SOS Call malfunction contact workshop

Hello, new to this site and just taken delivery of an A3 35 TFSI sport saloon s-tronic (8YS model). Today I got the dreaded 'SOS go to the workshop message'. Also the drive select button does not do anything and the sat nav is not present. Voorsprung berk technique I believe lol. Drives and looks nice though and economy is not bad too. With regards to rejecting a vehicle is it best to keep the finance as I was about to pay it all off and how long do I have to reject the car (as in for the duration of the standard warranty) ? Cheers, Dan

Reactions: Mryolon
Hello, new to this site and just taken delivery of an A3 35 TFSI sport saloon s-tronic (8YS model). Today I got the dreaded 'SOS go to the workshop message'. Also the drive select button does not do anything and the sat nav is not present. Voorsprung berk technique I believe lol. Drives and looks nice though and economy is not bad too. With regards to rejecting a vehicle is it best to keep the finance as I was about to pay it all off and how long do I have to reject the car (as in for the duration of the standard warranty) ? Cheers, Dan
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're yet another one with the SOS call malfunction. I haven't heard of the Drive Select not working before on the new A3.
Regarding rejection within 30 days you can get full refund. After that it's still possible. You have right to reject under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Contact your Dealership and Audi Finance if that is who it is with. Also contact Audi UK.
There is a fix on the way for the SOS call malfunction....probably by end of the year I guess. A short term fix that worked for me was to press the red SOS button in roof for 50 seconds or until it attempts to manually call then press Cancel on the MMI. That removed the warning light and everything worked again.

Reactions: Daniel43CR and AdamInKent
Hey Dan,

There is an update available to fix the drive select issue. It's been out for over a month so strange your dealer did not install it before delivery.

The SOS fix Mark mentioned is shown in my video:

As for rejection, keeping it on finance will make it a bit easier, a friend of mine just rejected his car over the SOS fault which Audi have mentioned in writing that they have no planned date for this.

My honest advice around the SOS is see how often it occurs and if it's a real pain.

I've learned to live with it in the short term as the car is lovely for me otherwise.

P.S if you haven't subscribed to my channel already - make sure you do :)

All the best

Auzzam

Reactions: Daniel43CR, Mryolon and AdamInKent
make your audi centre aware of it. as others have said, the first 30 days are easy, there’s normally a bit more complication in the following 6+ months, but because they are aware they are shipping vehicles with a defect you should be fine (this is based on legal advice i’ve taken). audi uk have told me end of october for when a fix is estimated…

Reactions: Daniel43CR, Mryolon and AdamInKent
Hi All ,

Like others I have the exact same problem,. I took delivery of my A3 1.5 S-line on April and since then I been getting the SOS Alarm and both drivers display and infotainment display re-initialising. Took it to the dealer who couldn't do much about it and i managed to secure £500 from Audi UK as a goodwill gesture.

I live in East London and every time I drive, I get the alarm and the screen re-initialising minimum 3 - 4 times on my way to work or picking up the Wife from work. So i know exactly when it going to happen.

I actually managed to find a work around to stop the alarm and also to stop the screen from initialising all the time. This works for me and I wanna find out if this works for others.

To those that have the same issues as me, login as your guest account in the car and drive as normal. I did this to see if it makes a difference and for about week now I haven't had the problem return all whilst going to work as normal and picking up the Wife and driving in the hotspots where it should act up.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Mryolon
Hi All ,

Like others I have the exact same problem,. I took delivery of my A3 1.5 S-line on April and since then I been getting the SOS Alarm and both drivers display and infotainment display re-initialising. Took it to the dealer who couldn't do much about it and i managed to secure £500 from Audi UK as a goodwill gesture.

I live in East London and every time I drive, I get the alarm and the screen re-initialising minimum 3 - 4 times on my way to work or picking up the Wife from work. So i know exactly when it going to happen.

I actually managed to find a work around to stop the alarm and also to stop the screen from initialising all the time. This works for me and I wanna find out if this works for others.

