Sootpig's A3 track/drag car

Yeah i'm shifitng really early because of the power band. My hard cut rev limiter is actually set at 6200! No point reving beyond that on the k03.

But it does mean i'm crossing the line in 5th. Looking at the logs, it takes me roughly 0.5 seconds to change gear :( lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Prawn
Yeah i'm shifitng really early because of the power band. My hard cut rev limiter is actually set at 6200! No point reving beyond that on the k03.

But it does mean i'm crossing the line in 5th. Looking at the logs, it takes me roughly 0.5 seconds to change gear :( lol.

I'd say that's pretty ******* good

Reactions: Prawn
that's what I was thinking, gearchange is costing you loads!

If you nudged the hard cut to 6400rpm that'd give you 101mph at the limiter. Do you reckon it might be worth holding out in 4th and trying that? Or is the ko3 really dead on it's **** by that point?

Whilst it's just obvious maths, it's crazy how the useful revs change in gear speeds so much!

It might be worth holding the gears longer, but i doubt it! 13.5 second 1/4 must mean i'm doing something right, even with 4 gear changes.

The whole situatuation will change when the slicks go on, as they're massive, and will expand increasing my final drive ratio during the run.

Reactions: g60leigh
Just a quick update;

Spring speed nationals last weekend was wet. Very wet.

I ran without Nitrous all weekend, because of the knock sensor issues, but the same issue occurs without gas, so that's not the problem as I initially thought. Even tried changing the fuel in case of a dodgy batch, but it remained the same.

Looks like i'll have to get it back on the dyno with det cans to see what's really going on. Chances are the knock detection is just being overly sensitive.

But anyway, I made it through to round 1 of eliminations at shakey, before the event was rained off.

Points wise I am currently 3rd in VW Sportsman :)

Been neglecting this thread a little bit lately, not had the time to keep on top of the forums and social media.

Anyway, This season in the A3 has been amazing, My rookie year in the VWDRC didn't go quite as well as I planned, but that's mostly down to me chasing numbers rather than trying to do well where it really matter (consistency).

But I digress, this weekend may well mark the end of 'the goose' as we know it. The car has reached the tipping point, whereby I either fork out the money to fit a roll cage, OR I change plan all together.Just as I was about to pull the trigger on the cage, another opportunity presented itself, and well, It's going to be an emotional goodbye.

The building of this car coincided with my late father's ill health and ultimately his death, and the hours I put into building this car over the winter were all really just a big distraction/release from dealing with life. But without getting too gushy, safe to say this car means more to me than it was ever supposed to.

But that's not to say my racing days are over. There are 'bigger' and better things in the pipeline. The A3 will be doing it's final season through 2017 while i continue work on the next project in the background.

That project being a '94 Audi 80.

It's going to be fun, expensive, and silly.

Reactions: S3 Hilife