M5 and Caterham if someone will buy my porsche
cry.gif

Anyone remember the price for the street version of the M3 GTR and how many they sold in Europe? /RS2

m3_gtr_3.jpg

BMW, what about one of these under the hood in my CSL? /RS2

smileyxmas.gif
smileyxmas.gif

attachment.php

Well, whatever we all think I expect that BMW will sell every single one of them from day-one.

Thats a shed load of money
frown.gif

Not doubting Gareth but I would like to see what BMW press release states

Means savings the pennies and then some to purchase one of them

Right I'm off to go busking on the nearest street corner.

£60k is silly money. More than a 911.

Helping me make up my mind about my change-over strategy in the interim, though.

Had it been sensible money, available in March/April, I would have had a dilema (assuming I am one of the favoured few).

As it is, I will go with the standard (Estoril) one, I think...

£60k...silly money

Good residuals though, no doubt...

Originally posted by Peritas:
Thats a shed load of money
frown.gif

Not doubting Gareth but I would like to see what BMW press release states

Means savings the pennies and then some to purchase one of them

Right I'm off to go busking on the nearest street corner.
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tadhg

Any BMW press release will coincide with the confirmation e-mail to those on the order bank.

As I stressed the £60k price is not confirmed but according to all my sources, "99% likely". At £60k it brings all kind of more exotic cars- and combinations of cars- to compare to.

I still think it will be an awesome car but I for one couldn't justify a £60k iron clad investment as my only car.....could always buy another MINI as the main car I guess
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Originally posted by Brogan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gareth:
Tadhg
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Excuse my ignorance but what does Tadhg stand for?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's his name....
rolleyes.gif
finger.gif

hehe
smile.gif

Originally posted by RS2:
BMW, what about one of these under the hood in my CSL? /RS2

smileyxmas.gif
smileyxmas.gif

attachment.php
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">RS2,
Are you saying what I think you're saying?

Cheers Careth

Tadhg is my name
From Ireland been so tis a "proper Irish name",
ITs pronounced like Tiger, just drop the "er" bit.

love.gif

Gareth
From your sources do know how long the production run will be
Is it for 1 year only or will they make them in limited numbers for a few years ?

I'm serously thinking of getting one, but only if it is a seriously more focused car. More involving, more awareness of whats actually going on and a less flattering car to ham fister drivers.

I loved the M3 and it was awesome, but well I thought it was just a bit well "flat"
Brialliant at everything but not outstanding in any one area.

Another question any possibility of importing one ?

Thanks
Mr. T

[ 13 December 2002, 09:41: Message changed or edited by: Peritas ]

when i placed the deposit my dealer told me 80,000 euros which worked out to be about £50k.

If the price is £60k then I would be in a bit of a quandry. Whilst the CSL will be awesome can I really justify that money on a car that shares the same basic body shape as a 318? for me the most important element of a car is hanlding/performance but it must also be special - it must make me look out of the window of my house and think "phwoar". My current M3 is damned good but i dont know if it could be £20k better??

so many alternatives are on offer, you cant ignore the 911, the maser, or even nobles!

on the plus side, i would imagine residuals would be rock solid(unlike engine build quality). who lnows, i could even make money!

just the thoughts of a potential csl buyer.

Spencer

I echo your sentiments entirely.

I will probably take my CSL and run it for a short time before, very reluctantly
cry.gif
, selling it...for a small profit maybe..or maybe not..
wink.gif

Originally posted by Gareth:
Ok these points are not 100% confirmed by BMW GB but I have them from a very good source, and I believe that they are pretty damn close to the facts-which are yet to be confirmed publicly by BMW AG and in turn BMW GB.

Ok here we go;

1. M3 CSL confirmed for limited production in 2003.

2. RHD for UK cars.

3. Launched in June 2003-UK.

4. Allocation for UK= 400 cars

5. Current order bank= 600 orders/e-mail registrations.

6. UK list price= £59,950

7. Spec- TBC but Air con and electric windows standard.

8. Colour- One only-not yet decided.

9. Announcement of spec/details to the UK order bank- End of Dec '02-end Jan '03

Gareth.
<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can validate all of these points apart from price based on discussions I have had with BMW representatives. A £59k price would be a bit higher than expected, but I would pay it for a limited production more focused M3. Those of you who become incredulous at the thought of approaching 911 prices need to realise that the M3 is significantly underpriced to start with. I have owned several 911s including the present 996 and have a Porsche in my garage together with the M3. The M3 feels better made, at least as expensive to look at and drive and is faster and more fun. The only difference is the value of the brand name. After years of paying well over £70k for 911s I would still regard £60k for a CSL as good value.

Assuming the info obtained by Gareth is accurate and there are 600 potential customers for 400 cars I wonder how they will be allocated. Sounds like the rumoured price might self-select a few to drop out, otherwise the obvious criteria would be "first-come first-served". However, speaking with my dealer it seems that the information they supplied to BMW included that which would allow BMW to assess the quality of the customer order - i.e. have they placed a deposit?, what cars have they bought from BMW recently? It seems that BMW want to try and avoid supplying cars to speculators who then sell-on for a margin.

I assume everyone knows that BMW recently 'did a mercedes' and required all dealers to re-apply for their franchises. Apparently 25 dealers lost theirs (so number of UK dealerships will now be down to 132) and that only 5 dealers were awarded the highest rating (Green). I wonder if this will affect the allocation of 'special' cars such as the CSL? (i.e. those customers of dealers that BMW value/trust gaining preference)
wink.gif

Presumably many of you will be buying the CSL for track events ?

Shall we start the track day warranty debate up again .........

I wonder what BMWs view will be considering this car is quite obviously built for such events.

GuyT

My source expects half of the 600 order bank to disappear when the price/spec is confirmed to them.

Don't forget that a lot of those 600 will be time wasters/pure speculators.

I need help! Last week I started smelling something funny from the rear of my car and today it began to pour a gray smoke with the smell. It appears to be coming from the rear driver side and is a burning smell. What could be some possible causes for this? It's a 2000 Avant 2.8 that was last fully serviced in April (30,000 mile service). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

It could be the brakes or handbrake that is sticking, this would give that kind of symptoms...