To those that have the same issues as me, login as your guest account in the car and drive as normal. I did this to see if it makes a difference and for about week now I haven't had the problem return all whilst going to work as normal and picking up the Wife and driving in the hotspots where it should act up.
Same here in Shoreditch.
Haven’t logged in for months and MMi stopped crashing..
just the random sos alert fixed by pressing the button for 20sec.
Any idea about when the fix is being implemented?

Hi All ,

Thanks for the message.
Yes using the Guest account has been suggested to me. I will try it.

also in east london and today drove through two known hot spots for me and reinitialisation didn’t happen. this WAS with it logged into my account. starting to think it’s also weather dependent

Got my car back on the 14/7/21 (went in on 7/7/21) after having the Sat nav and the drive select software installed. SOS warning not appearing since its return, whether they upgraded the software to correct that issue (they say they did) or it is a location dependent fault I don't know. They also fitted a trim panel underneath rear bumper (nearside) that was missing and added a tyre compressor and tyre weld kit that was also missing. Mentioned to them that the front passenger door is a pain to close - their fix was to spray the hinges with lube. Result - door still a problem. There is wind noise coming through said door too, apparently they fixed that too - nope. They also refitted a bit of the chrome trim that was coming away from the offside passenger door.
I did not decide to reject the vehicle in the end but may switch to an A1 35TFSI sport or possibly the A1 40TFSI depending on deal (or availability - have heard there are issues with new car manufacture around computer chip supply ?). Cheers, Dan

I got the delivery of A3 40 TFSIe on Monday and started experiencing the MMI resets and SOS malfunction. One interesting bit to note is that the SOS malfunction issue started only after I logged with myAudi user and set it as a "key user" by entering the key code under the scratch card.

Did anyone had any luck fixing SOS issue by disabling key user and logging out myAudi user? I can really live without Audi connected services if it makes my ride quality better without the anxiety of dealing with SOS malfunction and MMI reset issues.

I got SOS warning pop out few times first after 500 miles .

what is very interested , when it pop up
person on the phone stop hearing me I heard them
waze stop working so must be something with 4g

also car gets feel weird , like i change driving mode its hard to explain but well many errors

The first time I properly drove the car today, the SOS warning came up, just as I was about to enter the Blackwall tunnel (East London). The return leg through the same tunnel didn't have any issues. There was another red symbol, not sure what, appeared bottom right of the screen, will try to find out what it was.

So I have been driving my car in Guest Mode as some have suggested and I still got the same issue...when on a call, the person suddenly can't hear you and then the SOS call malfunction warning appears. Any subsequent calls still have the same issue.
After the car was off for an hour the SOS warning disappeared/reset and all worked normally again.

So I have been driving my car in Guest Mode as some have suggested and I still got the same issue...when on a call, the person suddenly can't hear you and then the SOS call malfunction warning appears. Any subsequent calls still have the same issue.
After the car was off for an hour the SOS warning disappeared/reset and all worked normally again.
yeah, it’s not a fix. my first sos call malfunction and mmi reset happened 5 minutes after first picking up the car from the dealership. hadn’t even had a chance to touch the app or profiles at that point.

Hey so yesterday something else strange happened with the handsfree when on a call. It suddenly became all static/robotic when speaking. Each time someone spoke it sounded like a robot/C3P0. And it was like that for any further calls so was completely unusable. It seemed to reset back to normal after I left the car for a while.

SOS Call malfunction contact workshop​

So - I've owned my car for four weeks - driven 1,400 miles - no gremlins until..
Last night when I was travelling south on the A6 out of Leicester. I got the 'Sos warning light' and message. Pulled other and reset (thanks to those who have posted what to do) and was okay the rest of the drive.
So what is so special about the A6? The mobile reception was fine, can only be something interfering with the signal

So - I've owned my car for four weeks - driven 1,400 miles - no gremlins until..
Last night when I was travelling south on the A6 out of Leicester. I got the 'Sos warning light' and message. Pulled other and reset (thanks to those who have posted what to do) and was okay the rest of the drive.
So what is so special about the A6? The mobile reception was fine, can only be something interfering with the signal
have a look on google maps satellite view around where it happened (if you can remember) and see if there’s a mobile base station. i suspect there will be.

