Sorting the high miler!

00monkeyboy00

Reaction score
Morning guys,
so about 3 months ago I join the 20v fold and I have to say.......I love it!! I brought an a3 8l 1.8t sport with a gas conversion, mot till dec but no tax. Set me back the princely sum of........£475!

however......she came with 219k on the clock and the plan was/is to get her back to a decent(ish) standard.

Its safe to say at the price I got it for there were some issues that needed sorting:
1. Wheel bearing
2. Sticky starter motor
3. Boot popped open when turning the ignition
4. Broken headlight bracket
5. Front arb bushes need replacing
6. Esp light on all the time (however it does go off if you have a spirited drive on a roundabout!)
probably more but if can't remember them at the mo!

Wheel bearing has now been sorted, the boot issue has been currently sorted by disconnecting the central locking, as this is a bit of a cheap fix it will get looked at properly but has now dropped down the list :)
Headlights have now been replaced, I know this won't be to everyone's taste but........angel eyes. I visited my local scrappy to find some headlights and that was all they had for an A3, and at £40 for both then I couldn't really say no. I do however want to take them apart and replace the leds used for the angel eyes as they are.......****! Lol

starter will be taken out soon and cleaned up to see if that will rectify that for the short term. Arb bushes will be changed soon, I think they are 21mm as I put a 19mm spanner on the arb and it wasn't big enough.

does anyone have any idea at what the esp light could be, I know that's a pretty open question!

Since doing all this I've taken the car to a local garage just to have a look underneath, and so the list has grown! Lol

7. Ball joint knackered
8. Rocker cover gasket
9. Exhaust has been bodged between the cat and centre section
10. Top mounts will need changing soon

plan is to get these all done and see where I can go from there. Will add some pictures next time round, body work is what you'd expect for an x reg that cost less then £500 ;)

Is there anyone local that could scan for any codes for me? I don't mind travelling, might just give me a better idea as to any other faults, which knowing my luck will result in a list as long as my arm lol

will try and keep this updated as I go, might be a bit of a break as I'm mid house move at the moment. Why do these things always happen at once haha.......typical

cheers guys
chris

Brake lights do come on....could it still be the switch?

Shes on a bit more than that now! :)

Whats your location? Im sure i can someone to do a vcds scan for you. :) x

Im in amesbury near salisbury. Sp47ub. That would be awesome......and probably depressing lol

Will do. Still pulls really well......well I think so anyway, havent been in another one to know the difference!

Keep us posted I didn't know the petrol engines could go that far on mileage.[/Qpetrol can go on for a lot more than that if looked after
my motorway runner B8 is over 200k now

Im on about 223 nearly 224k. Im still surprised how it pulls. Does need some work though lol :)

3uhy2u4a.jpg

Miles are creeping up! :)

There was a mileage thread a while ago on here and it was quite surprising to see how many cars were on 200k+

Impressive mileage figures for a turbocharged petrol engine, I was always under the impression they gave up well before 200k, shows how much I know.. I wonder, do the 20v engines have a longer life expectancy with a k03 as oppose to a k04, less boost pressure maybe means healthier engine for longer ?

Quite possibly. Also guess if its well looked after, regular services then it should last that little bit longer.

Ive now had the codes read by Andy27168, cant thank him enough. absolutely top chap!! If I wasnt half asleep right now id load them onto here. Will have to do a bit of investigating...... so the list of fixes grows!!

Been so hectic the last couple of days what with trying to move house, will be having a look at my vids results later, but from the top of my head I believe I need to change the G200 sensor. I had a quick look to see how much these were but they were so dam expensive when all your trying to move lol. Does anyone know a good place to get one? Plus where the hell is that sensor located? :tocktock: lol

G200 is one of the lateral accelerator sensors (or longitudinal sensor) there are 2x of them, one is behind the glovebox on a bracket on the dash bar, take off the dashboard side trim cover and you can see it, its a little black cube about 30mm sq, with a brassy coloured bracket. The other one is the same sensor type but on a bracket on the steering column with the yaw sensor.

That info is based on early A3's, later ones with ESP had an all on one sensor on the steering column, strangely later 4motions (even up to 53 and later S3's up to 52) had the 3x individual sensors, at least thats my experience from breaking these cars for the last 5 years. I will have one if required but please make sure you know what type you need (just a quick look really behind that passenger side dash cover)