Hi. I stumbled on this forum. Purchased new A3 1.5 Nov 2020. Had two visits to dealer already (who wouldn't give me a lift to the nearest station due to covid and I'm not paying for a loan car). I lost DAB radio (only FM), Sat Nav (The Navigation license has not been purchased) and drive select not functioning (I think someone mentioned that). I also get the Emergency Call function unavailable with little or no bars showing . However leave the car for a while or next day and it comes back - and then duly fails again later!. I also get Loading User settings on the MMI which I think it what other people are describing. At the last visit they fixed the Satnav, drive select and DAB/FM but still left the user setting reloading and Emergency call function fault. I emailed them early July to say I want these items dealt with under warranty but don't consider them earth shattering to book it in again i.e. leave until first service but as long as I don't have to pay. They didn't reply (early July) and I rang the branch (I won't say which) and they said "well they are all very busy with Covid" - nobody has contacted me since. I don't really mind as long as these remaining two items are dealt with without having to pay. It sounds from this threads that these two issues are very common

Reactions: SillyGoose
Hi. I stumbled on this forum. Purchased new A3 1.5 Nov 2020. Had two visits to dealer already (who wouldn't give me a lift to the nearest station due to covid and I'm not paying for a loan car). I lost DAB radio (only FM), Sat Nav (The Navigation license has not been purchased) and drive select not functioning (I think someone mentioned that). I also get the Emergency Call function unavailable with little or no bars showing . However leave the car for a while or next day and it comes back - and then duly fails again later!. I also get Loading User settings on the MMI which I think it what other people are describing. At the last visit they fixed the Satnav, drive select and DAB/FM but still left the user setting reloading and Emergency call function fault. I emailed them early July to say I want these items dealt with under warranty but don't consider them earth shattering to book it in again i.e. leave until first service but as long as I don't have to pay. They didn't reply (early July) and I rang the branch (I won't say which) and they said "well they are all very busy with Covid" - nobody has contacted me since. I don't really mind as long as these remaining two items are dealt with without having to pay. It sounds from this threads that these two issues are very common
Yes, I had no drive select or sat nav when I took delivery of the car. It went back to the dealer a week and a half later and was fixed with upgrades to the software. Car was returned a week later and there were no more problems. I sold the car on Friday in favour of an A1 1.4TFSI DSG 2018 sport. Prefer the dsg gearbox and chuckability of the A1 over the A3. I am sorry to hear that you are getting poor service from the dealer on this. There should be no reason that you will have to pay for the last two items and they should be dealt with under warranty once audi can find a fix. I had to talk to and email the sales manager to get progress with various missing items also. He dealt with things very swiftly and I was finally pleased with the outcomes. Good luck. Cheers, Dan

Has there been issues with the Audi servers (again!)

Yesterday the MyAudi would not connect with my car - kept getting an error "connection error"

noticed that the MMI showed that it had been unable to update.

This evening I got the 'initializing'; message on the MMI - I did a hard reboot when I got home and all seems to be working.

First time I have had issues of this type in the 6 weeks I have owned the car (and I have driven 3,000 miles!)

I've received this letter from Audi after taking my car in to them in early May for this issue. Fingers crossed they release the update and start recalling cars to apply it from end of November

DSC 0124DSC 0125

Reactions: Maddave, Mryolon, AdamInKent and 2 others
I've received this letter from Audi after taking my car in to them in early May for this issue. Fingers crossed they release the update and start recalling cars to apply it from end of November

View attachment 243895View attachment 243896
our A3 is due to be picked up as a return - gave up on the fix after 6 months of no update on fix - a problem that they tried to sweep under the carpet - car was undriveable and their lack of dealing with it outrageous.

Should add - I took ours in in Jan this year! complained to Audi UK and Audi AG to no avail, no dates on fix given just we are aware of the problem.

Reactions: Mryolon and auzzam_crd
Well done for getting that admission and finally some detail on the problem. Their communication has been abysmal. I was told it would be rolled out week 43 so it looks like it's slipped.

Reactions: nuggett

That's positive! Finally some written confirmation. Although I was told the fix was due in may, then June and then no fixed date.

Do you mind if I share this with my YouTube viewerso? Might help out the 10,000 or people who have viewed my SOS video.

That's positive! Finally some written confirmation. Although I was told the fix was due in may, then June and then no fixed date.

Do you mind if I share this with my YouTube viewerso? Might help out the 10,000 or people who have viewed my SOS video.
Sure, it's a generic letter so no personal or car specific details can be leaked so happy for you to do that, although don't shoot the messenger if things take longer! :laugh:

Thanks for the video, I've watched it and used the workaround when the issue does happen so thanks a lot for figuring it out and sharing!

Reactions: auzzam_crd

As the person who started this thread it is a relief to finally see Audi admitting to the issue and saying it is due to be fixed at the end of November. Seeing as it has affected so many cars across VWMG since 2017 it is crazy it has taken them this long.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: DreamInCode and nuggett
I received this this week in relation to my ongoing issues...

I am aware that you are experiencing a concern with your Audi relating to the eCall system that, for some customers, results in the display of an amber ‘SOS emergency call function’ warning and may also intermittently cause disruption to the Audi MMI system.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your patience while we await the software solution to be approved by the regulatory authorities and secondly, I wanted to provide you with as much information as possible relating to this concern.

As your Audi Centre may have already informed you, the cause of the issue is due to an unforeseen conflict between the relevant control unit/s in the car and signals provided by mobile phone masts. The volume of issues is worse in specific areas of the country (typically the London area and certain major conurbations).

Due to the complexity of this situation and the testing required it has taken longer than expected to develop the solution, as well as requiring the involvement and approval of the KBA (the German Federal Motor Transport authority).

Whilst this doesn’t necessarily help your situation, I hope that it does allow you to be as informed as possible and understand that your Audi Centre is doing all that is possible to resolve your concern.

Please rest assured that we are doing our best to get the solution approved and launched at the earliest opportunity and thank you for bearing with us while we work to resolve this issue.

The latest information provided by AUDI AG is that we can expect the software solution for your car to be available around the end of November.

As the situation progresses we will of course keep your Audi Centre up-to-date with developments. But the situation is complex and requires involvement of parties outside of our direct control.

I have requested that Bolton Audi contact you once this is available for the update to be carried out.

I ran into a White Edition 1 Saloon A3 gentlemen at Gallions Reach shopping area carpark (maybe you are even on this forum) and we started chatting about software woes, he mentioned his dealer mentioned to him this fix should be available within the next couple of weeks

Thats what I got from Audi.

Mine being tfsie, the wait will go on…

C99C6CAF D3AB 4FDA A920 18DEBD59839A

Reactions: Vivek and Mryolon
I have the SOS Malfunction too.
Q3, 2020, UK 70-plate, from new, 14 months.

The YouTube guy's "fix" did nothing, other than get me a short chat with a bloke on the emergency line. and waste a half hour of my time ;)

Off to the dealer on Monday, but from this thread, I'm thinking there is no fix at present until the 'experts' come up with a revision of their (obviously poor) code.

The letter from Stefan Wyatt is interesting - perhaps everyone experiencing the issue should write to him directly?

Whilst I appreciate my car is still functional, it's a real annoyance, especially when I reflect back on the £42k I paid for the thing.

For me works when i get sos error then i hold button for aroubd 60 second and most of time gets off itself

For me works when i get sos error then i hold button for aroubd 60 second and most of time gets off itself
I hold the button for about 8 secs and it starts the process of contacting and after a further 8 seconds the operator is speaking.
If I continue to hold the button, then nothing more happens.

When I release, the messages/alerts/warnings/icons are all still there unchanged.

My one call once but i was able to cancel.it maybe you hold it not long enough or too long